IGNORED

Last Ride For The Season...

bongobobny

...and it left me stranded!! I was just out riding this afternoon on back roads around me when I smelled a kind of burning rubber aroma. I looked down and noticed the voltmeter was flashing 2 red led's at me indicating a charging issue. So I plugged in "Home" into the GPS for the quickest route home. First obstacle was a farm tractor in a no passing zone. No, I do NOT break the law and pass on a double solid, especially around curves! Finally got around him and the next obstacle, 2 bridge construction zones with 1 lane open. Hit both of them with red lights. Starting to worry now, don't have my cell phone with me! Got to about 1 mile from home and the bike sputtered and died luckily in front of a business parking lot so I coasted/sputtered in. Long story short, walked home, got wife and jumper cables to make it the rest of the way home. We charged my battery via wife's car charging system.

Sooo, now I have to see what took a dump, the stator or the voltage regulator. Probably won't do it until spring, I'm putting the trike away for the winter!!!

My battery took a dump on me Labor day. Luckily another rider at the motel had a mini battery jumper and got me going Tuesday AM so I could get to the shop and buy a battery. I bought 2 immediately. One for the bike and one for the car.

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-sale-15000mAH-2013-Jump/dp/B00GX4Y9AY/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1445458765&sr=1-7&keywords=mini+battery+jump+starter

Bob,

Kinda a similar story with our daughters bike, she had it with her at school rode out to a friends house and when it was time to go, the bike didn't want to go. I drove up to Peterborough and brought it home on the trailer, threw the battery on the charger, put it in and the bike started right up, let the bike sit for a couple of days and took it out for a ride tonight going from the RSV to the Virago, ones knees and legs feel a bit cramped but it was still fun riding a smaller bike. Before next season it will be time to get a new battery for the virago. But I will watch it until it is parked for the winter.

Mike

At least you got an intentional last ride of the season.

Mine ended when my back went out and I didn't even know the previous days ride to work was going to be my last ride of the season.

:(

Look at it this way maybe: your last ride of the season was a memorable one!

:)

Glad ya made er home safe and sound Bongo!!:thumbsup: Also glad you got a chance to get out on that scoot one final time to brother:dancefool:!!

IMHO, ya should have borrowed a stention cord from someone (like @bikerjohn), bought a battery charger and charged your way to @Squidley 's in Texas, could have found a way to extend the ride season!!:smile5:

That thar Texan sure knows his way around stator problems,, and he n Lonna are purdy dog gone good with Fried Chicken fir a couple of lop eared varmint Texans too:big-grin-emoticon:..

attachment.php?attachmentid=102095&d=1445475365

attachment.php?attachmentid=102094&d=1445475365

attachment.php?attachmentid=102093&d=1417126529

attachment.php?attachmentid=102092&d=1404802779

DSCN3585.JPG

DSCN3588.JPG

DSCN3571.JPG

DSCN3563.JPG

Glad you made it home safe and sound Bob. Our trikes are about the same age, so makes me wonder. I did change my battery this summer, but there is

no telling when the stator or voltage regulator will go. Have concerns that this may happen in the middle of nowhere. Oh well, both our trikes are sleeping

for the winter. Washed and tucked mine in yesterday.

Bob and Leo sorry to hear that the trikes are put away for the rest of the year. I am still riding but it will not be very much longer till I join you two. I will ride tomorrow and Friday to work and take the wife for a ride on Sat. then we will see what the weather brings in the next couple weeks.

Being a Californian, we do things a little differently out here. I look forward to the approach of winter with the same exuberation that you folks have for the approach of summer. With the drought we have had, summers have been made up of weeks on end with temperatures hovering around 95, warming up to 100, then just flat rising to 104. Week after week. So, now, with winter approaching, morning temperatures will be around 55 when I go to work. 55 is my favorite temperature. It will eventually go to 40 or below, but my biker clothing can take it. So, my riding season is just beginning!

I've got my bike ready to "park" for the winter. Was great weather this week so I had it out a few days. Daily high this weekend is supposed to be mid 40's with lows below freezing.

I live about 2 blocks away from a gas station so I went for a ride and got in to the reserve. Put 1/3 can of Seafoam in and rode to the gas station. Filled it with 94 octane and parked in the garage.

Haven't put away my gear yet....just in case we get another spell of nice weather.

Rock on GW!!! :guitarist 2::guitarist 2::banana::banana: Actually I spent a fair amount of time playing on the ice with my KX500 back in the day, it did a great job and was a ton of fun BUT,, I actually think ol Crud the V-Max would make even more chipped ice for the snocone party afterwards - look at the trench that puppy makes :178::witch_brew::happy65::bowdown:

Looking/listening to that Youtube vid, sure looks like familiar pipes - :think:even sounds familiar:cool10:!

Thanks brother!!:thumbsup: