IGNORED

Bike crash story heard at the barber shop last week !

GeorgeS

The Barber told me the story, so it must be true !!

Well it was bad, won't go into details, however will say this. If ??? you pull a trailer behind

your bike, Be Darn Sure you have the best tires available on your trailer !!!!!

And, keep them serviced !!!! These folks have had their life's destroyed, bye one blown Trailer tire !!

Brother that don't sound good - condolences and Prayers Up for all involved!! Thanks George for looking out for us by providing the reminder!! Also might add its not a bad idea to keep a close eye on wheel bearing condition and grease content too.. Most bike trailers arent packed to heavy but they do have pretty small wheels on them and they are really spinning some R's back there..

That is a terrible idea. If you choose to pull a trailer, as I do, then you are responsible for the safety of those around you also. OK...so maybe if your trailer comes off it could take you down. That is a scenario that you should be willing to accept if you pull a trailer. I accept that responsibility. What I could not accept would be MY trailer coming off and causing the injury or death of a fellow rider or a mini van with a family and young kids inside because I was more concerned about my safety than those around me. If you aren't going to hook up the chains and pull that trailer as safely as possible, then you should not pull it.

That is a terrible idea. If you choose to pull a trailer, as I do, then you are responsible for the safety of those around you also. OK...so maybe if your trailer comes off it could take you down. That is a scenario that you should be willing to accept if you pull a trailer. I accept that responsibility. What I could not accept would be MY trailer coming off and causing the injury or death of a fellow rider or a mini van with a family and young kids inside because I was more concerned about my safety than those around me. If you aren't going to hook up the chains and pull that trailer as safely as possible, then you should not pull it.

You typed up your reply a lot quicker than I was able to Freebird. I totally agree with Freebird on his reply and feel the same exact way about it.

I choose to pull a trailer and I will ALWAYS connect the safety chains when ever I do pull one.

I would rather go down on my own than to take out another biker, a family or a child any day.

If you don't want to connect the safety chains you have no reason to be pulling a trailer ever, and I will NOT ride with you.

i dont know about various states laws , but in ontario it is against the law to not have safety chains on any trailer being towed.. the DOT patrol cars will ticket/ impound unsafe trailers and vehicles..I tow a work trailer 3 days a week 24' enclsed and 22' flatdeck picking up motorcycles and i agree i do not want to injure anyone..if you dont want to ride safe ..stay home

I agree with Freebird!

I pull a trailer when I take rides where I will be out more than a week and would never think of not making sure everyone around me is safe.

When it comes to safety there is no difference between pulling a trailer behind a motorcycle than pulling a 40ft trailer with a pickup or semi, YOU are responsible for that trailer and what happens with it.

The safety chain is there to protect others around you from possible injury or death should the trailer become disconnected.

My Go-To trailer has 12" automotive wheels and tires with bearings that need to be maintained just like a bigger trailers do.

DSCF0317 - Copy.JPG

I do not use bearing buddies on this trailer as I like to make sure the grease goes into the bearings and not just around the shaft.

I also have an older Bushtec which uses sealed bearings. I replaced these this year since I am completely rebuilding this trailer from the ground up.

If you are not willing to take responsibility of riding safely with a trailer sell it and pack less stuff next trip.

One Thousand percent agree !!!

Jakester, it dawned on me that these responses may have come across as personal attacks. That was NOT my intention when I replied. I know that you were just mentioning something that you were told and the thoughts you had about it. There is nothing wrong with that. I was not attacking you personally, simply pointing out the other side of the equation that everybody needs to think about. Sorry if it came across wrong.

I buy new tires every two years, and my spare is new too.

my trailer came with the sure buddie axles, so I grease every 1000 miles, ( they suggest 3000)

I have Carabineers, that lock my trailer in place ( mountain climbing ) and checking your trailer at every gas stop is MOST important. Tires ( including bike tires ) chains, hitch to ball connection, and lights, Brake, run, turning & 4 ways

"My Bike Bell says" Never ride faster then your angle can fly, Well she cruises nicely at 60 mph

Thing is to keep your chains as tight as possible. Many times we think that we need to have at least so much slack. Best to set the trailer at 90 degree angle and then measure the chains. Chains that are properly crossed and have the right length should catch the tongue before it hits the road or catches the back wheel, if it should become disconnected. Yes if it does come apart, there will be a reaction to the bike and the rider will have to contend with the result, but if the chains are too loose, the tongue can dig into the road and then all h3ll will break loose.

Ok...To all you blow hards...I had an opinion given to me that I passed along, I even thought about it. Opinions are like ,well you know, everybody has one, and a lot of them stink.

I ran over 5000 miles last month 2 up most with a trailer(yes with safety chains connected) Heck I even met a few of our venture rider brethren out there. Saw lots of really neet rides and some not so neet. To those of you that do not want to ride with me , Im fine with that, I don't think you were invited. As for me and mine, I will continue to ride and visit and gather opinions(good and bad) heck I might even share one or two. If I cross your path, I may even listen to what you have to say, If I find it interesting, I may choose to share it.

If you do not take a stand...

You must first say nothing...

You must do nothing...

Then you must be nothing...

Somebody famous said that (do not recall who right now)

Thanks Freebird for your clarification.

God is in control, when he is ready to call me home , I will follow.

Bill

Ok...To all you blow hards...I had an opinion given to me that I passed along, I even thought about it. Opinions are like ,well you know, everybody has one, and a lot of them stink.

I ran over 5000 miles last month 2 up most with a trailer(yes with safety chains connected) Heck I even met a few of our venture rider brethren out there. Saw lots of really neet rides and some not so neet. To those of you that do not want to ride with me , Im fine with that, I don't think you were invited. As for me and mine, I will continue to ride and visit and gather opinions(good and bad) heck I might even share one or two. If I cross your path, I may even listen to what you have to say, If I find it interesting, I may choose to share it.

If you do not take a stand...

You must first say nothing...

You must do nothing...

Then you must be nothing...

Somebody famous said that (do not recall who right now)

Thanks Freebird for your clarification.

God is in control, when he is ready to call me home , I will follow.

Bill

Can vouch for that Sturgis ride Bill, IT WAS GREAT MEETING YOU THERE and look forward to hooking up again sometime:fingers-crossed-emo..