IGNORED

Got sick of looking for an iPhone handlebar mount - made my own 3D printed one!

GothicJB

After looking around the internet and local shops I tired of trying to find a reasonable mount for my iPhone 6 plus that would attach to the handlebar on my 2001 V Star Classic. I decided I should put the good old 3D printer to use and fired up my CAD software and designed my own. I love it and it works great!

I just thought I'd share with everyone in case anyone else is in the same boat.

Here is a link to the 3D printer design model in case you have your own 3D printer: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:968589

As I said this fits a 6 Plus but later this week I'll be working on a couple other sizes assuming there is interest. It takes about 4 hours to print out but turned out very nice and solid.

IMG_2635.jpg IMG_2636.jpg IMG_2637.jpg IMG_2638.jpg IMG_2639.jpg

JB

Jason, that's a hoot!

Now if only you took orders...

Let's see:

One unit to hold tiny mp3 player with gopro mount

One unit to hold tiny (SD size) bluetooth receiver

One unit to hold Droid

...wait...how about one unit that does all the above!

Grins!

david

p.s. Seriously, well done...

Videoarizona: if you can send me dimensions of each as well as photos I could possibly whip something up for ya. Or at least have some fun trying. I'd only charge for the cost of filament and postage :). Someone just asked me to buy mine so I'm printing another tonight.

So how does the phone actually stay in the mount. My current mount is a RAM and the X type. I have an LG2 Previous to this I had a mount I got off e-bay and it had a small ledge sort of on the bottom and then the side pieces "pushed in to clamp" the sides.

I used standard PLA and a pretty decent infill so it should hold up just fine. I have a sleeve I printed to slide over my ham radio car antenna to keep it from folding over once I get past 60mph and that held up just perfect all summer and winter in Minnesota

After looking around the internet and local shops I tired of trying to find a reasonable mount for my iPhone 6 plus that would attach to the handlebar on my 2001 V Star Classic. I decided I should put the good old 3D printer to use and fired up my CAD software and designed my own. I love it and it works great!

I just thought I'd share with everyone in case anyone else is in the same boat.

Here is a link to the 3D printer design model in case you have your own 3D printer: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:968589

As I said this fits a 6 Plus but later this week I'll be working on a couple other sizes assuming there is interest. It takes about 4 hours to print out but turned out very nice and solid.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101076[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]101077[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]101078[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]101079[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]101080[/ATTACH]

JB

Now I have a very serious question. Can you 3d print the materials needed to make the side panel vents for the first gen ventures?

I have a Derringer with plastic grips that are cracked, if I were to send the grips to you do you think you could duplicate them? I need 4 pair, 1 for myself and the other 3 for friends with the same one.

The grip itself shouldn't be too difficult if I have one to work with and measure out. The problem is if there is any detail on the grip like knurling or whatever. I'd be willing to try though.

The grip itself shouldn't be too difficult if I have one to work with and measure out. The problem is if there is any detail on the grip like knurling or whatever. I'd be willing to try though.

There is knurling but I'm not to concerned about an exact duplicate, a texture like what's in the center of the phone holder would be fine but you're welcome to try some different techniques. They are 357 cal and can be interesting to shoot [emoji12]

That just looks like to much fun, being able to print stuff.

The 357 derringer sounds like fun to......

Which 3d printer do you have?

Over all are you happy with it?

I am getting much closer to getting my work convinced that I.......I mean "they" need one.

Pics, we need pics of the printer too..........

Here is the printer :)

PowerSpec 3D Pro Printer from Microcenter.

Software I use:

123D Design for the drafting and Simplify3D for the slicing and printing.

I would say I am beyond impressed with this printers performance especially in conjunction with the software I'm using.

IMG_2184.jpg IMG_2183.jpg IMG_2186.jpg

Below it are all the colors I have to print in at the moment as well as bright green and yellow.

JB

Now I have a very serious question. Can you 3d print the materials needed to make the side panel vents for the first gen ventures?

Are either of these the vents your asking about?

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/17/2e15ac6a55e3458d96633aa9113482a9.jpg

Are either of these the vents your asking about?

I don't believe the 83s and 84s had the side panel grill like I'm talking about. Maybe I can send you my good one to see what you could do

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/17/2e15ac6a55e3458d96633aa9113482a9.jpg

I don't believe the 83s and 84s had the side panel grill like I'm talking about. Maybe I can send you my good one to see what you could do

I'm guessing this is what you are talking about:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101190[/ATTACH]

if so, unfortunately, the size is too big for the footprint of my build platform on my 3d printer.

Yup that is exactly it. I'm trying to find a good reliable set and will pay big money