IGNORED

New Tires...New Bike

pope3567

Heading out this Wednesday for Venture West in Yreka. Should be a great time even with temps expected to be 100+. Bike is all prepped, oil and filter changed, fluids checked, all aired up, and ready to roll.

More to the point, as part of my prep I decided to replace both tires. Wanted to get the original Dunlops off the bike even though it may have been a tad early at only 8000 miles. After reading as much as possible here regarding tire options, I decided to go with the Commander IIs. All I can say is WOW!!

She's a new bike. I expected some improvement, always used Michelins on previous bikes and all autos, but never expected this. After 300+ miles on the new rubber in all conditions, I just want to pass on a couple of observations.

Low speed handling - it feels like the bike is 400 pounds lighter. Turns on a dime without that top heavy, "am I going to drop her?" feeling. The narrower front tire (130 vs 150) is remarkable at all speeds.

Comfort and feel at speed and above - solid footing, hugs the road like a lizard. Remember (some of you anyway) the old Goodyear 'tiger paw' commercials where the car tires turned into actual tiger paws to demonstrate how well the tires gripped the road? Yeah, like that. Even the wife said "I feel a lot safer now, these tires feel great."

Cornering - I can lean deeper into the curves, scrape the floorboards if needed, and power out without feeling like the bike might slide out from under me. The top heavy feeling is gone completely, the bike feels and responds like a high spirited cruiser. She corners and responds almost intuitively; that feeling you get when you become one with the bike (sorry if that sounds too Zen-ish).

Wobble - previously at any speed when I released the handle bars, I had a slight front-end wobble. No big deal, I just assumed it was a characteristic of the bike. I checked the front forks, tried different air pressures, checked tire balance, shock pressure, etc. to no avail. Now, the wobble is gone, completely. Steady as a rock...

In short, she's a new bike and all I can say is WOW! I liked the bike before...comfortable, smooth, responsive up to a point...but now I've fallen in love with her all over again and can't wait to CTFW as far and as often as she'll let me.

WOW!!!

Wow, that's quite a testimony! You sound like a kid who got new tennis shoes and is excited because now he can run faster and jump higher!

Is it really that drastic of a difference? I can't wait to wear out my D404's and go with a 130 front!

Yes, really that much difference. I've been riding bikes for 50 years, many makes and models. Used to run Metzlers...good tire, pretty good wear. Switched to Michelins and noticed a better ride, better stability. I've had my 2012 Venture now for about a year, original owner so had the factory Dunlops on her. Made the switch to Commander IIs last week and all I can say is WOW! Apologies if I sound like a kid in a candy store but I am truly amazed at the difference.

I have 32000 kms (Just under 20000 miles)on my back COmmander2 and I have just ordered a replacement for it for next week. I agree with everything that has been said about the C2 tires, the best tires I have had on any bike, but I found they liked to have the pressure just shy of max recommended on the tire.

Brian

Guys very often don't believe me when I tell them the single biggest change you can make to your bike is tires.

I'm looking to put the Michelin's on my 83 next year.

I've always been a big fan of Michelin's on everything I own. Usually, they give me excellent wear and grip on whatever I put them on. Can't wait to try their motorcycle tires...

Glad you like them. I ran them on my Vulcan and liked them too. Almost put them on my RSV but went E3. No complaints bur maybe next time I will try the Commander 2's and the smaller front. I am old enough to remember "Uniroyal Tiger Paws".

I just got the C2's on my venture. Ive got almost 100 miles so far and they ride nice. I had avons before and logged 17400 miles on them. Not quiet worn out back tire,but close enough. Front still ok, replaced it anyway. They did great for me too. Hope the C2's are as good or better.

Bill

Like I said in another post, it's not the same bike with the CII's. I put a set of the original Commanders on the '04 I had and I could feel some difference with those, but the diff here is the smaller front. Pope, do you have leveling links on your's?

I always run Michelin's on all my cars and trucks. I really like the Avons. I have talked a couple of friends into trying them and they say the same thing I felt, put on the Avons and the bike feels 200 lbs lighter.