IGNORED

Silly question for Harley owners.

Flyinfool

Do the big Harleys have a safety switch on the side stand?

A few weks ago, I was sitting at a red light, oncoming traffic had a green left turn arrow. I saw a bike coming toward me in the left turn lane and noticed something sticking out the left side. Just about the time I realized it was the side stand he leaned into his left turn. You guessed it, he high sided hard. Fortunately he was only going about 15 MPH and did a good job of tuck and roll and had no injuries other than some minor road rash. After a couple of tumbles he was on his feet before the bike stopped sliding, The bike had some pretty serious damage, when it slid into the curb. Bent fork, handlebar, everything on right side had rash and or was bent. He got POed at me when I said I saw his side stand down before the turn. He was blaming gravel, but intersection looked clean to me.

But I was just wondering if there is supposed to be a side stand switch like we have to prevent that from happening.

I guy in our office rides a 2013 and he does not have the safety switch. I caught him taking off from one of our fuel stops last year with it down. Not sure of the model but it is one of the touring models

I think all stands on all bikes use an "over center" mechanism to lock them down. This means that it WILL rise the left side of the bike higher than when resting on the stand. This is why it is so violent when the stand kits in a turn.

So on a wing you can not have the motor running to warm up on the side stand while you gear up?

I knew a fellow who lost his life in a kickstand accident 30 some years ago. He was a new rider and apparently just forgot to put it up when he pulled onto the road. High-sided into a telephone pole. A friend has a 2013 Ultra and we have discussed the switch. Coming from Honda he doesn't like the no switch on the Harley.

I had a 1977 GoldWing once that either didn't have one or the switch didn't work on it. I messed up once, scared me bad, was lucky not to crash. I was pulling out of a parking lot and it drug on the rise onto the highway. My riding buddy rode an ElectrGlide and said no switch was normal. I was young, dumb and lucky.

I found out my Ultra did not have a "jiffy stand" switch (Harley does not call them kick stands) when I accidentally hit the starter without the clutch pulled in it jumped about 3 feet.

Holy Crap ... thats insane.....

My 2014 Ultra does not have a switch but it is interesting that you direct this to harley bikes only. I have had 7 bikes in my lifetime (this is the first harley ) and the only two bikes that had the switch was my 2004 rsv and my 1978 yamaha 750 special. I like the safety feature of the switch and wish the new one had it but the majority of bikes do not have one. In 40 years of riding only left the kickstand down once and that was on my 1983 goldwing. First lean left and you knew it right away. Lucky not to crash it. I agree that it should be mandatory on all bikes no matter the size.