IGNORED

Rear Lower Fairing

Have been putting miles on my bike recently, and have been somewhat annoyed by the amount of heat coming up from the rear cylinder bank....not a deal breaker by any stretch, but still annoying. Seems if I ride with my feet towards the back of my boards my calves heat up....easy enough to just skooch up abit but this is not my "natural" position. I have noticed several bikes, both MK I and MK II's with a vent which covers that hole in the lower rear plastic....Is that an OE part or is it aftermarket? Searched EBay and CL for weeks and haven't seen any come up.

~Hot Legs in Wisconsin~

Have been putting miles on my bike recently, and have been somewhat annoyed by the amount of heat coming up from the rear cylinder bank....not a deal breaker by any stretch, but still annoying. Seems if I ride with my feet towards the back of my boards my calves heat up....easy enough to just skooch up abit but this is not my "natural" position. I have noticed several bikes, both MK I and MK II's with a vent which covers that hole in the lower rear plastic....Is that an OE part or is it aftermarket? Searched EBay and CL for weeks and haven't seen any come up.

~Hot Legs in Wisconsin~

Starting with the 1985 Venture, Yamaha added the louvered, adjustable open or closed side cover vent. Even if you find the louvered cover from a 1985 and newer, the vent will not mount to your 1984 side cover easily. You will want to get a 1985 and newer sidecover.

There were aftermarket (Yamaha VentureLine and Markland Industries) suppliers for the "port hole" cover on the 1983 and 1984. The aftermarket covers were chromed steel.

Most guys just cover that hole in the early sidecover with the material of their choice. Plastic or metal. Of course the solid hole covers are not adjustable.

Heat shields, ABA-26HCD-15-00, $51 2013.jpgHeatshields and chrome trim, MKI $56.jpg

SCORE!!!!!

Went to local Motorcycle Graveyard to search for some collars and grommets....had to look through about 50 sets of Venture side covers, but scored these for $10!

http://s821.photobucket.com/user/Patmac6075/media/Venture20Side20Cover20Heat20Sheild.jpg.html

I've had thoughts of building adjustable lovers for the openings. A bit like the 85-ish and up lovers, but behind the opening instead of in/in front of it. An open all the way type of thing instead of just the small adjustable opening on the OEM version.

Mostly because I have also noticed a tendency for my calves to roast sitting still in hot weather.....

SCORE!!!!!

Went to local Motorcycle Graveyard to search for some collars and grommets....had to look through about 50 sets of Venture side covers, but scored these for $10!

http://s821.photobucket.com/user/Patmac6075/media/Venture20Side20Cover20Heat20Sheild.jpg.html

That must be some kinda graveyard to have so much Venture stuff. Where do you live? Where is "MKE"?

I've had thoughts of building adjustable lovers for the openings. A bit like the 85-ish and up lovers, but behind the opening instead of in/in front of it. An open all the way type of thing instead of just the small adjustable opening on the OEM version.
I wish I had lovers with adjustable openings. :buttkick:

Well.... actually what you meant would be louvers which is the American version. The Brits, ergo Canadians, would make it louvres :sign07:

You can thank the French for the spelling of that word.

:sign13: Couldn't help putting on my vocabulary police hat. :sign13:

Mostly because I have also noticed a tendency for my calves to roast sitting still in hot weather.....
Shortly after getting my very nice condition 89 VR I found one of the side vents had a broken attachment point so rather than fixing it I removed both vent covers. In any case, I think it looks better that way because it shows off more of the engine. During the winter there was not enough heat to feel but it probably helped to keep my legs a bit warmer. Now that the temps have gotten into the 70's F I can feel the heat when at a stop but not in a way that is uncomfortable. If it gets into the 80's here and people are dropping like flies it might be necessary to re-think the situation. Have to wait and see.

I wish I had lovers with adjustable openings. :buttkick:

Well.... actually what you meant would be louvers which is the American version. The Brits, ergo Canadians, would make it louvres :sign07:

You can thank the French for the spelling of that word.

:sign13: Couldn't help putting on my vocabulary police hat. :sign13:

Shortly after getting my very nice condition 89 VR I found one of the side vents had a broken attachment point so rather than fixing it I removed both vent covers. In any case, I think it looks better that way because it shows off more of the engine. During the winter there was not enough heat to feel but it probably helped to keep my legs a bit warmer. Now that the temps have gotten into the 70's F I can feel the heat when at a stop but not in a way that is uncomfortable. If it gets into the 80's here and people are dropping like flies it might be necessary to re-think the situation. Have to wait and see.

Meh, spell check got me....and Canadians are not "Brits".

Not by a long shot.

:)

Meh, spell check got me....and Canadians are not "Brits".

Not by a long shot.

:)

Meh... talk about denial... and that's not the river. :banana:

The Brits are a polyglot Heinz 57 group that over the centuries have been invaded by almost everyone. Starting with Heinz then Sven, Louie, Ahmed and Cordoba... before inviting half of Asia and Africa in. Canadians are almost the same starting with the Brits and French before inviting the rest of the world in. The Victoria area where I live is full of displaced Brits and the East Coasters still talk funny just like the Brits or Scots, if you prefer. Multiculturalism has its ups and downs but for the most part is a good thing.

:canada:

I know, :sign06: :sign20: :sign back to topic: