IGNORED

Ontario members to International

XV1100SE

Just wondering what the plans are for riding to the International.

I'm working on the Friday (possibly 1/2 day) and could either leave Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.

I only see a couple people listed as a "yes", but lets start the discussions now.

My initial plan is to leave Sat or Sunday morning. Lay over just before Indianapolis and continue the next day. The route I plan on taking is one I am fairly familiar with as our family takes it several times a year to visit my wifes family in Highland IL just an hour outside of ST Charles on the IL side of the river. It is a good traveler friendly route and we have come to prefer it over crossing at Detroit or passing through Chicago. If I leave Sunday I will be going directly to the campground. If I leave Sat I will most likely Stop off in Highland and spend the night there.

Here is the route I am talking about.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/2309+Fassel+Ave,+Burlington,+ON+L7R+3P4/370+Lakeside+RV+Campground,+1000+Lakeside+Park+Drive,+Saint+Peters,+MO+63376,+United+States/@39.8571981,-86.1672673,9z/data=!4m24!4m23!1m15!1m1!1s0x882b61dd2ca0cfc9:0x1047780c66c061fc!2m2!1d-79.8052305!2d43.344694!3m4!1m2!1d-85.0489758!2d41.606275!3s0x8816244f3ab4fd1b:0x2c2b06ed36fb49e0!3m4!1m2!1d-86.0548396!2d39.7146181!3s0x886b4507776045d3:0xf23b98265ec54459!1m5!1m1!1s0x87df27d7b3e2a2f3:0x629c86c259695ebd!2m2!1d-90.57489!2d38.82258!3e0?hl=en

I'm off the Fri. right through to Sept.

I had spoken to Ben and was planning on doing what "HE" do, on the way down and we were going to share a camp site once we're down there.

After the International my plan is to head North/West to Edmonton, VIA where ever?............to visit my Daughter & Grandson. (Just follow the front wheel in that general direction till I get there.)

I just have to be back home in time, to leave for the WNY rally in August.

So really I'm easy with whatever we come up with............

My initial plan is to leave Sat or Sunday morning. Lay over just before Indianapolis and continue the next day. The route I plan on taking is one I am fairly familiar with as our family takes it several times a year to visit my wifes family in Highland IL just an hour outside of ST Charles on the IL side of the river. It is a good traveler friendly route and we have come to prefer it over crossing at Detroit or passing through Chicago. If I leave Sunday I will be going directly to the campground. If I leave Sat I will most likely Stop off in Highland and spend the night there.

Here is the route I am talking about.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/2309+Fassel+Ave,+Burlington,+ON+L7R+3P4/370+Lakeside+RV+Campground,+1000+Lakeside+Park+Drive,+Saint+Peters,+MO+63376,+United+States/@39.8571981,-86.1672673,9z/data=!4m24!4m23!1m15!1m1!1s0x882b61dd2ca0cfc9:0x1047780c66c061fc!2m2!1d-79.8052305!2d43.344694!3m4!1m2!1d-85.0489758!2d41.606275!3s0x8816244f3ab4fd1b:0x2c2b06ed36fb49e0!3m4!1m2!1d-86.0548396!2d39.7146181!3s0x886b4507776045d3:0xf23b98265ec54459!1m5!1m1!1s0x87df27d7b3e2a2f3:0x629c86c259695ebd!2m2!1d-90.57489!2d38.82258!3e0?hl=en

With regards to my previous post I would prefer to leave Sat morning rather than Sunday. This way we would be going through or around Indianapolis on the Sunday rather than Monday which avoid heavier Monday morning traffic.

With regards to my previous post I would prefer to leave Sat morning rather than Sunday. This way we would be going through or around Indianapolis on the Sunday rather than Monday which avoid heavier Monday morning traffic.

Sounds like some sort of plan! Good with me....:Venture:

• 1 month later...

So as stated earlier I am still up for leaving Sat AM crossing at Sarnia, staying in fort Wayne which is pretty much 1/2 way roughly 7 - 8 hours from Burlington & and has plenty of motels. This way we would be going through Indianapolis Sunday about mid morning and traffic should be relatively light. The route I would take is posted in my earlier post in this thread. My wife Is returning from St Louis using the same route as I write this and she will be able to update me on any i(f any) road construction and conditions When she gets home.

Edited by saddlebum

Hey Ben, just an FYI. If you are taking I-94 west out of Detroit you can catch M 12 at Yipsilanti. It's a great 2 lane ride through the Irish Hills and goes by MIS. Then catch 69 at Coldwater MI. I used to take this route all the time in my street rod heading to a show in Fort Wayne. A shorter route would be I 75 to Toledo then the new 24 bypass over to Fort Wayne. They've re-routed 24 all the way from Toledo to I 469 and it now bypasses all the small towns along there.

We just come home from Branson, MO on part of your route. I-70 was in fair shape with little road work. Traffic was not too bad on Friday afternoon when we got to Indy. We got a motel in Richmond, IN for the night then on Home on Sat.

Hey Ben, just an FYI. If you are taking I-94 west out of Detroit you can catch M 12 at Yipsilanti. It's a great 2 lane ride through the Irish Hills and goes by MIS. Then catch 69 at Coldwater MI. I used to take this route all the time in my street rod heading to a show in Fort Wayne. A shorter route would be I 75 to Toledo then the new 24 bypass over to Fort Wayne. They've re-routed 24 all the way from Toledo to I 469 and it now bypasses all the small towns along there.
Thanks Gary I will check it out. Turns out on her trip home my wife actually stayed in Coldwater last night. Also my key reason for choosing the route VIA Sarnia is that years ago I used to cross at Windsor and go through Detroit. Over the last Ten years or so we found it much simpler and less trouble some to avoid Detroit and cross at Sarnia. Also despite the fact the the Detroit route is supposed to be shorter and faster we found ourselves actually making better time crossing at Sarnia and following 69 right down to indy and then 70 across which will pretty much take you right to st Charles. Its just a very simple route. Edited by saddlebum

Narrowing down our plans....Going to get a head start by leaving Friday afternoon and staying in Sarnia Friday night (Comfort Inn, Mara St). Cross the border (relatively) early Saturday morning. From Kitchener it is 12 hours to St. Peters and leaving Friday we'll be 2 hours into the ride, leaving 2 days to leisurely cover the remaining 10 hour ride.

Saturday night... thinking of staying at "Glo Wood Campground" (9384 W 700 S, Pendleton, IN 46064) which is 5hr 15m from Sarnia and 30m outside of Indianapolis, leaving us a 4h 30m ride on Sunday.

http://mapq.st/1Cpiqkp

To get an accurate route to post I put a stop in for Laingsburg MI so the attached link properly shows our route. http://mapq.st/1JWLa3y

Spoke with Saddlebum and we'll meet up at the Super 8 (5172 Kaybee Drive, Gas City, IN, 46933) for a Saturday overnight stay. From there we'll go to the International camp ground. I had emailed the camp ground in Pendleton and apparently there is a concert next door to them that evening..so ruling that out. Mapquest still shows that the last leg of our trip to be 5h 15m drive time.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but has anyone heard from The Tooch? Last I heard he was going to pick up his new bike, then nothing for the last couple of weeks. I pm'd him a couple days ago and no reply. He has not posted since last month.

Just checked on Google maps for driving instructions and it shows a lot of road construction on those routs. Ben have you got any update from wife? Is Google maps right?

I am thinking of going now but still figuring out where to stay on way down as don't want to go to motel so checking campgrounds along way. KOA is halfway (5hours)

Would anyone consider splitting site with me? Not sure if taking new to me tent trailer or tent.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but has anyone heard from The Tooch? Last I heard he was going to pick up his new bike, then nothing for the last couple of weeks. I pm'd him a couple days ago and no reply. He has not posted since last month.

Ben (Saddlebum) called me at work today checking in on me. Then I saw this post and PM'd Bob (Steamer) right away to thank him for his concern.

I'm ok just "Life" getting in the way sorry didn't realize I hadn't been on here in so long.

I did drive the 5 hours to Ottawa and picked up my new bike awhile back.

Of course my 1st real ride other then the test ride, since my slide and rode back 5 hours in the rain! :depressed:

Wearing minimal gear as most of my stuff got trashed in the slide and I hadn't yet had the chance or the cash to buy new stuff.

Nothing like climbing right back on that horse that threw ya! :Avatars_Gee_George:

I got the new bike home parked it in the man cave and the next day spent the whole day cleaning and detailing it. It poured rain the whole day! Not much of a day for ridding anyways. The next day got up to it raining and it rained all day again, so I put the bling I pulled off the 2005 on the 2013. Drilling holes for the trunk rack in the new trunk was terrifying! Got most of what I wanted put on that day......but then life decided it wanted attention. I have not so much as cracked the door open to the motorcycle shed since. So no pictures other than the one I took the day I did the test ride. This weekend I plan on doing nothing.....which translates to......maybe spend some time on my new relationship and bond with the new girl. Funny same bike 2013 from the 2005 but coming home she felt different. The same but different, guess it's kind of just like a woman! (That don't get me in trouble, don't know what will?!)

To Dave, Don, Scott, Carl, Bob (No the other Bob, I already thanked you Bob.) and Wayne thanks for checking in on me and sorry I haven't been around to get back to you......

The gang on here is just to much.....but the absolute best!:thumbsup2:

I will get the new lady out for a photo shot and post some picture on the weekend.

As for the International, I'm still a maybe and will be a last minute yes or no.

Just checked on Google maps for driving instructions and it shows a lot of road construction on those routs. Ben have you got any update from wife? Is Google maps right?

I am thinking of going now but still figuring out where to stay on way down as don't want to go to motel so checking campgrounds along way. KOA is halfway (5hours)

Would anyone consider splitting site with me? Not sure if taking new to me tent trailer or tent.

The wife says even with the road construction the driving is good and she actually made good time. Even though she stopped to have a conversation with a state trooper in Indiana who kindly gave her the opportunity to

donate to the state treasury :mo money: .

Apparently the 465 is only a race track during sanctioned race days. :auto::bikersmilie:

Edited by saddlebum

To get an accurate route to post I put a stop in for Laingsburg MI so the attached link properly shows our route. http://mapq.st/1JWLa3y

Spoke with Saddlebum and we'll meet up at the Super 8 (5172 Kaybee Drive, Gas City, IN, 46933) for a Saturday overnight stay. From there we'll go to the International camp ground. I had emailed the camp ground in Pendleton and apparently there is a concert next door to them that evening..so ruling that out. Mapquest still shows that the last leg of our trip to be 5h 15m drive time.

Don there is a good chance that I might start up Friday and meet with you and Nancy in Sarnia. I may even bring Tooch with me if he decides to still go.

...I am thinking of going now but still figuring out where to stay on way down as don't want to go to motel so checking campgrounds along way. KOA is halfway (5hours)

Hey Phil...if you were to go, what day would you be leaving? You can see from the route I posted where we'll be staying. On the way down you could share a room with Ben and David. Easier than camping and splitting the cost of a room is probably the same cost as camping.

I'd offer to let you share the room with Nancy and I but think this will be our honeymoon. :-D

Ben - Dave what do you think about Don's idea of sharing room at Super 8 Saturday night? Do you have room booked already? Do you know if Dave is going??

Work has changed schedule this first week back so I will have to work Fri. night till 7am Sat. By the time I get home and change it will be around 9am before I leave.

I have a single king booked in Gas City near Marion Ind for Sat night (which I should be able to upgrade if need be there is also some mention of additional cots or roll-away bed if needed) but have not booked anything for Fri night as yet. Still sitting on the Fence as to whether or not I will start out Fri and stay in Sarnia Fri night or head out Sat morning and run straight through to Gas City. It depends somewhat on whether or not Dave is still going, in which case we would stay in Sarnia Fri night, considering he has to run from Barrie. We agreed to play that one by ear and adjust plans accordingly as Dave's decision may be a last minute sort of thing depending on when he can get his ducks in a row, which Him and I already discussed last week and I am ok with.

Edited by saddlebum

From Jayceesfolly :

"
I will be going thru Indianapolis on Sunday morning about 10 or 11:00 AM. I am staying at my daughters' home in Huber Heights, OH (Dayton, OH area on I-70) on Saturday night, about 1 1/2 hours east of Indianapolis. We should all be going thru Indy about the same time. Can we meet somewhere west of Indy and ride together? There is a
Bob Evans restaurant at exit 66 (Quaker Blvd) of I-70 on the west side of Indy
. It is about 85 miles from the Super 8 in Gas City and about 130 miles from my daughters' home. We could meet there for breakfast about 10:30 AM or so. It is 245 miles (about 4 hours) from Bob Evans to the campground. Also remember we gain an hour, for the time zone change, when we get west of Indy at the state line, so travel time is actually about three hours to the campground."

Think that is a great idea !