IGNORED

Lucky Me

Marcarl

Yep,,, lucky because I got a wonderful sized nose,,,, note: I didn't say anything else but: wonderful size!!!

Yep, got to pay through the nose on this one,,, the story:

Handle grips on the Spyder are not on the large side, kind of small to my liking actually,,, so it's taken this Dutchman about 2 months to make up his mind to spend the $130 to get the ISO grips for a better feel. The ones recommended by the Spyder site are the ones made for a GL1800 with heated grips, and mine are heated, so that part works out well. The ISO grips are a little longer than the OEM on the Spyder so an insert has to be made up to fill in the last inch or so. Instructions come with the grips as well as instructions on modifications needed on the Spyder site.

So I spent the money, got the grips and figured about half hour to install,,, well that was close, for the first round. They didn't fit just quite the way I was hoping they would and so after some deliberation and calculating, off they came. Now these are not your normal slide on grips,,, no sir,, they're special as would befit a Spyder,,, I mean, everything on this beast is SPECIAL,, not to be mistaken for being on special which it for sure is not. These are a clam shell type, look much the same as the regular ones, but come in 2 halves screwed together. They install over the OEM grips,, quite neat actually. Anyways, once I had them off Wizard shows up and the whole story starts all over new. I had to explain every little detail to him so that he could be as knowledgeable as I am,, hey, he doesn't want to left behind EH? So now with the two of us, we figure it all out and install the grips,, for time # 2. Not so good yet, as this time they won't mate and stay mated together. Now to figure that one out, so off they come again, lucky they are screwed together, so we can screw them apart. Can you imagine if they weren't screwed together,, as to how we would ever screw them apart? On with the story,, I want to go to bed. SO!! we have them on the bench, figure out that they made of some kind of metal, bend them a bit and find that now they mate well, I like it when mating goes well!!!! Time for a break, so we have supper so nicely prepared by my wife. After the eating was accomplished we decided there was nothing better to shake down the food, but to go for a ride,,,, so off we go, and the ISO grips were nicely left on the workbench. I sure hope you guys can read faster than I type for this is getting a little long. After about a 2 hour ride, we are back, check out the grips, decide on a course of action and celebrate with a dish of Kawartha IceCream. Wizard goes home and I go to bed, never mind the mating of halves,, that would happen tomorrow,,well today! This morning I had other things to do, so first thing after my nooner I go to install my new grips,, I want to see what they feel like,,,, well wouldn't you? Throttle side went well, they fit and the problems were solved,, so onto the left side. Made the proper spacer, turned down the collar on the OEM grip, soaped up the original, slid on the rubber component of the IOS grip and then went to install the chrome part over the rubber piece. Well I easily enough found the one half, but the other half was being elusive. No where could I locate the second half, and seeing as the one piece was only half it stands to reason that there would be another part which would also be half and therefore the two together would make a hole. Was not to be, even asked my dear wife to stop the preparations for the weekend to come and take a look to see what she could see,,, but nothing did she see either. Now it was time to contact the Wizard for he would for sure know,,, remember, I edumacated him yesterday even!! Alas, no help there either, he must have lost all the important info on his way home,,, well it was kind of cool, so he'll be excused this time.

I scratched my head until I was done doing that, and hopefully came up with the answer to the puzzle. Today was garbage day, and this morning I gathered all the garbage that I could find, stuffed it in a bag and set it out to be hauled off to the dump, including the packaging for the new grips. I figure the missing half was deeply involved in filling up the landfill site,,,, so now what????? Back to the parts dept, lay heavy on my sob story,,, everybody feeling for me, but nobody could quite reach me,,,normal isn't it. They were going to call Kuryakyn to see if they would have an extra,, but seeing as there time constraints I decided to spring for another set,,,,,,

OUCH, these grips are now not even on special,,,,,,, they cost me two legs and now I can go bummin' around,,,,, and yes I did pay through the nose,,,eh?

Lesson learned,,, don't take out the garbage!!!!

Amen brother....the landfills are filled with broken dreams!!....did you hear the one about the guy who disposed of a computer hard drive that contained a couple million dollars of "bitcoins" on it, never to be found again. I too have a few stories where they end with "well the garbage man picked it up and we never saw it again" after hours of searching and rummaging through bags of stinky wet garbage trying to find that receipt, bracelet, ring, or part that went missing.

Anyway, I'm sorry for your loss! But nothing that money can't fix!:mo money::mo money:

You have to look on the brighter side of things like this.

You not only have a much better set of warm comfortable grips installed, you also have a 1.5 set you can list in our classified section or on eBay...Sorry.

Great story by the way, and you typing does not appear all that slow :)

Also, thanks for reminding all of us, no good deed goes unpunished.

Glad you got everything settled.

BUT, I was going to recommend some Grip Puppy's. Just got to the discussion to late!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FD6DXW/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have them on all three scoots...they solved the problem of grips to small for me. Cheap way for me to find out if bigger grips help!

david

Took the Spyder out for a nice ride yesterday so had a chance to feel what the new grip feels like,,,, yes grip, not grips,,well I could not just install half a grip eh!?? What an opportunity,,,, I mean, have you ever had the privilege to ride with only one new grip,,,, would you do that really???? well I did,,, and I tell ya,,, I'm gonna do the other one as well,, yes sir!!!! what a nice difference, definitely worth the extra cash,,,, well not double the extra but worth it anyways.