IGNORED

Why I Go To Don's Maintenance Day!

skydoc_17

Several Years ago, I purchased a "new to me" 87' Venture Royale. Cosmetically, it was in pretty good shape, but it had been sitting for a number of years, and like MANY of the bikes the First Gen. owners have, it didn't run very well, and ALL of the fluids and oils had long past out lived their lives. Not to mention issues with the plug wires, TCI, Carbs. Fuse Box, Brake Lines... well, you get the picture. Typical 20 plus year old bike with worn out EVERYTHING! I found the VR.ORG Forum quite by mistake, I was searching for parts for my 87' and had Googled "Yamaha Venture Royale", and in the list of results, I found VR.ORG. I clicked on the link, started to read, and was amazed at the knowledge, and friendlyness of the VR.ORG family. I asked more than my share of newbie questions, got a lot of very helpful information, got poked and spanked a few times, (Yammer Dan, you rascal you!) But overall I fell in love with the wit, humor, and knowledge of this group of men and women on the VR.ORG Forum. I remember like it was yesterday, my first "road trip" to a meet and greet, it was in Gettysburg Pennsylvania, and I lived just east of Pittsburg Pennsylvania. I thought, "this will be a GREAT first ride, I will get to meet some of the people that have helped me get my bike back on the road"! Well, somewhere around Harrisburg Pennsylvania, I crossed a set of railroad tracks and as I bounced across the last track, ALL of the fuses in my 20 plus year old fuse box rained down on the ground, and my bike stopped dead in it's tracks. I never did make it to that meet and greet. BUT I did go home (with my tail between my legs) and build the first Fuse Box Upgrade Kit. The following year, my bike was in much better condition than it was that first year, and I made the decision to take the plunge, and go to Don's Maintenance Day. I wanted to meet some of the people that had helped me to get my bike running properly, But I also wanted to meet the Gentleman that has invested so much time and money in a group of people that owned these wonderful bikes. In today's modern world, it is very easy to portray yourself as something else other than who you really are on the computer because of the fact that you never really get to look a person in the eye, and shake his (or her) hand, and see for yourself what that person is made of. Call me old fashioned, but I have lived my life looking people in the eye, and sizing them up, and then deciding if this person is "for real", or blowing smoke. When I met Don Nelson for the first time, I found him to be very personable, he had a genuine LOVE for motorcycles, and also a love for this family of owners that we call VR.ORG. I camped on his property, I ate his food, I showered in his house, I worked on several bikes, and I made a LOT of new friends! Friends that I have visited with my wife, and by myself over the years. Don has tolerated my rants, he has given me advice, he has shared his home and his family with me, and most of all, he has given me a place to come and share my knowledge of motorcycles with that next "newbie" that was once me, and is now someone else.

If you have been "lurking" on the forum, or if you and Don are old friends, I invite one and all to stop by on the weekend of the 29th of May, to a little college town called Oberlin, to meet the MAN, (I was referring to Don Nelson!) and make a few new friends.

You might just learn something new about your motorcycle, the VR.ORG family, or yourself!

I'll be there, will YOU? (And yes, my brother will be there as well)

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
CRAYON BROKE!

I'll be there,,, I met Earl before and there really is nothing to be afraid of,,, so come out to meet him, he's kind of a nice chap but usually so busy that he doesn't stick with you for long. Thanks for all your help in helping others Earl.

Boy you hit the nail rite on the head Earl! and in a way I never could express. Will be looking forward to seeing everyone again this year, hopefully you are bringing your brother along too!

See ya soon, Craig

Hey Skydoc,

I echo your sediments about good folks, Don and Eileen they are wonderful. I met him for the reason of squeezing knowledge from between his ears, as it turned out he lives quite close to us so we set out to meet them at their home then ended up riding to a local craft/antique show then dinner that night. (I do have a photo of him pushing an antique stroller but I am holding on to that for blackmail purposes.) We have since struck up a nice friendship that I value.

One day Don gave me a bunch of spare parts for the RSV so I proceeded to wright up a nice thank you on this site to expose his kindness (something you all already knew) then the site mysteriously crashes so the post never goes live, I think he pulled the plug cause he is so humble.

We will be at MD unless my medical issues get in the way. Hope to meet everyone.

Edited by Motiv

At my first MD, (2010) Earl came over and checked out my First Gen, and taught me how to sync my carbs by explaining as he did it for me. I come to MD 'cause I know there's folks like Earl there. He's very knowledgeable, and helpful, and is a great supplier for Venture parts. Thanks Earl.:happy65:

Well said Skydoc, I hope that will give some new people the incentive to come take a look.

Two years ago at Maintenance Day, I was in need of a new clutch gears as mine where slipping. I bought some off Skydoc at MD who patiently guided me through the process of installing them. I am not mechanically inclined, he was very kind, patient as everything I would attempt to do the first time was wrong (i have just learned to laugh at myself as I know this to be true), he guided me thru the entire install and my bike runs like a dream still.

Thank you Earl, you don't know how nervous I was to take on a task like that.