IGNORED

Serious question about my 2nd gen kickstand

YamahaLarry

Since purchasing this bike last year, I have always felt that when on the side kickstand, that it is leaning further than it should. There was what I thought to be an excessive amount of play in the stand from the time it touched the pavement til the bike came to rest.

So, a few months ago I purchased a new bushing from boats.net and installed it, and that seemed to help a little. Darn that spring was a bugger to reattach.

Well, since replacing the leveling link (PO installed lowering kit) with the factory link, it is naturally leaning a little bit more now. When I had the kickstand off several months ago to replace the bushing, it did not appear that it was bent or that the holes in the stand itself were worn excessively.

From the time the stand first touches the pavement, til the bike comes to rest, the foot of the stand may slide a couple inches or so. Is that more than normal?

Also, is it possible that where the stand mounts to the bottom side of the bike could no longer be aligned properly?

Oh, and you gotta love how much Yamaha wants for a new kickstand. Close to 200 bucks.

Just thought I would run this buy you guys before I take a torch to it and bend it a little. The amount that it leans now requires a little more effort for this old guy to stand it up.

Also may note, that the ear, or whatever you call it, that is welded onto the stand is only about an inch from my left floorboard when bike is at full rest.

Edited by YamahaLarry

It seems to be identical to the ones I have viewed online. Same top and same foot on the bottom. If Yamaha didn't love theirs so much, I would just order a new one, but $175+ is a bit much to spend for this. I would rather take a torch to mine and bend it a little.

Definitely been cut and foot welded back on. Probably welded with stainless steel rod and polished.

Perhaps someone on here could measure from the center of the bolt to the tip of the stand and tell me how long a standard kick may be? That would let me know if I need to order another or just try to torch and bend this one.

As far as turning to the right, that is pretty much what I am doing not, just not very far right.

Thanks guys!

Perhaps someone on here could measure from the center of the bolt to the tip of the stand and tell me how long a standard kick may be? That would let me know if I need to order another or just try to torch and bend this one.

As far as turning to the right, that is pretty much what I am doing not, just not very far right.

Thanks guys!

YamahaLarry, My stock height 99 RSV measures right at 13-3/4" +/- from bolt center to where the pad meets the pavement.

Hope this helps.

YamahaLarry, My stock height 99 RSV measures right at 13-3/4" +/- from bolt center to where the pad meets the pavement.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, and it did help. It let me know that my ks is standard length. I measured it prior to hopping on for a ride to work, and it is right at 13-3/4" from nut to 'heel' of ks. So, I guess if I want it more upright, I will need to remove it and try to determine if the holes are worn out or something, and if not, perhaps apply a little heat and bend it a tad.

Again, thanks for the info!

I'm not entirely sure the side stand mechanics are the same as the 1stGen, but what happens is the back frame tab is threaded and to tighten the stand the outside bolt needs to be torqued. What happens is a lot of folks try to tighten the stand with the inside nut, but all it is is a lock nut. It get's over torqued and the bolt snaps off. You might check to see if the thru bolt has broken and leads to the holes wearing and the tabs bending, resulting in the kick stand not holding up the bike where it should....

Thanks, and it did help. It let me know that my ks is standard length. I measured it prior to hopping on for a ride to work, and it is right at 13-3/4" from nut to 'heel' of ks. So, I guess if I want it more upright, I will need to remove it and try to determine if the holes are worn out or something, and if not, perhaps apply a little heat and bend it a tad.

Again, thanks for the info!

Larry, Lets see how much more lean you have on your ride.

Measure the distance between the floor and the center of the choke knob.

Mine measures right at 24".

Hopefully this will help determine if there is to much lean or not.

Edited by Zzyzx

Hope funny this will help determine if there is to much lean or not.

22" dead center. I assume you meant from the ground, with tape measure between floorboard and frame. That is where I put it, and pretty much straight up and down to the choke knob.

Not exactly sure how much a RSV should lean. I do know that all my riding buddies that own HD and wings, their bikes rest more upright than mine, and it seems that this one leans a little more than any other bikes I have owned. Only other Yamaha that I have owned was a VStar.

You got the spot where to measure right where I did on mine and it seems you have 2" of lean more than mine RSV has.

That is a lot so you might be right checking the bushings and also the bolt as condor said.

Also check to make sure the mounting frame is not cracked where it meets the frame just in case.

Let us know how this goes.

One other thing. How much air are you both running in the rear shock?

Right now, 0 in the front and 21 psi in the rear. I just put factory level links on the rear and front fork is factory height. The first few weeks I owned the bike, when I would go to put it on the ks, I always had that funny feeling that the stand wasn't down because I had to tilt it so far.

Also, the loop or ear or whatever it is called, is a little less than 1" from left edge of floorboard.

Hopefully this will help determine if there is to much lean or not.

:doh: That measurement will vary depending on how your forks and rear shock are aired up.

One other thing. How much air are you both running in the rear shock?

Just checked mine and it at 35lbs.

Wouldn't think that would make that much of a variance but maybe.

A 2" difference sounds to me a lot but?

Maybe the KS is bent

You could always go down to the hardware store and get one of those rubber cups that go on a chair leg. It least that would be an inexpensive way to find out if you really want a longer side stand.

Mike

Ever had one of those days that if it wasn't attached you'd forget it?

Well after taking the wood block from under my KS mine now measures 23" so the air difference would make the height change that much except Larry's. should have less lean than mine since mine is higher from the start.

D'oh!

th.jpg

Edited by Zzyzx

You could always go down to the hardware store and get one of those rubber cups that go on a chair leg. It least that would be an inexpensive way to find out if you really want a longer side stand.

Mike

I use a short 2x4 in my garage. I do believe that this weekend, I will pull the ks off, heat it up close to the bolt end and bend it ever so slightly and polish it. Appears to perhaps be stainless steel. My only concern is that I don't want to do anything to it that will interfere with it folding in under the bike correctly when it is up.

On level ground, it isn't that hard to stand up, but harder than I think it should be. Where I work. I most often have to park it to where it is a slight decline to the left and takes a considerable grunt to stand it up with handle bars straight or slight right.

Knowing how hard it can be to stand these bikes up. Especially if you happen to get stuck on a left shoulder somewhere. I carry a few small triangles of scrap 3/4 inch plywood in the left saddlebag. On occasion I have been known to put one or two pieces under the side stand so I could lift the bike. Then riding off and leaving it behind. Some people have suggested putting a piece of string on the scrap wood to retrieve it with. So far I just leave it behind.

Mike