IGNORED

Spare Key for 2nd Gen

I want to get a 2nd key for my 2nd Gen. Don't have the manual so don't have a key number (assuming the PO would have written it down!). I see nothing on the key itself.

Ideas?

TIA,

david

I took my only Venture key into the local Yamaha dealership and they cut a new one for $7. I had already tried the home centers, hardware stores, etc. but none had the proper blank. The dealer did and had the key cutting machine. Ten minutes and $7 and I rode away with a spare key.

The only dumb question is the one that's left unasked.

Geesh! And here I was under the impression that the keys were special. Thanks guys...and thanks for not jumping on me for such a dumb question! :bang head:

Yikes!

Guess I'd better go back to bed....Grins.

david

Well...went to Ace. They denied they had the blanks until I showed them the box that was labelled "Yamaha".

And guess what? The new key will open and lock the trunk and saddlebags but not the ignition. In comparison, it looks like they didn't take their time and did a rough job. Tomorrow, I'll drive back (12 miles each way) just to give them a second chance. I really wish people would do the job right the first time. But then, I've made mistakes too~!

Well...went to Ace. They denied they had the blanks until I showed them the box that was labelled "Yamaha".

And guess what? The new key will open and lock the trunk and saddlebags but not the ignition. In comparison, it looks like they didn't take their time and did a rough job. Tomorrow, I'll drive back (12 miles each way) just to give them a second chance. I really wish people would do the job right the first time. But then, I've made mistakes too~!

When I had keys made for the saddlebag latches and ignition switch I purchased on eBay without keys, the locksmith told me that the key he made would work in the saddlebag latches but not in the ignition. I didn't care, because all I wanted was lockable saddlebag latches (I'm installing them on my trailer).

Also, on my 1991, I have a spare key (ILCO) courtesy of the PO, and it opens the trunk and the saddlebags just fine, but when I tried it in the ignition, I have to push the tip of the key to the six o'clock position in order to turn the ignition. I don't know why this is so, but I am getting an 'official' Yamaha blank and having the dealer cut it.

I got a second key made. The first was really sloppy. The guy took his time and got all the little teeny angles just right. Made a difference. Now the spare key works in everything! Cutting keys is really an art. Takes patience and a keen eye. That's why auto and bike keys are stamped. Accurate right out of the machine.

Kev, the reason you have to finess the key to get it to work in the ignition...is there is one "tip or valley" on the key not quite right. If you look really close at your master and your spare keys...you will see the offending area. The Ace blanks are good....their people...not so much, maybe.

david