IGNORED

hitch balls

blue mtn. jim

Some guy had some hitch balls for sale, 10.00 and they swivel left and right but not front and back. Said they where good with pulling a trailer ? I have owned 5th wheel trailers and bought a truck bed hitch that was able to swivel all the way around, and had great luck with it. Pulled thru the mountains in WV not far from Skid, any ideas I am all ears, no really I have big ears. Jim

Some guy had some hitch balls for sale, 10.00 and they swivel left and right but not front and back. Said they where good with pulling a trailer ? I have owned 5th wheel trailers and bought a truck bed hitch that was able to swivel all the way around, and had great luck with it. Pulled thru the mountains in WV not far from Skid, any ideas I am all ears, no really I have big ears. Jim

That hitch is called a Pivot Ball Hitch. An alternative to a swivel coupler. Mixed reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Pivot-Ball-Trailer-Hitch/product-reviews/B0053H9088

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?250414-Swivel-Pivot-Ball-Hitch

I think the ball you're referring to is this one. You may be able to find a used one for $10 bucks... if you can find one new3 or used.... I picked up a used one from a member a while back who didn't like it?? I think it's great. Instead of installing a swivel hitch, it only takes a couple of minutes. If you can find one new they generally in the 50 dollar price range.

ballhitch.jpg

I can't understand that second link to the GW1800 board. If the ball was laying all the way over to the left the trailer was laying on it's side.... or he had a trailer with a 2" coupler and the ball is 1 7/8", and even then I seriously doubt it would do that. The ball will lay over a bit, but not to that degree. I trailered all the way to the Cody International. 'Bout 3000 miles and forgot the trailer was there a lot. Especially when I hit that curb coming out of a rest stop with the left trailer tire and it becoming air born for a bit. The ball did what it was designed to do....

Thanks for the feed back, I had a trike before i got my RSV and with a stock ball and never had any problems. I thought that with lean capabilities that the hitch may bottom out on one side or the other, I bought two balls for 20.00 and never saw them before. That is why i asked.Trike will not lean as much as 2 wheeler so i thank you again for the info, nothing like listening to someone who been there and done that. Take care Jim

No first hand experience... but I have read that the swivel ball can under certain circumstances shift left or right throwing the trailer out of alignment with the bikes centerline then snapping back quickly causing a potential force on the bike when you least need it... like in heavy leaning.

For that reason.... I opted instead for a swivel hitch on the trailer. This stays on centerline with the bike whether swiveled or not.

A fixed ball will be fine in almost every circumstance. But we all know it is possible to drop a bike in gravel or oil. I met a Goldwing owner last year whose receiver was twisted because he dropped the wing in gravel with a trailer attached. Something had to give and it was his receiver frame.

swivelhitch.JPG

I have the pivot link on my trailer. Don't have to hear it clunking when not in use.

The Pivot Ball won't clunk either. Stow the stinger... even if the stinger is left in the receiver I can't imagine what it would take to get it to rattle around. When a trailer coupler is attached the 'slop' will be the same as a solid ball.....

Thanks for the feed back, I had a trike before i got my RSV and with a stock ball and never had any problems. I thought that with lean capabilities that the hitch may bottom out on one side or the other, I bought two balls for 20.00 and never saw them before. That is why i asked.Trike will not lean as much as 2 wheeler so i thank you again for the info, nothing like listening to someone who been there and done that. Take care Jim

The difference between a trike lean and a 2 wheel lean are light years apart.

No first hand experience... but I have read that the swivel ball can under certain circumstances shift left or right throwing the trailer out of alignment with the bikes centerline then snapping back quickly causing a potential force on the bike when you least need it... like in heavy leaning.

For that reason.... I opted instead for a swivel hitch on the trailer. This stays on centerline with the bike whether swiveled or not.

A fixed ball will be fine in almost every circumstance. But we all know it is possible to drop a bike in gravel or oil. I met a Goldwing owner last year whose receiver was twisted because he dropped the wing in gravel with a trailer attached. Something had to give and it was his receiver frame.

The trouble is everyone who has never used the Pivot Ball have pre-conceived notions about how it won't work. I was one of them the first time I saw it. Figured I'd give one a try and became a believer. Easy to install, easy to stow, works great.. forgot to mention dropping the scoot at a gas station in Elko NV...., cheaper than a swivel.... and doesn't have a problem when braking.. A disclaimer... I don't have a thing to do with the Pivot Ball designer. Just think it's a better mouse trap.... :)

The Pivot Ball won't clunk either. Stow the stinger... even if the stinger is left in the receiver I can't imagine what it would take to get it to rattle around. When a trailer coupler is attached the 'slop' will be the same as a solid ball.....

The difference between a trike lean and a 2 wheel lean are light years apart.

The trouble is everyone who has never used the Pivot Ball have pre-conceived notions about how it won't work. I was one of them the first time I saw it. Figured I'd give one a try and became a believer. Easy to install, easy to stow, works great.. forgot to mention dropping the scoot at a gas station in Elko NV...., cheaper than a swivel.... and doesn't have a problem when braking.. A disclaimer... I don't have a thing to do with the Pivot Ball designer. Just think it's a better mouse trap.... :)

Again I blessed to have so many members that take the time out to give me there view of ball, I know with the trike that if for some reason you get to the point of no return some thing is going to give, crazy things happen and who knows when they do. I had personally known where a trailer came off the ball and threw two large adults off of Ultra Glide with the chains causing the accident, crazy thing. I know how it FEELS when we drop these big monsters and with a broken back it is not pretty site, so it seems to me that it may be darn if I do and darn if I don't. I will try it around here first and if I can make the trailer and the bike dance together then I will have more of and idea. But you can bet your boots if everyone said their kill you, well then I have two shiny chrome balls sitting with the rest of the got to have junk. Thanks again and GOD bless, Jim

And this is why they make different coupling systems and different kinds of bikes and different kinds of cars.......etc.

ALL of the different systems have pros and cons.

Some of those pros and cons may be real, or perceived, or even just imagined.

Each person has to make the choice based on the features that are most important to them.

Many of us are very passionate about our choices for various reasons, that does not make it the best choice for the next person.

Fortunately, I have no personal experience with hitting something with the trailer big enough to cause a potential trailer flip. Nor do I have personal experience with dropping the bike with trailer attached or even reaching the limits of travel on a swivelless ball. I made my choice in coupling method based on my meager engineering background and my own preconceived beliefs.

Yes I did avoid stating which choice I made and why. If some one really wants to know my choice and why, send me a PM and I will be happy to discuss it with you.

This topic ranks right up there in volatility with oil and tires.

• 3 weeks later...