IGNORED

Polished my windshield

pbjman

My windshield is the original OEM on my '99 and although not yellowed or real cloudy; wasn't very clear when in headlights or evening sun due to glare from many fine scratches. It's a nuisance for me because this is a windshield that has to be looked through, it's too tall to look over the top. I remembered a post where it was stated that Plast-X did a good job for restoring motorcycle windshields so I bought Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Kit that had Plast-x plus some sanding pads, buffing wheel, and headlight protectant. It even listed that is it good for motorcycle windscreens on the package.

I didn't take a before pic, but here's my bike from last week:

windshield.jpg windshield2.jpg

The instructions said to sand windsheld with 1000 grit pad from kit. I only sanded the front side; it appears to get the most abuse.

IMG_3490.jpg

After sanding I wiped it with a clean microfiber cloth. At this point, I was just hoping I didn't ruin it!

I then sanded again with 3000 grit, wiped, and applied plast-x, wiped, applied protectant, wiped again.

Then I applied plast-x and protectant to the inside.

Results: (first pic sanded with 3000 grit, second pic finished)

IMG_3491.jpg

IMG_3493.jpg

More views:

IMG_3494.jpg

IMG_3492.jpg

Not perfect, but looks much better while sitting in the garage....

As soon as it is road tested I will follow up with another post!

That may have been one of my post PB, I have used Plast-X from Walmart for many years and highly recommend it!! I usually just buy the cheapy little refill bottle (last time I bought it it was like 5 bucks) instead of the kit, use my elbow grease with a cloth - swirl it on, remove before it drys.. Tweeks still has the ORIGINAL shield on her and she is an 83!!! All because of PLast-X!!!!! STUFF IS AMAZING!!

Removing the clear film does not make the windscreen toast, but that clear film does a lot to help prevent scratches during normal cleaning. Once you have polished the wind screen and removed that clear film, you will have to polish it much more often to keep it clear. You can buy a LOT of Plast-X for the cost of a new windscreen.

It is also very helpfull to ONLY clean the windscreen with vertical up and down strokes. Circular or horizontal strokes will cause scratches that reflect more light into your eyes. Vertical strokes reflect less light into your eyes.

Unless of course you ride with your head tilted 90 to the side, then you would want to clean with horizontal strokes.......:whistling::confused24:

Removing the clear film does not make the windscreen toast, but that clear film does a lot to help prevent scratches during normal cleaning. Once you have polished the wind screen and removed that clear film, you will have to polish it much more often to keep it clear. You can buy a LOT of Plast-X for the cost of a new windscreen.

It is also very helpfull to ONLY clean the windscreen with vertical up and down strokes. Circular or horizontal strokes will cause scratches that reflect more light into your eyes. Vertical strokes reflect less light into your eyes.

Unless of course you ride with your head tilted 90 to the side, then you would want to clean with horizontal strokes.......:whistling::confused24:

Yes, FF is correct, I entered this bargain knowing I would be removing the OEM film and would require maintenance... but I wanted to see if I could improve it until I get around to buying a tall/wide F4 windshield since the windshield was already in 'meh' condition. Actually the film gave me a good guide to know when the sanding was done.

And thanks for the tip about the vertical cleaning; I'll put it into practice.

Removing the clear film does not make the windscreen toast, but that clear film does a lot to help prevent scratches during normal cleaning. ...

What I was referring to was that if you sanded the windscreen with the film still on it, I don't believe Plastex would take out the fine scratches.

I've used Plastex before but only using a cloth to put it on and buff it out.

What I was referring to was that if you sanded the windscreen with the film still on it, I don't believe Plastex would take out the fine scratches.

I've used Plastex before but only using a cloth to put it on and buff it out.

I sanded the film completely off.....time will tell if that was a mistake! :yikes:

Yes, FF is correct, I entered this bargain knowing I would be removing the OEM film and would require maintenance... but I wanted to see if I could improve it until I get around to buying a tall/wide F4 windshield since the windshield was already in 'meh' condition. Actually the film gave me a good guide to know when the sanding was done.

And thanks for the tip about the vertical cleaning; I'll put it into practice.

Just wanted to say that the I loved the wide windscreen I got for my RSV. I only got to test it once, but it was a plenty breezy day and I loved the extra protection!!!

Does the fact that Tweeks original shield has lost over 1 mm of its thickness mean that the original coating is probably gone :rotf::rotf::rotf:

That FlyInTheOintmentFool hit the nail on the head!!! A trip from Michigan to the west coast and back is about a 8x Plast-X application (depending on time of year and how many bugs they release in places like Alberta Canada, Waterloo Iowa and Lincoln Nebraska).. IMHO, its not that big of deal of you use Plast-X to clean your windshield after washing it down with a truckstop squeegy thingy.. :witch_brew:

I found that the easiest way to remove the factory film from the shield it to use some good sticky tape, cover the shield with it then pull it off in big strips. I found that out the hard way when cutting my shield shorter. The tape I put on to protect it from scratches while using the jig saw, pulled the top 2 1/2" of coating off :doh: no choice but to do the rest. :crying:

I found that the easiest way to remove the factory film from the shield it to use some good sticky tape, cover the shield with it then pull it off in big strips. I found that out the hard way when cutting my shield shorter. The tape I put on to protect it from scratches while using the jig saw, pulled the top 2 1/2" of coating off :doh: no choice but to do the rest. :crying:

Yeah, I saw some evidence of that effect in the form of a 'blank' circle near the bottom left of my windshield where I had removed a round sticker that the P.O. put on.

Jay, how close are you to getting your bike on the road? I want to try again since my bike foiled our ride last year!

:think: so just reapply the tape and leave it on there:beer: :essen_018::crackup:

Have not started the tear down yet, have to ride out to Romeo on Sunday and will probably get to work on it next week. Possible we can meet up on Saturday for a putt. I'll let you know.

and you guys can come over here and drag this trailer home Raggy:178:,, if your still interested:detective:..