IGNORED

New to me Venture

jimmy99

Well... an 88 VR followed me home on the weekend, i got a deal i could not refuse. It is in pretty decent condition and was ridden last year by PO.

I have a few things i want to do right away to help ensure reliability like the starter motor mod, fuse box upgrade, and ignition relay mod. I will also be making a list of things for next winter, clutch spring upgrade, shift cam upgrade (pin holder), possibly starter clutch upgrade, de-link the brakes, progressive springs, and whatever else I find.

Immediate issues are it runs rich, the radio is non-functional and the seat has a rip in it. I'm planning on getting into the carbs for a good cleaning and synching, and then getting it ready for it's safety inspection. I don't see that it will need much or anything, the tires and brakes are good, all the lights work, etc.

Jimmy

The ignition relay is more a 2nd gen thing. The 1st gens don't seem to have the issue with the switch going bad from normal usage.

You can probably do the clutch spring upgrade faster than the fuse box upgrade. Clutch spring takes about a hour if you never did one, a half hour if you have done it before and about 3 or 4 hours if you have experienced help. :fatsmiley: :group cheers:

WOW Jimmy - THAT is one GORGEOUS old scoot:clap2:!! Looking at my crystal ball here I see many many many miles of smiles associated with that lady!! CONGRATS TO YOU!!:thumbsup:

Wishing you nothing but the best as you and her get to know each other and as you sort out the little issues needed to find those many miles of pure happiness!!:thumbsup2:

Thanks for all the kind words and tips. I will skip the ignition relay for now.

I am very handy with the tools and have a a great understanding of mechanical things. The carbs will be the first thing i work on.

My goal is to have it be a reliable daily rider beginning as soon as i can get it running nice and get the safety check, insurance and plates on it and ride it deep into the fall.

I work long hours and 6 days a week for much of the year. I can't justify putting insurance on a bike unless i can commute to work with it. The Venture will suit my needs perfectly with good weather protection and lots of storage space for rain gear and work gear.

I can't wait to get it on the road and begin putting the miles on.

My previous street bikes were a Honda V45 and a Suzuki Bandit 1200. Both good bikes in their own regard but neither suit my needs. Sold the V45 years ago, the bandit is "almost" sold.

Jimmy