IGNORED

What's going on ?

Brake Pad

i have a 2002 3.7L ST. 6'bed 194,378.5 miles

Last night I hit some pot holes, came to stop sign hit gas and a never before sound happened. What sounded like metal hitting plastic.( like the baseball card in spokes as a kid ), but metal to plastic sound

The sound doesn't happen at each start, it's sporadic only happens as the truck starts out of first gear ( automatic )

Clicking at a fast pass clicks for 5 to 10 seconds, if I let off on the gas, the clicking stops

HELP !!!!

I never speed in it, it may have seen 80 mph 3 or 4 times in the 194K ( Orginal Owner )

Is this a front wheel drive.. CV Joints can sure make some strange noises as their bearings loosen.. Knock some parts loose on a brake caliper and they can make some weird noises too... My son stopped by not to long ago saying his wife had destroyed their SUV,, it was making some weird noises,, I crawled under it and found the splatter sheild above the drive shaft had come loose and was laying against the drive shaft..

Put er up on stands and poke - prod - wiggle and squeeze things before ya turn her in to a tranny shop Mike.. Hopefully its something simple!!

LOL I had that happen to me at 70 MPH in a Ford Explorer. Had a four wheel alignment the day before and felt a vibration, tried to call the shop but he left for the day so I was going to take it back after work but it flew apart on my way to work at 5 AM. The guy that did the work left the axel not loose.

LOL I had that happen to me at 70 MPH in a Ford Explorer. Had a four wheel alignment the day before and felt a vibration, tried to call the shop but he left for the day so I was going to take it back after work but it flew apart on my way to work at 5 AM. The guy that did the work left the axel not loose.

On this one the Unit Bearing gave out. The Unit Bearing, which contains the backing plate, brake rotor, and wheel sensor are still bolted to the wheel. Just no longer on the truck.

I'm willing to bet it is a loose nut between seat and steering wheel.....I'm in agreement with cowpuc that it is the CV joint.....:stickpoke:.

But I am not in agreement with Eck that its the loose nut between the seat and steering wheel.. Sorry Eck but if that were the case it would have been rattling since day one as Mike said it is a one owner truck..... :witch_brew:

i had a strange noise on my jeep after hitting a few pot holes turned out to be the inspection plate to the flywheel. drove me nuts as it only did it at 25 mph or going backwards

but i agree sounds lke it could ne a cv joint?

But I am not in agreement with Eck that its the loose nut between the seat and steering wheel.. Sorry Eck but if that were the case it would have been rattling since day one as Mike said it is a one owner truck..... :witch_brew:

I just have to pick on Brake pad.. He's OK in my book!

Usually the U joints have a creaking sound. Being a 6" bed standard cab I dont think it has the mid joint. I could believe the motor mount and when you hit the gas the engine lifts and fan hits plastic shroud. check out the engine bay and shake things around with your hands a it and see if something is loose. Shoot I get levees in the AC/heat ducts and the fan makes them sound like its coming apart.

I think I found the issue, opened hood to check for loose any things, put my hand on radiator and found main bolt completely off frame mount, and the left side that holds the two rubber spacers were chewed down from vibrations. The whole assembly moved 4 to 5 inches backward into the motorfan when I'd start rolling from a complete stop., while under the hood, i W D 40'd everything

Unreal...I would have never guessed that to be the reason.

Reminds me of a story I reluctantly want to admit too...

Back in 1970, I had a 66 ford Fairlane GT and the radiator sprung a leak while I was in TX on my way to Calif. I made it to an exit (location unknown), and I tore the radiator out and called a radiator repair shop who came to that exit and picked up my radiator and I. Went to the shop where the guy fixed it. He brought me back to my car and he left and I installed it. Filled it up with water, and took off down the on-ramp trying to make up some time.. I never made it to the interstate...and I heard this God awful sound. Next thing I see is a bunch of steam coming out from under the hood. I pull over and raised the hood only to find the radiator fell back into and was stuck in the fan blade. (DUH)...

Would you believe I forgot to install the mounting bolts thru the radiator to bolt it in. I only installed the upper and lower hose's and didn't install one dang bolt..

I can honestly admit that smoking pot back then wasn't such a good idea.. :stickpoke: