IGNORED

Windshields, vents, and helmets

Brenner

On the 1st gen there isn't a lot of choices with windshields. I have had them with the goldwing vent in them and it works out reasonable. I too had a passenger to consider and shorter wasn't good for her. Go with a wider one to limit the buffing and a vent and I think you'll be happy with that combination.

BTW Saddlebum mentioned about the dash vents, they really dont push a lot of air especially with the stock tubing in them. I found when I removed all that tubing more air actually flowed through them into the drivers compartment 0.02

I just cut my windsheild down taking 2 inches off the bottom. However as I was drilling the new holes to mount it the drill grabbed and I split the windsheild in two so now I too am shopping for one. I am also pondering the vent question when it dawned on me that the 1st gens have vents in the dash plus a fair bit of air comes up past the steering head so I have wondered if it even makes a difference.

I have not attempted any mods on my windshields as of yet. I tried to use my dash vents but was unsure if they pushed any usable air. Don't feel bad about cracking the original windshield as I have done it too. The windshield my bike came with was hazed and when putting pressure to buff the haze out a small crack it had near the mounting holes quickly made the shield two piece. I had a Harley tinted shield mounted ( can be seen on my initial post of pics of my bike) and was considering cutting it down as I have already drilled the mounting holes with success.

Squidley thanks for mentioning the removal of the tubing for increased air flow I might have to try it.

Changed the windscreen to a 10" tinted. In the summer it's OK, but during the winter...when I hardly ride... one a bit taller would be better. Plus on long rides a shorty gets a little tiresome from the head on buffeting. May go to something a little taller??

I love the Baggershield for exactly this!

Please consider this when purchasing and choosing a helmet:

Distribution of impact locations on motorcycle helmets, all collisions, based on a study by Dietmar Otte.29

Greatest impact area is the chin area. A good reason to have a full face helmet.

Baggershield. Best of both worlds. Around town I flip it down to feel the breeze. Highway runs I flip it up to block the wind. When up it's just enough shorter than stock that I can see over it fine. Slightly wider too so I get a better pocket.

+1 on the Baggershield. Great invention.

I wear a Nolan full face modular.

I just cut my windsheild down taking 2 inches off the bottom. However as I was drilling the new holes to mount it the drill grabbed and I split the windsheild in two so now I too am shopping for one. I am also pondering the vent question when it dawned on me that the 1st gens have vents in the dash plus a fair bit of air comes up past the steering head so I have wondered if it even makes a difference.

I have never felt any appreciable breeze coming from the vents near the windshield on my 1st gen. Do feel a teeny bit coming from the steering head area...but not enough to cool me. If I keep the 1st gen, I will get a shorter/wider/vented with recurve Clearview for her. I need the air flow here in the desert.

Using the shoulda woulda coulda theory I realize (and should have realized :doh:) that I should have started with a small pilot hole 1st then opened it up using a small step drill at slow speed or a tapered reamer going through only half way and then finishing from the other side.:bang head:

You don't always have to be stupid to be dumb :confused24: