IGNORED

Windshields, vents, and helmets

Brenner

I have to ask as the riding season approaches and my project is nearing completion my thoughts have turned to wondering what to expect from a full fairing bike. I have experience on a naked bike and last year tried a slipstreamer windscreen that in my opinion blocked a little too much air and took the fun out of the ride. Now honestly I had not even thought about this until recently looking at some pics of ventures and noting some had windscreens with build in venting. So I gues what I would like to ask to all is due to your experience what windscreen do you run (vented or not) and what helmet might you find suits your needs because of the protection of the windscreen? I have a half helmet I ran in hot weather, a 3/4 open face for spring and summer and a full face for winter. Will I no longer need the heavier helmets for wind protection? Inquiring minds would like to know your opinions.

I am on a 2nd gen and replaced the stock 17inch screen with a shorter 14inch as I could not stand to look through it. Now I am loooking over it. The new screen is also wider on each side. Suprisingly, the buffeting was also reduced. I run shorty helmet in the warm months and a full face in the colder months.

I am on a 2nd gen and replaced the stock 17inch screen with a shorter 14inch as I could not stand to look through it. Now I am loooking over it. The new screen is also wider on each side. Suprisingly, the buffeting was also reduced. I run shorty helmet in the warm months and a full face in the colder months.

Bert206, I know there are some cheapo short shields on Amazon (I posted a thread) but they don't indicate WIDER. I have a full size F4 Custom, it is WIDER. But they don't make a 14" wide.

What screen did you buy, brand/model - link to seller?

I would like to see about a 14" for summer, but me too, want wider.

Thanks, Mike G in SC

Bert206, I know there are some cheapo short shields on Amazon (I posted a thread) but they don't indicate WIDER. I have a full size F4 Custom, it is WIDER. But they don't make a 14" wide.

What screen did you buy, brand/model - link to seller?

I would like to see about a 14" for summer, but me too, want wider.

Thanks, Mike G in SC

I got it from Yamaha through my dealer, it is a stock part for them. Was about 150cnd for it 2 years ago.

I got it from Yamaha through my dealer, it is a stock part for them. Was about 150cnd for it 2 years ago.

Looks like the OEM middle size is now 12.5". Stadium Yamaha in TX has a good price of $155 ( Windshields : Stadium Yamaha )

Bert, any chance that is what you have? If so, could you measure the width tip to tip on the back side, bottom. (stock is 23", my F4 is 28" wide).

Thanks, Mike G

We used a stock sized shield. I had to sit up to see over it,,, bit of a bummer, but my passenger is also important and with a lower shield (we tried it) her head was constantly whipped from side to side. Now that could be to the strength etc of her neck muscles, but the condition was there so the stock size was in as well as 2 inch wings on either side.

Marca first used a Bell 3\4 helmet but it had a visor on the front and caught a lot of wind for her, so we discontinued that one and now both use 3\4 with short visors. We don't use the 1\2 helmets for safety reasons,,, at least in our head anyways, and neither of us can get into a full face without needing to rip it off.

I have a full array of helmets I use, 1/2 helmet w/visor, 3/4 helmet w/visor, full face helmet that needed replaced and a new modular helmet to replace the full face. My favorite is by far the 3/4 helmet w/visor. I wear it in temps of 50 to 80F and find it the most comfortable of the lot. In colder temps I opted for the full face, which will now be replaced by the purchased, but untried, modular helmet. In really hot weather I will use my 1/2 helmet w/visor and it is comfortable but I feel it compromises safety to a degree. I believe staying a bit cooler keeps me sharper mentally and offsets the increased risk of the shorter helmet. Nothing scientific, just me justifying things to myself. I ride a 2nd Gen. with the large BaggerShield. It is wider than stock and gives me the option of taller or shorter windshield whenever I want, and I do use both. It is the single best mod I have made, at least tied wit my rider backrest. A comfortable helmet is a must to enjoy the ride. My wife always wore a full face exclusively until last year when we got the RSV. She now also has a 1/2 helmet w/visor and loves it. Mainly because riding is strictly a warm/hot weather activity for her. If I am going to have only one available, as on my trip to NC last year when I left home at 35 deg. F and arrived in Chapel Hill that afternoon at near 80 deg.F the 3/4 helmet with visor and a flat, 5-snap shield, that I could remove when it got warm, wrap in a t-shirt and stuff in a saddlebag, is always my choice. Now that you made me think about it I really only need one, the 3/4 with the optional shield and a balaclava handles the cold just fine and if it was a well ventilated one, would handle the hot just fine without the shield. One, all purpose helmet, nah, that there is just crazy talk.

This is my first season with my full fairing bike. When I bought it the guy had a shorty smoked shield on it, but he did give me the clear tall one as well (he said was an aftermarket). I rode a bare bones softtail and a half lid before. I will have to see how the new set up will work for me, but I am ready for some of that wind and occasional bug to be blocked now.

Looks like the OEM middle size is now 12.5". Stadium Yamaha in TX has a good price of $155 ( Windshields : Stadium Yamaha )

Bert, any chance that is what you have? If so, could you measure the width tip to tip on the back side, bottom. (stock is 23", my F4 is 28" wide).

Thanks, Mike G

Yup, I had my numbers wrong, just measured and it is11inches from top of trim to top of shield. They usually measure from lower down so 12.5 would be right. The witdh measured from the inside is 27inches. Sorry about that:whistling:

Thanks Bert,

I like the width, but I just put a ruler to my shield. Not sure if I want that short(?). Will see what I find in the next month or so.

Again, thanks for checking,

Mike G

Oh, and the rest of the question,, Wife and I normally wear a half helmet (Scorpion). We do have full for dead of winter and expected heavy rain but have only used them a couple times this season.

Just so you know even at that short lenght I only get wind on top of my helmet. My wife is not a tall person, so as a passenger she does not get wind as she is shorter than me even when sitting. She did notice less buffeting from the sides though.

I took and measured how high I thought I wanted my windshield. I had awindshield off my 900 vulcan and it was a memphis shades. So I cut it off and modified it to fit the RSV. I missed it by about an inch to 2 inches in heighth. Get some head buffit, but its livable short trips, say an hour or so. She wears a 3/4 bell mag 8 as do I most time. Solo I have a 1\2 scorpion es100 or something with a hide away visor.

Thank you all who replied. This has given me something to mull over. I think I will have to ride a few times and try to decide if I want to cut a vent in my screen or just lower it to where I feel the wind but honestly I think I am going to let my passenger decide as it sounds like she will be taking most of the brunt of the wind. I will post what happens if anything once a decision is made.

One helmet year round. Nolan Ncom103. It's a flip face. The only problem I've had with one is my ears hurting like 'H' going over Bear Tooth Pass and forgetting to close the vents. It was a bit chilly...

Changed the windscreen to a 10" tinted. In the summer it's OK, but during the winter...when I hardly ride... one a bit taller would be better. Plus on long rides a shorty gets a little tiresome from the head on buffeting. May go to something a little taller??

2014-06-20 10.38.53.jpg

• 1 month later...
Thank you all who replied. This has given me something to mull over. I think I will have to ride a few times and try to decide if I want to cut a vent in my screen or just lower it to where I feel the wind but honestly I think I am going to let my passenger decide as it sounds like she will be taking most of the brunt of the wind. I will post what happens if anything once a decision is made.

I just cut my windsheild down taking 2 inches off the bottom. However as I was drilling the new holes to mount it the drill grabbed and I split the windsheild in two so now I too am shopping for one. I am also pondering the vent question when it dawned on me that the 1st gens have vents in the dash plus a fair bit of air comes up past the steering head so I have wondered if it even makes a difference.

Baggershield. Best of both worlds. Around town I flip it down to feel the breeze. Highway runs I flip it up to block the wind. When up it's just enough shorter than stock that I can see over it fine. Slightly wider too so I get a better pocket.