IGNORED

Hot feet

oconeedan

Hello, I'm new here, and just bought a "new to me" 07 RSTD.

I live in GA, where I ride year around. I also have a long commute to work, so I rack up miles pretty quick.

The lower fairing is new to me, the heat is nice in cold weather. But today, over 70 degrees, I can really feel the heat on my feet. I am guessing that in hot weather, it's gonna get hot.

So...how do most of you deal with this? It looks like the lowers need to stay there, as they are not just for blocking wind.

Along the same lines, I think I'm going to cut the windshield to nose height (when the weather warms up), and buy a bat wing for next Winter so it'll cover my hands. My old bike (00 Honda ACE Tourer), I'd ride it down to around 25 or so. I made hand guards, and have heated gloves.

Thank you in advance. Dan

Hi Dan and welcome. The lowers have a lot of the cruse and electrical components in them. The best way to get your feet away from the heat is a good set of road pegs. There is a set of wind deflectors that bole to the crash bar that is adjustable and that helps also.

Welcome Dan, As slowrollwv mentioned a good set of highway pegs is the best way to keep cooler in the summer.

Not just the feet but also up the pant legs.

I installed a set on my RSV right after getting it and have ridden across the Nevada and Utah deserts in the summer but thought it's HOT it wasn't bad on my feet.

Another good idea if you don't already have them is a good pair of riding boots. They will help the feet stay cooler much better than sneakers.

Hi Dan,

Wanted to take a second and welcome you to VR! :welcome::2ORANGE:

I have never ridden an RSTD so I probably wont be much help to you. I do know that when I ride my 83 Venture out west and my feet get hot I usually find comfort by putting my socks and my riding boots back on.. Wait a minute,,,, I also had an old Sportster that burned a leg or two in its life, I found that pipe wrap helped it a lot. I also know that if your bike is not stock, if it has an open air box and different pipes, it could be running leaner than it should be and whenever you lean out an engine they tend to run hotter,, just a thought..

At any rate, hope you find relief for the hot feet, enjoy your time here and have a GREAT riding season!!

Puc

Welcome Dan,

I too came from a 98 Ace Tourer to my RSV. That was one of the first things I noticed, other than the weight of the RSV. The heat down low can be mitigated by getting yourself a set of lower wind wings to push the heat away. And was already said, get some highway pegs to get your feet out into the windstream.

By the way, ,, you won't make many friends here by rubbing in the fact that you can ride year around while we're frozen and up to our @#&* in :snow2: :stickpoke:

Welcome Dan,

I too came from a 98 Ace Tourer to my RSV. That was one of the first things I noticed, other than the weight of the RSV. The heat down low can be mitigated by getting yourself a set of lower wind wings to push the heat away. And was already said, get some highway pegs to get your feet out into the windstream.

By the way, ,, you won't make many friends here by rubbing in the fact that you can ride year around while we're frozen and up to our @#&* in :snow2: :stickpoke:

:2cents:,,,,, his bark is far worse than his :stickpoke: Dan!! Seems like just a couple weeks ago that Mr. :snow2::witch_brew: himself was down there by you :beer: in the :sun1: and he made sure that all his friends back here in the :cold: knew all about it :buttkick: :big-grin-emoticon:

I will say this though,, we do have some :photographing: rule here that, simply stated reads :worthless:but is more harshly interpreted "no pics = it did not happen".. I am not sure if "trial" members can post pics but if you can and you dont do it and start asking about your bike than, yea,, a few of these lop eared :178:'s might really start scratching fleas or something.. :Laugh:

:2cents:,,,,, his bark is far worse than his :stickpoke: Dan!! Seems like just a couple weeks ago that Mr. :snow2::witch_brew: himself was down there by you :beer: in the :sun1: and he made sure that all his friends back here in the :cold: knew all about it :buttkick: :big-grin-emoticon:

I will say this though,, we do have some :photographing: rule here that, simply stated reads :worthless:but is more harshly interpreted "no pics = it did not happen".. I am not sure if "trial" members can post pics but if you can and you dont do it and start asking about your bike than, yea,, a few of these lop eared :178:'s might really start scratching fleas or something.. :Laugh:

:doh: :innocent: :sign06:

I have these on mine and they work great:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/image_23351_300.jpg

Also use these instead of pegs, they hook up to the floor boards:

http://www.westendmotorsports.com/images/CWI05-176.png

Dan rather than spend quite a bit on a new windshield I rummaged thru the garage and found a windshield off my 900 vulcan I had when I replaced it with a fairing. It was a Memphis shades Phat. I laid the RSV windshield on top after I measured about how high I wanted it. Then cut it off at the bottom and drilled holes to fit.

With the tour deluxe I don't know what kind of options you might have if one of the less expensive replacement types will work and you can swap back and forth.

I have these on mine and they work great:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/image_23351_300.jpg

Also use these instead of pegs, they hook up to the floor boards:

http://www.westendmotorsports.com/images/CWI05-176.png

I want a set of the floorboard pegs. You know whats coming next... Where didja get em?

Thanks!

Welcome to the site. The best price I found on the lower deflectors was at yamahasportsplaza.com, they are $164.21. That's where I got mine and I love them. You can also take the fork lowers off, that'll let a little more air in over the top of the lowers. I usually always took mine off my first Venture in hot weather, my '99 didn't have them when I bought it.

Hi Dan and welcome from another semi local. Hubby and I live in lizella and are always looking for someone to ride with on the weekends.

Thanks to everyone, lots of good advice here.

GaWildKat, thanks for the invite. Right now, work has me very busy. I usually spend my weekends getting caught up on chores. (I typically put on over 600 miles a week on the bike for commute to work, and usually don't "need" a weekend ride.)

I would like to meet ya'll though, and maybe we can meet in Gray for some BBQ sometime.

Dan

Welcome to the site. The best price I found on the lower deflectors was at yamahasportsplaza.com, they are $164.21. That's where I got mine and I love them. You can also take the fork lowers off, that'll let a little more air in over the top of the lowers. I usually always took mine off my first Venture in hot weather, my '99 didn't have them when I bought it.

Wrench, I followed your link to Yamaha Sports Plaza and couldn't find those deflectors. Did you purchase them recently?

Here's a little better price, $167, on the Yamaha deflectors. There are a few dealers that have good Internet pricing.

Usually my local dealer will match them if I bring in the printed page.

Stadium Yamaha and Central Yamaha in Dallas area, Cucamonga Yamaha, in Coo-caaaa-mon-ga CA as Johnny Carson would say.

Tinted Lower Wind Vents : Stadium Yamaha

I have them on my RSTD and my RSV. They mostly help in cold weather to keep feet warm. In summer, if you put them full in, it can push more hot air on you lower legs & feet. So, I normally put them just in slightly to bring fresh air on the legs but not on the engine in summer.