IGNORED

1986 Venture Royale carburator

Doing some work on my 86 VR. Have cleaned carbs and checked jets and all seem clean. Put carbs back in and runs but doesn't seems to take gas. Compression seems fine on all cylinders but number 2 does not seem to get hot like others. Looking down at throttle bodies at idle number 2 is quivering and moving while others are still. Is this normally or another problem like maybe diaphram. Bike runs better with air filter on. Anyone have any ideas?

These bikes run better with the air box on. If you don't see the sliders moving, either the sliders are sticking or the diaphrams are bad. Check the diaphrams out and make sure they don't have holes and that they are installed properly.

If the diaphrams are good, from inside, gently pry the sliders outwards with a screw driver and see if they free up. DON'T pull them from the outside!!! You can guess how I know not to do that.

Good luck.

Hey JJ,

Off of the top of my head, this issue might be electric in nature. A quick check would be to pull the plug wire on the cylinder that is not getting hot, (ground the plug wire to the engine) and see if it runs the same. If it does, then you have a plug wire, coil, TCI issue, NOT a Carb. issue. If the engine dies with the plug wire off, remove the Diaphragms and sliders carefully, hold them up to a good bright light, and check for pin holes. Any light coming thru the Diaphragms means air is leaking past the Diaphragm. Have you done a Carb. Sync? How about adjusting the idle mixture screws? If you need help, feel free to Pm me.

Earl