IGNORED

Started Physical Therapy Today

Chaharly

Well I went in to the hospital yesterday to get my 1 week post-op checkup done. They took me out of my original cast which will have been the first time that I'd personally seen the job they did. Boy 2 weeks without use sure makes it look small! :8: I was surprised by how painful my arm was out of the cast. Ive never been in one before so this is all new to me! Well I had to go to the radiologists for a few xrays and as I walked in I was greeted by two beautiful, older (than me, maybe 25 or so) women who were both very nice. As nice as they were though they did end up making it on my least favorite people list for that day. I had to turn and bend my arm until they could get a decent shot. OUCHH!!!!!!:amen: So once I was out of the torture room the two pretty (but evil) radiologists said farewell as I went to see my doctor.

004.jpg003.jpg002.jpg

Well she told me that the xrays look great, I told her they look down right scary! She said I have alot of swelling but the incisions looked great. She tested my mobility and immediately suggested (ordered) that I get physical therapy. I thought to myself the rest of the night about how down right stupid that was and thatd I'd get better by myself.:fiddle::2133::2132:

Well I went in today to meet my physical therapist. I was again greeted by a new pretty face but I decided I wasnt going to fall for it thit time. That pretty face to me just means PAAAIIINNN now :) Well day one was just getting a feel for it and to get some measurements. The very first thing I did was try to make a fist... not going to happen. Then I had to rotate my hand front to back. I have 80 degrees of movement on my good hand and 12 degrees on my bad hand. On my right hand I can squeeze about 135lb psi (or whatever their system of measurement is), my left... 15... I have about 15lbs worth of pressure between my right thumb and index and about one in my left. I am now a TOTAL believer in phyical therapy. There is nothing more eye opening than actually seeing her measure my operable moving range.:depressed::depressed::depressed::bang head::bang head::bang head: I had no idea itd be that bad. Then she put me in a heated cornhusk machine to do some stretches which I must say felt AMAZING!!!!:superman:

But to end this long story my first day of PT will be memorable forever. Heck it went SO WELL that they signed me up for another 10 weeks. GREAT!!! I'm just glad that evil, pretty faced lady knows what she's doing:178:

Be safe out there guys, this stuff is no fun!!!:rant:

I broke a little bugger bone in my wrist called a navicular. That was something like 30+ yrs ago. I still have limited grip and mobility. Cold damp weather with it sucks too. Good luck and work at it as hard as you can stand. It will only help on the other end of theropy.

I guess I missed the orginal thread. So refresh what happened. Were you the one that slipped on the ice and up ended?

Well I went in to the hospital yesterday to get my 1 week post-op checkup done. They took me out of my original cast which will have been the first time that I'd personally seen the job they did. Boy 2 weeks without use sure makes it look small! :8: I was surprised by how painful my arm was out of the cast. Ive never been in one before so this is all new to me! Well I had to go to the radiologists for a few xrays and as I walked in I was greeted by two beautiful, older (than me, maybe 25 or so) women who were both very nice. As nice as they were though they did end up making it on my least favorite people list for that day. I had to turn and bend my arm until they could get a decent shot. OUCHH!!!!!!:amen: So once I was out of the torture room the two pretty (but evil) radiologists said farewell as I went to see my doctor.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97244[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]97245[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]97246[/ATTACH]

Well she told me that the xrays look great, I told her they look down right scary! She said I have alot of swelling but the incisions looked great. She tested my mobility and immediately suggested (ordered) that I get physical therapy. I thought to myself the rest of the night about how down right stupid that was and thatd I'd get better by myself.:fiddle::2133::2132:

Well I went in today to meet my physical therapist. I was again greeted by a new pretty face but I decided I wasnt going to fall for it thit time. That pretty face to me just means PAAAIIINNN now :) Well day one was just getting a feel for it and to get some measurements. The very first thing I did was try to make a fist... not going to happen. Then I had to rotate my hand front to back. I have 80 degrees of movement on my good hand and 12 degrees on my bad hand. On my right hand I can squeeze about 135lb psi (or whatever their system of measurement is), my left... 15... I have about 15lbs worth of pressure between my right thumb and index and about one in my left. I am now a TOTAL believer in phyical therapy. There is nothing more eye opening than actually seeing her measure my operable moving range.:depressed::depressed::depressed::bang head::bang head::bang head: I had no idea itd be that bad. Then she put me in a heated cornhusk machine to do some stretches which I must say felt AMAZING!!!!:superman:

But to end this long story my first day of PT will be memorable forever. Heck it went SO WELL that they signed me up for another 10 weeks. GREAT!!! I'm just glad that evil, pretty faced lady knows what she's doing:178:

Be safe out there guys, this stuff is no fun!!!:rant:

Hokey spamokey Cha, looks like them butchers screwed a spanner wrench to your bones!!! Make sure they let you keep that sucker if they ever decide to take it out - its probably titanium and looks just about the perfect size for adjusting neck bearings on these Yammers!!

Thoughts and Prayers Up while you heal and get your strength back - I TOTALLY agree with you - PT is the best thing in the world - stick with em!!

I broke a little bugger bone in my wrist called a navicular. That was something like 30+ yrs ago. I still have limited grip and mobility. Cold damp weather with it sucks too. Good luck and work at it as hard as you can stand. It will only help on the other end of theropy.

I guess I missed the orginal thread. So refresh what happened. Were you the one that slipped on the ice and up ended?

Yea DJ, you missed it,, here is Cha's story,, could have been a LOT worse!!

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/watering-hole/96017-pics-yesterdays-ride.html

Hokey spamokey Cha, looks like them butchers screwed a spanner wrench to your bones!!! Make sure they let you keep that sucker if they ever decide to take it out - its probably titanium and looks just about the perfect size for adjusting neck bearings on these Yammers!!

Thoughts and Prayers Up while you heal and get your strength back - I TOTALLY agree with you - PT is the best thing in the world - stick with em!!

Yea DJ, you missed it,, here is Cha's story,, could have been a LOT worse!!

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/watering-hole/96017-pics-yesterdays-ride.html

Again Puc saves the day with the hyperlinks! Thanks dude!

And DJ I dont know the actual names but I broke the "cup" section of the joint clean through. The first ambulance told me my wrist felt fine! They said it would probably heal ok but there would be a little chunk of cartalidge that would stick out and constantly be irritated by the ball in my hand. Ive been told by many folks, including folks on this site that breaking a bone in your wrist can be very complicated. It seems simple enough but I guess us humans have some complicated du dads in our hands and wrists. Thats unfortunate youre still in pain and never quite healed right :( I'm sorry to hear that. I bet they could always re-break it! :smash2:

I'm fortunate enough that my job offers short term disability leave and I think if I refused PT they wont pay me anymore. I figure I better not argue with that, but it really helps make a man appreciate his job more.

And puc I'll make you a deal. I'll send you my high tech, hospital grade, neck bearing wrench if you will give me some pointers on CTFWing. I still have an 11 day trip planned for out west this year!!!

your lucky your young. Us old farts take longer to heal, then arther attacks us. Do every thing that they tell you to do. It will pay you back ten fold. It only hurts for a while then its strength building time. I would hate to say how many times I have been through pt. Make sure to have fun while there tease them. Make them happy and it will go better.

Hey CJ, I understand cold can / bottle therapy is very relaxing too...and you must soak the wound in alcohol(from the inside out) and hold the bottle up high when applying the medicinal alcohol. This takes care of the elevation part of therapy. LOL Really though therapy seems to drag on, it is a very small price to pay for healthy mobility for the rest of your life. Best of luck.

Bill

I was doing something foolish over 40 yrs ago and broke my wrist. After therapy my doc said to get some light grip strength grips and also make a light weight 2lbs or less tool with a rope tied to the weight and stick ( I used a broom stick handle cut to size) and roll the rope up simulating like turn turning the throttle and I'd build my strength back since I was not going to give up riding. the wrist still working fine and still riding.

Hey CJ, I understand cold can / bottle therapy is very relaxing too...and you must soak the wound in alcohol(from the inside out) and hold the bottle up high when applying the medicinal alcohol. This takes care of the elevation part of therapy. LOL Really though therapy seems to drag on, it is a very small price to pay for healthy mobility for the rest of your life. Best of luck.

Bill

Well shucks I've been doing that physical therapy for YEARS!!!

I was doing something foolish over 40 yrs ago and broke my wrist. After therapy my doc said to get some light grip strength grips and also make a light weight 2lbs or less tool with a rope tied to the weight and stick ( I used a broom stick handle cut to size) and roll the rope up simulating like turn turning the throttle and I'd build my strength back since I was not going to give up riding. the wrist still working fine and still riding.

Luckily enough its my left hand!!! I do like their heated saw dust machine though!

Do what the docs and therapist's say and you should be ok. i did what they told me when i went deer hunting with my bike and broke my wrist and dislocated my big toe, things are all good now! keep up the good work and you should turn out O-tay!:thumbsup2::fingers-crossed-emo

So you didn't even have to take the deer to the butcher. Looks like you came out with plenty of deer burgers and deer jerky :255:

Bill

Well shucks I've been doing that physical therapy for YEARS!!!

Luckily enough its my left hand!!! I do like their heated saw dust machine though!

Do what the docs and therapist's say and you should be ok. i did what they told me when i went deer hunting with my bike and broke my wrist and dislocated my big toe, things are all good now! keep up the good work and you should turn out O-tay!:thumbsup2::fingers-crossed-emo

So you didn't even have to take the deer to the butcher. Looks like you came out with plenty of deer burgers and deer jerky :255:

When I was about 30yrs old, I broke two fingers and a bone in my left hand. The doc gave me some Demerol pills. Since I was in the habit of quaffing a few ales after work at that time, I asked how Demerol and beer mixed. He said, "FINE". One day after therapy, my hand was hurting and I took Demerol followed by a few beers and I have never been on such a happy high before or since! It's a good thing Demerol is a prescription drug.

Bill

When I was about 30yrs old, I broke two fingers and a bone in my left hand. The doc gave me some Demerol pills. Since I was in the habit of quaffing a few ales after work at that time, I asked how Demerol and beer mixed. He said, "FINE". One day after therapy, my hand was hurting and I took Demerol followed by a few beers and I have never been on such a happy high before or since! It's a good thing Demerol is a prescription drug.

Haha seems like a perfect tip! They gave me loritab and I gotta tell you they do mix with beer! About as well as coca cola and mentos! Talk about stomach fizz!

I've got two more days of p/t next week and I'll probably be done with mine,,, again. Had an episode last weekend of what the physical therapist said was scar tissue breaking up in my back,,,, IT HURT. I've got more flex/less pain now but it's still got a ways to go. I told my therapist yesterday that I thought it must be a requirement for them to spend a week with the Devil so they can get their torture training. Just remember, it'll feel better when it quits hurting!!