IGNORED

Wonderful night in emergency room

Freebird

I was out of town until getting home around 2:00 yesterday. Driveway was in desperate need of snow removal so I got on the old John Deere and got busy. Was almost done but had to go in the house to use the restroom. Got finished and was putting my coat on to go back out and finish and got really dizzy and almost passed out. Sat down on a stool at the kitchen bar and got worse so got in my recliner. Stayed there for a few minutes and thought I was feeling good enough to finish up. Made it about half way across the room and almost passed out again. Got back in my recliner and the chest pains started. I figured they would stop in a couple of minutes but 15 minutes later and no relief. Made the mistake of yelling for Eileen who was upstairs. She came down and helped me get to the bed. Of course I would have been fine but NOOOOOOO....she wouldn't let it go. Next thing I knew, I could hear her talking to somebody on the phone and then she came in and told me that I was not to move. Not to try getting up...nothing. The person that she talked to at the Cleveland Clinic had called an ambulance and it was on the way........

So....the ambulance shows up and I'm off to the hospital with IVs, hear monitors, all kind of crap hooked to me. Enjoyed a few hours in the emergency room and then a cat scan and some blood work. One of the tests had showed positive for a clot but they said that the test often returned a false positive. Cat scan did not show anything. Heartbeat was a bit fast but otherwise OK. Still, they insisted on admitting me and monitoring my heart.

Spent all day today in the hospital. They feel that I have some blockage and wanted to schedule me for stress tests and etc. I told them that was all well and good but that I wasn't staying in the hospital until next week when they want to do it. I suggested to them that they could remove the IVs and etc. or that I could but either way, I was going home. The cardiologist agreed that there was no reason for me to stay and signed my release papers.

So...I'm home now and am not especially concerned about any of this. I'm sure it will all be fine. Will follow up though and get the stress tests and etc. done.

Needless to say, I've been a bit preoccupied over the past day and got behind on my email. Just went through more than 300 emails and think I answered all that I needed to. If I missed something from you, let me know.

It's all good my friends.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, well, it's a good thing she's watching out after you. You realize that she will be watching you like a hawk for a while.

It's better to know what is going on than not. So I hope your tests next week go well.

If your out snow blowing and that happens you could always call Eileen and ask her what the number for 911 is.

Prayers Up Boss!! DONT DO THAT,, scare us like that!!

Get in there and get that stress test!! Eileen,, you go girl!! Now ya gotta follow this rascal into the stress testing room and tell them he HAS TO HAVE THE TEST WITH THE INJECTION AND SCANNING!! Dont let em mess around without it!!

It dont hurt that bad Don,, its just a little poke.. BE BRAVE CAUSE WE WANT OUR CHIEF!!

Thoughts and prayers that all is ok!!

We all knew Eileen had the "looks" in the family, turns out she has the "brains" too! Glad she got you to the Clinic, you dont want to mess around with your ticker. My 42 yr old son showed up at my house one morning with the same symptoms, took him to the ER and within a few hrs they were doing a cath on him 99% blockage in the "widowmaker" they said he was lucky to be alive! If you havent quit smoking thats gonna be the first thing they tell you to do! Take Care, Craig

Glad Eileen was there to take care of you!!

About a week or so after I gave blood the last time, I was in the process of switching blood pressure medications and I almost blacked out when I got up to go to the bathroom. My wife jumped up and kept me from falling. I took that as a sign that I was too old to give blood any more. My blood pressure was really low.

Are you on bp meds? Any change in meds? Weight loss?

Have you been doing aerobic exercises? I'm not requesting answers. Just suggesting you think about anything that may have changed recently that may have contributed to this episode.

I had something similar in September. After multiple EKGs, blood work, chest x-ray and a stress test the conclusion was a muscle spasm. Hope yours turns out similar.

(Gee, they managed to lose me twice, do a stress test and still have me on the street in only 17 hours. What kind of outfit do you have there?)

80mg aspirin labeled "Heart healthy"... every day.

You probably already know this, but, in case you don't, people die every year from becoming overheated, and take their jackets off while shoveling snow. The skin will cool, and seriously restrict the flow of blood and cause your blood pressure to go ballistic...

Glad your ok

I don't agree. I have had the pleasure of open heart surgery and watching several of my friends die from not getting the proper medical attention. Guess what FOR THESE EXACT SAME SYMPTOMS. This is not normal. Get the stress test. And an angiogram. Do not fool around with this. I don't want to loose another. Eileen was right to be concerned.

Mike

Ouch. Damn snow it will be the death of us all. If you let it. As my dad used to tell me {as he was banging his cane on the ground} Golden Years My a$$. As we grow older we should pass our wealth around by hiring those unpleasent tasks out to others, say albiet younger others and enjoy life a little more. Unless plowing, shoveling and breathing lungbusting cold air is fun for you. So, sit in the boat easy and let the waves come to you. We don't want to lose our leader, without you whos going to be around to squelch a political uprising?:buttkick::rotf:

I had much the same awhile back. Had all the tests done and everything. In my case it was an anxiety attack. (much the same symptoms though) doctor told me to take 2000 mg of vitamin D every day. I did, still do and it definitely seems to be working, I don't stress near as bad as before if at all and the symptoms have totally vanished. He said that these days with everyone fearing too much UV and staying out of the sun we are not getting enough vitamin D and so anxiety attacks are on the rise.

Now that is not to say you should not get checked out. You may get lucky like me in which case the testing sure lifts a weight off of your mind. Or you do have a heart issue and it gets caught in time to be properly dealt with. Either result is well worth the inconvenience.

don, listen to those doctors. that ain't nothing to mess with. take it easy, and don't over do it till they run them tests. sounds like they aren't real concerned or they would have kept you. i had a heart attack in my early 40's and they kept me in intensive care for a week. i'm 72 and still here and still snarley. i said a little prayer for you buddy. bill