IGNORED

New Bike?

rougeray

Kinda got the itch to buy a new bike. I would buy a new RSV but alas Yamaha doesn't make them anymore. Don't like the looks of the Indians Victory's & BMW's don't like the dependability of a Harley (air cooled engine), Suzuki for get it. Sooo that leaves the Kawasaki 1700 Voyager ABS. Has anybody got experience with this bike. Would like to stay with the V4 engine but......:confused24:

There was a brand new 2012 venture posted a couple days ago, on this site, that showed a dealer in New York with one at a large discount. It was a black, I think around 15k. Good luck

Bill

There was also a new 2013 posted a couple of days ago. Gray and black. 14k + an additional discount for VentureRider members. I don't recall who posted so I hope they will chime in here.

Mike

Kinda got the itch to buy a new bike. I would buy a new RSV but alas Yamaha doesn't make them anymore. Don't like the looks of the Indians Victory's & BMW's don't like the dependability of a Harley (air cooled engine), Suzuki for get it. Sooo that leaves the Kawasaki 1700 Voyager ABS. Has anybody got experience with this bike. Would like to stay with the V4 engine but......:confused24:

Before you purchase, PLEASE see if you can go get an extensive test ride. I took a 2011 out, before getting the RSV. I have found, as others that these bikes retain a lot of excessive heat, which makes it very uncomfortable for the rider. kawasaki decides to put an after market, fan/cowl kit that is not under warranty and the price is $400, and on top of that, there is not any favorable reviews. Some people, also complain about the thin trunks and saddlebags. I guess comparing to HD. They have front speakers, but again, extra for the rear plus installation. The handling was sweet and the shifting nice. It is liquid cooled, so that helps. The previous owner of my now new goldwing actually sold his to me because his wife wanted a voyager. Last time I spoke to him, a few weeks ago, she was miserable.

I own a Vulcan 1500 and love it. I think kawi took the cheap way out, in trying to compete. The most annoying gripe is the immense heat the pipes put out. I test rode about 15 miles and I felt like I had 2nd degree burns on my right calf.

I'm not saying the bike is a bad bike, it's most likely very reliable as most vulcans are. Mine is 15 years old and still rocks with no issues. However, please do yourself justice by weighing out options on the voyager. Overall I am disappointed in kawasaki and their inability to provide a touring bike that is just as reliable, safe and fun to ride as the other models....

Before you purchase, PLEASE see if you can go get an extensive test ride.

DO THAT!!!

Matter of fact,, the more knowledgeable you become about anything that perks your interest, the less chance of Buyers Remorse you have!! THE most important thing is getting a new bike that YOU are gonna enjoy your time on!!

That said,, the buying season is upon us!! You can use Adhuntr.com (searches Craigs all over the country) and find all kinds of dealers offering GREAT prices on left overs.. I also watch Ebay closely throughout the winter months and am shocked by bike prices in certain locations.. Last year (bought and resold over 10 Harleys) the hot spots were California, Texas and Florida.. Just takes a little research time but really really good deals are out there.. Heads up with Ebay,, sort by "newest listed" if looking for new left overs with low buy it now prices.. I personally know of 4 dealerships (ones even a Harley Shop) that buys LOTS of bikes this way for their showrooms.. Ya gotta get em right away or the good deals are gone!!

Might be wise to also check on the transferability of remaining warranties on used bikes.. Realistically, if you run across a slightly used RSV that was purchased as a left over at less than half of MSRP,,, well,,, nothing wrong with saving a buck...

Harley has come a longgggg way in their dependability arena, the latest Twin Cam (09 and up) seems to be a pretty solid machine (I do know of a number of Switch Backs that have had problems though but for some reason, only that model:confused24:).. I have seen a number of them now with well over 100k on em.. The key there seems to lay in finding a way to run them in stock form and be happy with their performance.. Truely,, the main complaint I have heard from Ultra/Road Glide Riders (including Freebird) has been about getting hot BUT that is not the same as a dependability complaint..

Didnt notice the Wing on your list either Rouger,,, may wanna get at least a test ride on that 1800,,, sure seems like LOTS of family members on here are showing up with smiles on their faces from that bike!!

What ever you end up with, get the bike that fits your ride style and is appealing to YOU:080402gudl_prv:,, then,, RIDE THAT PUPPY TILL THE COWS COME HOME!!

Puc

There was a brand new 2012 venture posted a couple days ago, on this site, that showed a dealer in New York with one at a large discount. It was a black, I think around 15k. Good luck

Bill

That bike is $14,000 to a member only and is at pioneer motorsports...they will ship that bike...Talk to Chad and tell him you are a member here....They can be found in the venders that offer us discounts section of the forum.....(716) 496 6000...they are in Chaffee ny...Great dealership to deal with.....I looked at that bike myself...full warranty also .:sign yeah that:This bike is they last year made model.......

I would say Chaffee Ny to Louisiana is a good test ride. If you have rode an RSV in the past then I dont know as you really need a test ride. You kind of know what your in for. But I have to agree with Barry on the Kawai. I was pretty set on buying a Voyager. Then I read up on the heat issues. They still really have not got them sorted out and its been like 5yr. You might also look through Cycle Trader for "NOS" bikes.

I just went through the same thing and after 3 months on a Harley Ultra Classic I sold it and went back to the RSV. Initially it was great but just not a Venture, I would like to test ride a new Road Master but the cost is out of my price range.

Sure would be a pretty ride, with the leaves changing, this time of year. All the way up north in New York, a scenic tour through the trees, deals gap, or maybe a coastal route. Very nice long weekend it sounds like.

Go for it. Its easy to spend your money.:cool10:

WOW Thank all of you for your replies. Looks like the Kawasaki is off the list. That's a shame as it's a good looking bike and the heat from the engine is the only bad thing anyone had to say about it. Price is good to.

My 07 has 75,000 miles on it and she runs better now than when I bought it thanks to some work done on it by Honda Yamaha of Knoxville. If your in that area and need work done, they have my recommendation.

I lost all confidence in the Honda Yamaha dealer here in BTR after they gave me the run around when the clutch started slipping and the cassette door would not latch around 40,000 miles. All should have been covered by the 5 yr warranty. Thanks to this forum I was able to get the SkyDoc_17 heavy duty clutch spring which solved the clutch slipping. I'm living with the cassette door.

Soooo what I'm saying is after sleeping on getting a new bike maybe what I've got is good. I know the bike and would not hesitate to take off to CA tomorrow. Thanks agin for all the info and recommendations. Hmmm Christmas is right around the corner.......maybe Santa Klaus will have something in his sleigh for me! :lightbulb:

A friend of mine just bought a voyager, 2012 leftover . I think he gave 12,500. He loves the bike. A lot of the body feels flimsy to me . His only complaint is engine heat. When he is stopped at a light the heat is unbearable. Says you can't wear shorts if you wanted to.