IGNORED

Exporting a created google map to my Garmin GPS

Eck

For the life of me, I can not figure it out.

I have searched to no avail on how to export a road trip map that I created from either Google maps or even in Map Quest that will download into my GSP.

I create the road map from town to town that I want to take, and then I have followed detailed instructions from several U-Tube videos on how to do this but none of them work.

All that loads in my Garmin GOS is the first town from where I start my ride. The download does not create the same map that I am trying to download. When I go into my favorite in the GOS, there is separate maps showing each separate town that I listed on the road trip map that I created.

Anyone know a "simple" way to create a complete daily road trip and down load it onto a Garmin nuvi 1300 GPS unit?

I'm slap wore out trying to figure it out on my own. For four days this is all I have been doing and I'm finally throwing inn the towel..

:confused24::confused24::confused24:.............:think::think::think::think:............

Eck I use Map Quest all the time and do not have a problem. Are you sure that you have Garmin communicator on your computer? With map quest there is a tab at the top right corner of the screen to send your route to your gps. If you have the gps settings on fastest time it will give you the direct rout and not what you drag and drop.

Boy I sure thought I saw a place on the google maps to export to a GPS. but now that I went there I dont. but I could open your route in TYRE and make a GPX file for you to import. Have you used TYRE? Its FREE

Downloaded it earlier today and it wont work...I even posted my comments on their group Facebook page. The latest revision of Tyre does not have a Garmim GPS tab at top left corner of page that was seen in the U-Tube video I watched. It did have the Tom Tom GPS tab though, and was able to create the GPX file, download it into my GPS, then I could see the GPX file in my GPS, but when I go to favorites or recently found folder in my GPS, I can not find the GPX file........Don't know why..

Eck I use Map Quest all the time and do not have a problem. Are you sure that you have Garmin communicator on your computer? With map quest there is a tab at the top right corner of the screen to send your route to your gps. If you have the gps settings on fastest time it will give you the direct rout and not what you drag and drop.

Been trying MapQuest several times today,. It will only download the first POI, not the entire map. I sure could not get it to work, I know exactly what tab at top right corner you are speaking of, and again, I was able to create a GPX file, download it into my GPS, and I could see the GPX file in my GPS, but when I go to my favorites or recently found folder in my GPS, I can not find the GPX file........Don't know why..

ECK post the link to the map/route you made. I'll see if I can make it a GPX file. Then I can just shoot you the file.

I was able to create a GPX file for every day ride (listed below), and according to "Tyre" it gives me a pop up that it was downloaded to my GPS..however, when I turn on my GOS, go to favorites or found new tabs, the file is not there. When I plug the cord into my GOS and into my lap top, the file is seen in the GOX tab section in the GPS...It doent make sence that it shows the file is in the GPS, but I can not see it when I unplug the GPS from my lap top and just try to find the GPX file in my GPS. Man I hope this makes sence where you can understand me. I'm not sure how to explain it.

Here you go:

For a start I listed 5 days of rides we will be taking. If you get it to work, by golly I would LOVE to speak to you over the phone and let you just walk me through it.

This is my Day 1 ride we will be taking: http://goo.gl/maps/voE0o

This is our Day 2 ride: http://goo.gl/maps/Gzhyh

This will be our Day 3 ride: http://goo.gl/maps/ZjTH2

This will be our day 4 ride: http://goo.gl/maps/6noCv

This will be our Day 5 ride: http://goo.gl/maps/R93r

I will be planning one -to- three more days of riding.

Any help you can give would be Greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Eck

Edited by Eck

Eck You may have to import the route into the GPS.. On the GPS you go to My Data and then to import data and then to import routes and you should see the files you added. Your GPS may want to recalculate the route which should be OK as long as you have enough waypoints to make it go the way you want. Otherwise it will take you shortest or fastest depending on your settings.

If I use Mapsource (Garmin's software) AND if I have the maps updated AND if they are both the same version then I don't have to import but IF any one of those things are not right then I have to import the route ON THE GPS..

Hope this is clear as mud..

If you need some more help of want me to walk you through it my phone number is in my profile..

Eck You may have to import the route into the GPS.. On the GPS you go to My Data and then to import data and then to import routes and you should see the files you added.

Thanks Wizard, but, here is what I have.

I have imported (5) GPX files to my GPS.

I went to the "MY DATA" folder in my GPS and yet the files are NOT there. There are only three choices in "My Data" folder which is as follows:

Choice 1 = Set home Location

Choice 2 = Delete Favorites

Choice three = Clear Log trip...

Now what?

I use Harley Davidson route planner..its free...you create points as locations then convert them to waypoints..then import to garmin 765 .you need garmin communicator...import to my data. Then go to custom routes and go..worked for last weeks 2500 mi trip to Kentucky with all back roads without GPS changing route

Eck, I too use Tyre. When it installs the setup defaults to Tom Tom gps. In the settings you can change it to Garmin. Once I became familiar with the Tyre interface I really like it. To assure you stay on the route you want just make sure you add more waypoints than necessary.

Dennis

Eck, I too use Tyre. When it installs the setup defaults to Tom Tom gps. In the settings you can change it to Garmin. Once I became familiar with the Tyre interface I really like it. To assure you stay on the route you want just make sure you add more waypoints than necessary.

Hey Dennis

Thanks for the info. So this is what I did BEFORE I read your post...

I removed Tyre for travel entirely from my system and deleted the desktop icon.

After reading your post, I thought what the hey, I will download Tyre again and start over..NOT..........

Every time I try to download TYRE (free basic), I get one pop up after the other (continually) that says: Access Denied.. (screen print pic below).

There are so many pop ups that continually appear one after the other, I have no choice but to hit ctrl/delete and go to task manager to stop it....It worked fine yesterday.

I should never have deleted the files from my computer..foo-weee..:bawling:

Sample pic of pop up's:

Can't help you there Eck.

Yea, didn't think you could. I have been trying all day to get Tyre downloaded.. stll cant get it.. I emailed info@tyretotravel.com in hopes I can get help. Just waiting for an answer but being Sunday I don't expect one soon...........

I'll get it........determination....:backinmyday:

If you are on a PC...go in and see if you can still "uninstall" the program. if Yes, then try to isntall again. If same problem.... then your problem is deleting the Tyre program without uninstalling... left parts of the program still in the registry....preventing you from re-installing.

This is usually the problem.

Find and download CCleaner. "Crap" Cleaner is a free program that helps clean out left over program material from an uninstall or a delete. And it helps clean the registry. When you download it, if given a choice, only download from the Piriform website. And do not allow the download to install any toobars. They won't hurt you but are not needed.

When you run trhe program, you will first "analyze", then, "Run Cleaner". When that's done,

choose the 2nd tab down on left... under the "Cleaner" tab...is "Registry" tab. Choose that.

"Scan for issues" (the registery), then have it "fix" whatever it found.. after you let it backup the registry.

BTW, please let it run with it's own defaults. It has never hurt any data I've wanted to keep...just press the buttons I suggested to get it to do it's own thing...

When done with these two things, close CCleaner and try and download and install the latest version of Tyre. Hopefully that will cure your issues. If not, then the program people who hopefully will respond tomorrow will tell you how to manually clean up the deletion.

You may have to reboot the computer if this initial CCleaner clean out doesn't work. I've never had to, but that is a common thing to do to help clean out junk in memory (for example).

Hope this helps...

david

Apparently the new version of Google Maps no longer supports the send to GPS function. Mapquest still does but there is a trick.. Try this..

1) Plug your nuvi in to the computer and go to www.mapquest.com.

2) Click on Get Directions. Put in your starting address as point A and your final destination as point B. Click Get Directions and Mapquest will calculate a default route and show it on the map with a blue line.

3) Add shaping points. This is basically done with "rubber banding" the blue route line. Zoom in on an area where you want to shape the route, grab the blue line, drag it to a road segment you want your route to pass through, and drop it on the road. This will put a red dot at this point and redraw the blue route line through it. Do this with each desired shaping point until the route is the way you want it.

4) Change the shaping points to "Stops". For each red dot on your route, right click on it and select "Make it a route stop" on the Mapquest pop-up menu. This step turns the shaping points into via's that will be recognized by the nuvi.

5) Send the route to the nuvi. On the Mapquest menu select Send > Garmin GPS > Route. Enter a file name for the .GPX file, select your nuvi and press Send.

6) Import route. Safely remove your nuvi from the computer, boot it up. On newer nuvi's with Trip Planner, wait a few minutes and your transferred route should be recognized automatically and show up as a trip in the Trip menu. On older nuvi's with Custom Routes, go to Tools > My Data > Import route from file. Select the file you sent from Mapquest, let it calculate and save it.

Let me know how you make out

Find and download CCleaner. ........... DONE

When you run trhe program, you will first "analyze", then, "Run Cleaner". When that's done,

choose the 2nd tab down on left... under the "Cleaner" tab...is "Registry" tab. Choose that.

"Scan for issues" (the registery), then have it "fix" whatever it found.. after you let it backup the registry.................DONE.............

When done with these two things, close CCleaner and try and download and install the latest version of Tyre. You may have to reboot the computer ..

Reboot was done and then a new download of TYRE was performed,, ended up with same issue of pop ups appearing one after the other...task manager used to close system

David,

Many thanks for trying to help me. :thumbsup2:

Apparently the new version of Google Maps no longer supports the send to GPS function. Mapquest still does but there is a trick.. Try this..

1) Plug your nuvi in to the computer and go to www.mapquest.com.

2) Click on Get Directions. Put in your starting address as point A and your final destination as point B. Click Get Directions and Mapquest will calculate a default route and show it on the map with a blue line.

3) Add shaping points. This is basically done with "rubber banding" the blue route line. Zoom in on an area where you want to shape the route, grab the blue line, drag it to a road segment you want your route to pass through, and drop it on the road. This will put a red dot at this point and redraw the blue route line through it. Do this with each desired shaping point until the route is the way you want it.

4) Change the shaping points to "Stops". For each red dot on your route, right click on it and select "Make it a route stop" on the Mapquest pop-up menu. This step turns the shaping points into via's that will be recognized by the nuvi.

5) Send the route to the nuvi. On the Mapquest menu select Send > Garmin GPS > Route. Enter a file name for the .GPX file, select your nuvi and press Send.

6) Import route. Safely remove your nuvi from the computer, boot it up. On newer nuvi's with Trip Planner, wait a few minutes and your transferred route should be recognized automatically and show up as a trip in the Trip menu. On older nuvi's with Custom Routes, go to Tools > My Data > Import route from file. Select the file you sent from Mapquest, let it calculate and save it.

Let me know how you make out

Instructions 1 thru 4 I am well aware of and have done many times. But I did it again except I had no reason to click and drag the blue line for the route mapquest created is the route I wanted. Next I did step 5 (done this several times yesterday).

Instruction 6 is where I have a problem...when I go to tools.my data, I can NOT import from file. I do not have that choice.. I will be trying our newer Garmin GOS later tonight or tomorrow...the one old Garmin off my bike just wont do it. Maybe the newer one will. I will post more tomorrow....thanks a bunch for trying to help me...!!! :thumbsup2:

I too use the Harley Ride planner, and download to my Zumo. It has always worked well for me.

Steve,

Any chance you could take a ride to my house one day this coming week and maybe walk me thru this if I cant figure it out?

Edited by Eck

How about tomorrow around 2pm....
\\

NEVER MIND STEVE...I GOT IT............

I can download routes directly from MapQuest to our NEW GPS................:cool10:

But hey, if you want to come over anyway come on over....:thumbsup2: