IGNORED

stopping 2up on 2nd gen- new thread

VentureFar

Never rode one Jack,,, hmmmmmmm,, sounds like I better go find a used one in a shop somewhere and "test" ride it :stirthepot:

I could do all that stuff on my 1stGen...not as good as you of course :).., but these 2ndGens have me befuddled on low speed handling. The sooner I can get one up above 10 knots the better... And did I ever say how much I hated gravel.... :whistling:

I could do all that stuff on my 1stGen...not as good as you of course :).., but these 2ndGens have me befuddled on low speed handling. The sooner I can get one up above 10 knots the better... And did I ever say how much I hated gravel.... :whistling:

Tippy and I LOVE test riding the new bikes.. When the area shops have Demo Days, you will usually find us on whatever, doing our thing just for kicks.. Something that Tip always seems to come back with is how she feels like she is sitting to high - she doesnt like the "feel" of being way up in the air - she likes being tucked behind me.. I have noticed thru the years of design change in motorcycles with the bike manufacturers trying to copy Harley (not picking on Harley - they are beautiful) that it seems like this high riding position is the "norm"..

Having never ridden a 2nd Gen, I wonder if this higher sitting position while lowering the sitting position of the driver is where some of that befuddlement is found??

I sure wish Yamaha would release a bunch of those left over brand new 1st gens,,, I would LOVE to test ride one all the way home:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Sorry Puc but I have to go with Jack here. I can do all that on a 1st gen but this damn 2nd Gen is another beast.

Ohhhh,, sneekin up on me eay:stickpoke:

We should both be down at Asheville ya know!!:depressed:

I have NO DOUBT you and Jack are right on the money here Dan. Wonder if anything can be done suspention wise or other can be done to bring the 2nd Gens more into the realm of the better handling old style 1st Gens... I wonder if forward controls plays into this,, hmmmmmm

Concur with others... I'm not sure I could that with my 1st gen or not as I didn't have it long enough. Even though I have over 110k miles riding my RSV, not real sure I could do that. I have done plenty of gravel road riding and even riding on grass... but those sharp turns at that speed on wet grass... makes me almost want to give a try. OK... maybe not.. :rotf:

One of the first things I noticed when I went from my 1st gen to 2nd gen was how much more top heavy the 2nd gen seemed. All in all, I find the 2nd gen to be a more comfortable bike, but the 1st gen felt way more nimble and more powerful.

I use a technique I used for years both trials riding and woods riding. It involves using the gyro effect of the engine, clutch - throttle and brake control.. While I do use my front brake for most stopping - I use my rear brake usually in preparing for completing the stop..

Neil, here is a little video Tip and I just went out and made for you to help me explain what I am talking about.. Like explained in the video text, I am certainly NO expert when it comes to riding techniques - I just use little tricks I have learned thru the years to survive out there in the jungle..

I hope this helps somehow my good friend!!

Puc

Now a question for you,,, HOW ON EARTH DID YOU GET THE ROPE IN THAT WHIP SO PERFECTLY SHAPED - man is that a GORGEOUS contraption!!!:cool10:

Puc,

I have to hand it to you. Your slow riding on your 1000 pound 1st gen is the same as my slow riding on my 265 pound xr250. Wow that is some impressive bike control - and on grass too! I know you re-read some of the thread but I am quite comfortable snail pace riding sandwiched between a van and a semi tractor at 1-5 mph on the 101 freeway at rush hour, but it is that very last ........stop...left foot down - that gets my heart pumping. If using the rear brake the bike doesn't have to be going exactly straight to stop with relatively no lean angle to it but if using the front brake only at the very end, then any wiggle waggle from straight forward seems embellished in terms of how the bike feels tippy. No disrespect to that wonderful wife of yours that is even willing to hop on for impromptu how to videos! - As you are hearing, the 2nd gen is not as stable - I guess that reads as - low center of gravity - as the 1st gen and from what you guys brag about, not as fast either.......:stirthepot:

( as to the back off whip, I just follow the instructions on the youtube video )

VentureFar...

PS - to PUC -- waiving in your direction from 8 hours close.:bighug:

Having never ridden a 2nd Gen, I wonder if this higher sitting position while lowering the sitting position of the driver is where some of that befuddlement is found??

I sure wish Yamaha would release a bunch of those left over brand new 1st gens,,

That would be cool...Huh?? I think it's really two things. The high center of gravity due to the tank position AND the fork mounted fairing... Even though the 1st's sit higher they're still more manageable..

Ohhhh,, sneekin up on me eay:stickpoke:

We should both be down at Asheville ya know!!:depressed:

I have NO DOUBT you and Jack are right on the money here Dan. Wonder if anything can be done suspention wise?

I don't know if'n it'll help but I ordered a pair of Progressives for Seven of Nine. I'll know once I get them installed. Put a set in my first 1stGen and it was awesome....but then again it was a 1gen to begin with....

One of the first things I noticed when I went from my 1st gen to 2nd gen was how much more top heavy the 2nd gen seemed. All in all, I find the 2nd gen to be a more comfortable bike, but the 1st gen felt way more nimble and more powerful.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.. When I got the '99 I nicknamed her

'Miss Piggy'.

http://www.cast-aways.com/QUICKY/misspiggy.jpg

Having never ridden a 2nd Gen I really am not the person to explain how to ride one Neil and am certainly in NO position to say what I think may or may not help.. BUT (you knew that was coming didnt cha:rotf:) because I really really admire you (love ya brother) I am gonna stick my neck out there again..

I have ridden many many other brands of bikes (Harleys, Honda's, Victory's, the new Indians, old Indians etc. etc.) and have found them all very responsive to using the engine dynamics (gyro effect) in the same manner as my 1st Gen..

That said, I was just out playing a little more on Tweeks trying to remember what my exact habits for stopping are (its terrible when your a geezer and ride by habit and really cant think thru exactly how you do something - weird eay)..

When coming to a stop sign with full intent of putting my feet down (most times I just stop with my feet up and go - I actually had to think about that when doing this testing), I find myself controlling my front brake with my pointer finger and still have very good control of my throttle. I, again by habit - never really even thought about this - will gently bump the motor while I am applying the front brake as I am putting my foot/feet down.. I fought with my brain to NOT do this just for you and guess what I found out!! Yep,, a total loss of confidence and that "feel" you speak of was overwhelming as I was handling the weight of the bike with Tippy on it all thru use of body strength - the added gyro effect of the motor is amazing.. I also played with doing this and not doing this while stopping with my feet up laying across the forward pegs (my normal riding position) I have on my crash bars to emulate forward controls and had the same outcome (I was curious to see whether or not the forward controls on the 2nd Gens may be part of the issue of which you guys speak).. I noticed no difference to speak of in outcome..

I was tempted to go downstairs and grab a couple 40 pound bags of softner salt and toss em over my trunk to add some top heaviness but got lazy and didnt pursue it. Maybe for kicks I will do so when it STOPS raining here, make another video with the added weight - even if it didnt work out I think it would make a GREAT video (an ol geezer with a gorgeous young lady on his bike with a tent on the back and a pile of water softner salt stacked on the trunk:rotf:)..

Just out of curiousity, Tip and I are gonna try to find a dealer in our area that has a 2nd Gen and see if we can get a test ride. I would LOVE to be able to chat knowledgeably about this stuff with my good friends (and brothers like you)!!

Oh yea,, just ran outside and did a hearty :15_8_211[1]: right back at cha Neil!!! Hey,, you getting wet there? I heard rumors that the whole east coast is gettin nailed big time,, again:confused24:

Hope all our VR family are ok out there:bighug:

Puc

I'm not sure what you mean by "my left knee is exactly at the extended/ flex position", but here is what I've found with my 1st gen:

Passenger, even a small one, makes a big difference when stopping, if the bike is even a little off balance you've got a lot of weight to fight. I practice my friction zone/low speed stuff so I can completely avoid some stops (coming up to a light that has changed but traffic still isn't moving). When I do have to come to a full stop I try to brake with a little bit of authority rather than coasting into it. I find that by doing that things don't seem to have time to get out of balance.

this describes how I handle things too.

I use a technique I used for years both trials riding and woods riding. It involves using the gyro effect of the engine, clutch - throttle and brake control.. While I do use my front brake for most stopping - I use my rear brake usually in preparing for completing the stop..

Neil, here is a little video Tip and I just went out and made for you to help me explain what I am talking about.. Like explained in the video text, I am certainly NO expert when it comes to riding techniques - I just use little tricks I have learned thru the years to survive out there in the jungle..

I hope this helps somehow my good friend!!

Puc

Now a question for you,,, HOW ON EARTH DID YOU GET THE ROPE IN THAT WHIP SO PERFECTLY SHAPED - man is that a GORGEOUS contraption!!!:cool10:

Well sure, on wet grass. How do you do when it's dry?:stickpoke:

Puc --Raining hard in Rochester. Inside anyway so doesn't affect me but I pitty those daily motorcycle commuters around here.

I appreciate the extra effort on helping with a solution to what shouldn't be a problem in the first place. Stopping. Should be as comfortable as going.

I hadn't thought about using some throttle while stopping AND using the front brake. Come to think about it, I had occasion to do it on my dirt bike on tight switchbacks but for a whole different reason- but the idea is the same. I wouldn't suggest it for everyone for safety reasons - most are taught roll off the throttle and then Pull on the front brake. I will try it next time my Tippy is on board. I honestly can't define if my issue is the transition from feet up at a decelerating .001 mph to full stop to feet/ foot down or the timing of taking my feet/ foot from the pad to the ground at that moment. Going to be observant as possible next time.

Hope this helps many.

VentureFar...

Edited by VentureFar