IGNORED

stopping 2up on 2nd gen- new thread

VentureFar

Sorry I couldn't find the original thread where I spoke about being very comfortable coming to a stop solo but two up always so uncomfortable. So I started this one.

I know the correct way to stop two up is using the rear brake to come to a complete stop and Left foot down. My legs are strong ( I play Ice Hockey) but when I do that my left knee is exactly at the extended/ flex position so when I do stop with only my left foot down I am very concerned about dropping it on that side. If I stop with front brake only ( last foot or so) I can put both feet down simultaneously and so I feel stable, but stopping with front brake only doesn't have the control so I am always rushed to put both feet down so that is uncomfortable.

SO - I have been strict with my self two up and practicing rear brake to stop only with left foot down, then right. It is not habit yet by any means but it is what I do when two up. Maybe my inseam/leg length is just the exact wrong length for putting my left foot down and have my knee feel stable. What ever it is, I am motivated to always stop the right way every time.

Anyone else have this issue and if so, how do you handle it?

VentureFar...

I dropped it thats how I handled it !!!

Then I realized I need to put my feet down wow what big difference being married for so long I tired putting my foot down with Peg once and that dint turn out too good either lol

Ok I come to a slow stop using my left leg to balance bike all is good but there are times I stop to quick and I get off balance real quick that's when my butt pucker kicks in there's times I scare Peg so bad that she has to be pealed off the seat

I did a no no one time I was day dreaming and came up on a red light and hit the brakes hard the bike did great but I slide and did the famous tank slap needles to say that cured my day dreaming

I dropped it thats how I handled it !!!

Then I realized I need to put my feet down wow what big difference being married for so long I tired putting my foot down with Peg once and that dint turn out too good either lol

Ok I come to a slow stop using my left leg to balance bike all is good but there are times I stop to quick and I get off balance real quick that's when my butt pucker kicks in there's times I scare Peg so bad that she has to be pealed off the seat

I did a no no one time I was day dreaming and came up on a red light and hit the brakes hard the bike did great but I slide and did the famous tank slap needles to say that cured my day dreaming

Ok about all that - and Peg still rides with you? Good on ya!

What do you do on NORMAL, calm, not day dreaming stops with Peg on board?

VentureFar...

OK

When coming to a stop I use the rear brake slightly more than front due to fact I come up on oil antifreeze trans fluid etc so my front brake doesn't slide on me course I avoid it best I can antifreeze is worse than motor oil I always use my left leg to balance the bike so by the time I come to a stop my leg is already there ready to handle the weight then my right leg right behind it to help balance

There are times that I get to comfy or over confident and the bike will let me know In a heart beat don't do that course I dropped my bike numerous times in the past no damage done as I was not moving did couple times with Peg because I was not giving myself time to balance myself

Biggest thing I noticed with this Venture is come to a sloooow and steady stop give yourself plenty of time to balance your weight ! This is no Gold Wing !

I'm not sure what you mean by "my left knee is exactly at the extended/ flex position", but here is what I've found with my 1st gen:

Passenger, even a small one, makes a big difference when stopping, if the bike is even a little off balance you've got a lot of weight to fight. I practice my friction zone/low speed stuff so I can completely avoid some stops (coming up to a light that has changed but traffic still isn't moving). When I do have to come to a full stop I try to brake with a little bit of authority rather than coasting into it. I find that by doing that things don't seem to have time to get out of balance.

Coming to a stop, I use both brakes and just before coming to a full stop I use front only and put my feet down. I do pay attention to the road surface (gravel, wet, spills, angle of pavement) before I stop.

+1

If you wait till you get down to 1 or 2 mph and then using front brake only, you have the option of being able to use both legs.

Would never recommend routinely using either leg as it will eventually get you into trouble based upon what's under it...

Coming to a stop, I use both brakes and just before coming to a full stop I use front only and put my feet down. I do pay attention to the road surface (gravel, wet, spills, angle of pavement) before I stop.

This is what I do as well BUT I have noticed that if I pay attention to where I am going or keep focused ahead things work well and when I start looking to see if something is coming to maybe avoid stopping then I get in trouble.. I'm learning to commit to the stop THEN look and all is good.. Where it is the very worst is if I THINK I can make a turn without stopping and then something is coming and I have to stop mid turn then I really come close to losing it.. I'm really trying not to do that any more..

This is what I do as well BUT I have noticed that if I pay attention to where I am going or keep focused ahead things work well and when I start looking to see if something is coming to maybe avoid stopping then I get in trouble.. I'm learning to commit to the stop THEN look and all is good.. Where it is the very worst is if I THINK I can make a turn without stopping and then something is coming and I have to stop mid turn then I really come close to losing it.. I'm really trying not to do that any more..
Yes, pretty much that. They say when riding you should look where you want to go so looking down is not a very good thing.

Committing to the stop before looking left and right is by far the safest method. Having to come to a quick stop in the middle of a turn is courting disaster mostly because the momentum vector does not follow the same trajectory as the direction of the bike, it's a bit behind it. Which make it sideways.

Interesting, of course, I do almost the opposite. Use the front brake only to slow to a crawl then apply the back brake until stopped then apply the front again. I prefer to put only my left leg down but depending on the road surface having the right foot available can be necessary. This heavy bike is made even heavier with a passenger but a balanced bike takes little effort to hold up. While sitting at a stop I can feel the balance shifting left and right and will occasionally need to put my right foot down. That's a failed stop. You get demerits for any uncontrolled actions. It's a game, you know. Dropping the bike goes far beyond just demerits.

...Where it is the very worst is if I THINK I can make a turn without stopping and then something is coming and I have to stop mid turn then I really come close to losing it.. I'm really trying not to do that any more..

If the view is obstructed at all I always come to a full stop. Obstructed meaning I can't see far enough down the road in either direction to safely go.

Thought you had to watch surface conditions for low spots when you park/stop?

I watch for the crown in the center. You know, where all the pavement is pushed towards the center of the lane. I try to never be in the center, it higher and too much crap (oil, anti-freeze, water from AC) Mostly I try to slow up coming up to the stop so I can sort of coast. I think I use the rear a bit more as I dont feel the fronts have the grip power my 90 vulcan had so I'm cautious.

I use both and tend to use front more than rear. This has gotten me in trouble more than once. I need to make a habit of using rear more when possible. The drop I had at McDonald's on the way to B2Dads this spring was wet sandy pavement in a tight right turn using front. On my bad leg. A FNG knows better!!

Anyone else have this issue and if so, how do you handle it?

VentureFar...

I have that same problem riding one up... which is actually like most riding two up... :) So I don't use the rear brake a whole lot. When I do it's for fast stops, and then I finish off with the front brakes landing on 2 feet. Otherwise I ain't gonna stay upright... With my left knee bent it just won't work.

PS: I just thought about it a bit more, and with my weight and the bike's wet weight combined it's a little over 1200 lbs that I need to keep balanced, so my center of balance isn't very forgiving...

Well when I 1st got my old bike I dumped my wife and me twice in about 1 mile...first time crossing the median, it had a big slope, I hit it an an angle put my foot down and it keppt on going.. wife was all in my ear so i made a wrong tirn went to do a U turn pants leg hung the heel shifter and I dropped us again..needless to say that was an unpleasant trip...I said all that to say this, it depends on where and how I stop...on flat ground I use rear & front break 1 foot down... on incline I use front break both feet... like others gravel, wet spots also plays into it.. and yes my wife still rides with me....

Coming to a stop, I use both brakes and just before coming to a full stop I use front brake only and put my feet down. I do pay attention to the road surface (gravel, wet, spills, angle of pavement) before I stop.

I do the same. By the time I use front brake only and put both feet down I am pretty much stopped anyway. Both feet stay on the pegs balancing the bike until pretty much the last second. I find trying to put one foot down too early while still braking with the other tends to upset my balance.

Well it sounds like from all the responses that I am not alone with feeling "uncomfortable" at full stops two up. Maybe uncomfortable is too strong of a word. Maybe "hyper aware of my balance point" ?

My wife knows not to wiggle as we are stopped or coming to a stop but that much weight up that high sure changes the way the bike feels at the stopping moment.

About my left knee- just to try to explain.

I have 1200 leaning on it and so if I try to switch from full extension lock to slightly bent I get a lock bend lock bend lock bend thing happen in very quick succession - so I put my right foot down at that moment and the balance point goes to center from a smidge left and all is right with the world.

But doesn't it look cool to only have your left foot down at a light, two up, on a full dresser?

I want to look cool ....

Wings do it, ultra classics do it.

VentureFar...

Ditto.

I never have given it too much analytical thought. I just do it the above way.

I use both brakes until almost stopped, then switch to front brake for the final stop and put down both feet together. You know you are doing it right when you put your feet down and they plant immediately. If you are doing multiple touches before you stop... you are putting feet down too soon.

The key here is being able to balance the bike at a mere crawl with both feet on the boards. I see soooo many riders either stopping or pulling out with their legs dangling. As long as that bike has ANY forward momentum, regardless of how slow, both feet should stay on the board/pegs.

The best practice you can do is get in a parking lot and practice how slow you can go without stopping and with feet completely on boards. When I take my foot off of the rear brake and put down my feet down, I am barely moving so chances front brake only causing me issues is minimal. But... that risk is always there so be ready.

Anyway, that is what works for me. YMMV

Venturous,

I agree completely.

In my case I am very good at very slow speed riding - I live in los Angeles and if I am not lane splitting - ha there is a whole new thread for the other 49 states to talk about - I have to crawl. Feet up. In fact, at a very wide open 4 way stop - where I can see for a very long way - like in the flat desert ( as example) I can make a full stop right turn and never put my feet down. Bring the bike to a STOP the wheels and GO. It is just the tippy feeling when I do come to a complete stop that bothers me. Now that I know I am not alone in this " feeling" I will just forgetaboutit!

Thanks all

VentureFar...

I use a technique I used for years both trials riding and woods riding. It involves using the gyro effect of the engine, clutch - throttle and brake control.. While I do use my front brake for most stopping - I use my rear brake usually in preparing for completing the stop..

Neil, here is a little video Tip and I just went out and made for you to help me explain what I am talking about.. Like explained in the video text, I am certainly NO expert when it comes to riding techniques - I just use little tricks I have learned thru the years to survive out there in the jungle..

I hope this helps somehow my good friend!!

Puc

Now a question for you,,, HOW ON EARTH DID YOU GET THE ROPE IN THAT WHIP SO PERFECTLY SHAPED - man is that a GORGEOUS contraption!!!:cool10:

Venturous,

I agree completely.

In my case I am very good at very slow speed riding - I live in los Angeles and if I am not lane splitting - ha there is a whole new thread for the other 49 states to talk about - I have to crawl. Feet up. In fact, at a very wide open 4 way stop - where I can see for a very long way - like in the flat desert ( as example) I can make a full stop right turn and never put my feet down. Bring the bike to a STOP the wheels and GO. It is just the tippy feeling when I do come to a complete stop that bothers me. Now that I know I am not alone in this " feeling" I will just forgetaboutit!

Thanks all

VentureFar...

Oopppss, :rotf:... I didnt see this before I posted that video up Neil.. Sounds like ya got a GOOD handle on the slow speed riding brother.. Gotta agree with ya on that tippy feeling brother, you are definitely NOT alone!!!

I use a technique I used for years both trials riding and woods riding. It involves using the gyro effect of the engine, clutch - throttle and brake control.. While I do use my front brake for most stopping - I use my rear brake usually in preparing for completing the stop..

Neil, here is a little video Tip and I just went out and made for you to help me explain what I am talking about.. Like explained in the video text, I am certainly NO expert when it comes to riding techniques - I just use little tricks I have learned thru the years to survive out there in the jungle..

I hope this helps somehow my good friend!!

Puc

Now a question for you,,, HOW ON EARTH DID YOU GET THE ROPE IN THAT WHIP SO PERFECTLY SHAPED - man is that a GORGEOUS contraption!!!:cool10:

Great video Puc. Now I want to see you do that on a 2-gen.... :backinmyday: