IGNORED

Winch

GolfVenture

So I'm looking for a winch so I can slide it into the receiver of my truck. And also to built a mount on my tractor trailer tongue to winch vehicles up. Some of my other use is to pull some stumps out. With the use of a pully, help guide trees down after I knotch the base. Then to winch the down tree close to where I can saw them up. With the use of a small Kubota back hoe to dig up some stumps partially then to winch them out.

I've been looking at used WARN winches in craigslist. At the same time I've seem a few other brands. Then the WARN company has a 12,000 lbs for $680.00. Then there are also other brands including Harbor Frieght for $300.00 with a 25% coupon.

Are Harbor Freight that bad of a winch and WARN that good.

I do not know much about a winch, except for a couple of years my neighbor had a large winch and we fell and winched two years of firewood so I know something about a winch but not alot.

So what do you think about this 12,000 WARN winch for $680.00 Part Number: WAR86260

Rated Line Pull: = 12000 lbs.

Voltage: = 12V DC Series Wound

Remote Control: = Remote switch, 12 ft. lead

Geartrain:= 3-stage Planetary

Geartrain:= 3-stage Planetary

Gear Ratio: = 216:1

Size: = 21.83 in. x 6.3 in. x 6.97 in

Weight: = 89 lbs.

Wire Rope = 80 ft. of 3/8

Fairlead = Roller

Type of Winch: = Electric

Harbor Freight $300.00 using a 25% coupon

Automatic load-holding brake for maximum safety

Three-stage planetary gear system for fast line speed

Series-wound motor stays cooler during long winch pulls

Freespooling for fast line-out

Cable tensioner to prevent cable tangling

12 ft. ergonomic handheld remote control

Roller fairlead with nylon bushing

Aircraft grade wire rope

GV, you didnt give a stated capacity on the Harbor Freight model. Is it 12,000 pound too? Personally, I would go with the Harbor Freight model if it compares even closely and than, if I were gonna really use the thing I would grab an extended warranty on it - Harbor has always treated me good on their warrantys.

Another reason why is I would want to KNOW that the Warn Winch is still being produced in the U.S. before I would lay out twice the money.. I am getting pretty tired of paying the big dollar for stuff just to find out that I paid for U.S. quality and, even though it says "Made in the US" on the box - its actually Chinese..

(I just got bit on a garage door opener on that,, arggggg)

Another thing to pay attention to.

Many 2" receiver hitches are only rated to 9,000 lbs pull for winching.

I have also been looking at getting a winch for similar applications.

All of the reports that I have read on the warn vs the hf are that the warn pulls line a little faster than the hf. the various off road mags rate the hf as a good value. If you are going to be using the winch very often the warn MAY last longer.

Because the receivers on my truck are rated 9,000 max for winching, I have been torn as to whether to get the HF 9,000 or the HF 12,000. For the once every couple of years that I will actually need it it, the HF should last me forever.

I was planning to mount the winch to a receiver mount and then add a battery tray to that receiver mount so that I can move the winch to the front or rear of the truck and not have to install monster battery cables that will always be getting mud in the connectors. I will have a big deep cycle battery to run the winch. You can destroy a stock alternator running the winch off of the truck battery.

I would not use the winch for felling the tree, they are not fast enough.

I do have one tree that needs to come down before winter, It is very dead. It is leaning in the wrong direction for where it needs to be dropped. the tree is about 70 feet tall, I will use 150 feet of cable to attach it to the truck to make sure it goes in the right direction. It will not land on the truck. But I really do not want it to land on the house, if it falls north, or the well head if it falls east, or the electrical box if it heads south, it has to go west, it is leaning east. All of the notching in the world will not overcome gravity, a big 4x4 can. A big enough cherry picker or hiring a pro is not in the budget.

Edited by Flyinfool

I have cut many trees and would never use my truck or tractor to make a tree fall in any direction. Too many :mo money: raped up in them to let a tree crush them.

Before we knew better my friend wanted to cut a "BIG" oak down but didn't want it to hit the fence tied a cable to the tree I cut through enough to start it moving Said "GO!" he let the clutch out killed the motor but not before he got it moving and then backwards it snapped and lifted the truck right off the ground in a heart beat. No damage or injury but an eye opener . Leave about 8' of tree trunk up dig/grub around roots and use that as a lever and they come right out .It's hard to just pull or winch low stumps out .

I've had a few warn's never let me down, dont know about the HF units. For power cables go to a few welding shops and ask if they have some old arc welder cables to run from front to back of truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

I have the HF 12,000 lb. winch for 5 years and am happy with it.

Bought a receiver at HF and bolted to the tongue of my 18' trailer.

Also bought a receiver plate at HF and bolted to winch, that way it is a quick disconnect and can be ued on a variety of vehicles. top left:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=reciever+plate+harbor+freight&id=F03AD397F17D8F2B7DB1B70071559477C30985A0&FORM=IQFRBA

Winched my 1 ton with no problems. Cat converter went bad and burnt wiring above it up.

also bought a couple 2" standard recievers and welded to front and back of bulldozer.

By using a snatch block and cable, you can double the pulling power and be out of the direct path. Be very careful with cables....

Just in case you need it I just got this $200 off coupon for the HF 12,000lb winch in my email today.

Thanks! I got the coupon also.

I'm going to pick one up this weekend and by the insurance also for I will definately be putting it to the test for I have several small trees to fall and stumps to pull.