IGNORED

not bike related...... camping gear

Snaggletooth

Had an unfriendly camp neighbor apparenty. Came back to camp site today to find my tent and sleeping pad had been sprayed with what appears to be lighting fluid. Been flushing it out with soapy water and trying to dry it in the sun. Its already effected the sealing tape on the ground cover.

Any suggestions on how to neutralize the fluid to avoid any damage?

This chaps my hide as this is a new Alps Lynx and new self inflating pad. Talked with the rangers and they were helpful but not much they can do. Looks like a night under the stars until the fumes clear out.

Oh goody .look. lightening.

Geesh.

Any suggestions?

Other than dont smoke in there.lol.:7_6_3[1]:

And people ask me why I would rather camp in the boonies or beyond a hay bale,, sheesh Snag,, thats terrible..

WHere ya at Snag,, any where near the Michigan west coast? I gotta a spare tent I will give ya and can probably dig up some foam rubber like we use in our bikin tent.. Also gotta spare bedroom here at the house your welcome to and we could deal with it all in the daylight..

Man THAT is a bummer,,, hope they catch the rotten sucker(s) who did such a thing and squirt some lighter fluid on their,, never mind..

Wonder if taking it all into the shower room and soaking it all down really really good,, maybe even some shampoo scrubbing and than rinsing real good with hot water would slow down the delamination.. Then let it sun dry or, catch the guy who did it and make him blow on it all till it dried!! Might be worth a try..

Front doors open!

Puc

Hey ya puc. Hell ive been living in the boonies for the last year. For the last two weeks ive been visiting the different state parks in eastern and southern nebraska on my bike pulling the trailer. Ya know. Hanging out with civilization. So they call it.

I was headed back up towards omaha to hit the storage locker and repack for the next leg where ever that may turn out to be.

Since I posted that the ranger stopped by with a couple other campers. A couple of retired marines. They not be happy with what happened. They bought some more water and helped flush it out again and got it hanging to dry. Looks like its gonna get another rinse cycle tonight. Have the rain fly over the picnic table and an offer of bunk with the jarhead bunch if it turns nasty.

Its nice to know I got the corps at my back. Semper fi guys.

Ive had a good trip and all I can figure is I got a spot somebody else wanted. Never had a problem at a campground in all my travels.

Just hope the equipment survives.

A product in a blue can with a trigger nozzle. Its a dry cleaning type agent sold anywhere car cleaning products are sold. I think its a spot remover. I think it will work. Spray it on and damp dry with a towel. It will certainly nutrelize it. And kill the smell. I think Blue Coral makes it. It will be by the carpet cleaner.

Hey ya puc. Hell ive been living in the boonies for the last year. For the last two weeks ive been visiting the different state parks in eastern and southern nebraska on my bike pulling the trailer. Ya know. Hanging out with civilization. So they call it.

I was headed back up towards omaha to hit the storage locker and repack for the next leg where ever that may turn out to be.

Since I posted that the ranger stopped by with a couple other campers. A couple of retired marines. They not be happy with what happened. They bought some more water and helped flush it out again and got it hanging to dry. Looks like its gonna get another rinse cycle tonight. Have the rain fly over the picnic table and an offer of bunk with the jarhead bunch if it turns nasty.

Its nice to know I got the corps at my back. Semper fi guys.

Ive had a good trip and all I can figure is I got a spot somebody else wanted. Never had a problem at a campground in all my travels.

Just hope the equipment survives.

WOE,,, WAY WAY COOL!!! The journey Snag,, not this little episode in the park bro,,, THAT is bummer!! THANK THE GOOD LORD FOR THEM MARINES - GOTTA LOVE EM!! Sounds like your having a really really super time in spite of this one incident,, good on ya!! To bad those jarheads didnt catch the culprits in the act eay :stickpoke:

Try to stay dry somehow and hopefully the stuff will recover with minimal damage!! Good to hear your ok,, and good luck on the next leg of what sounds like an epic journey!! Buy the way,, if your travels take you up into Montana (you probably already been there) keep this in mind,, Grizzlies dont usually carry lighter fluid so you should be ok!!

RIDE SAFE and with the wind at your back!!

Puc

try soaking it in warm water and baking soda.

now your going to laugh at me but after working as a carpet cleaner and janitor for many years.

here is a tip

shaving cream. yes shaving cream

buy a few cheap cans and rub it in .

this will act like a cheap dry cleaning agent

let it set in and dry in the sun.

then a gentle wipe down

with plain warm water let it dry again

yes it will smell like you shaved for a day or so

but it is way better then lighter fluid smell

Yeah puc. My epic journey started many years ago. Part of that was a great deal of time spent in the bitterroot valley south of Missoula, mt. Should have made that my homebase instead of coming back to nebraska.

This last year has been an adventure in itself. Many life changes. The last one was about a month or so ago I found myself strapped to a bed in an ICU . Thats a wake up call that you still have things to do. Time to get out for a while.

I have a special bond with a my oldest friend I grew up with. We were both very different people but always stuck together. He joined the corp right after high school and stayed in over 20 some years. One night he annouced I was an honorary jarhead. I asked why and he reminded me of a brawl in a bar back in the '80. Yeah, sure. So what?

"I wasn't winning until you jumped in". So I got the title anyway.

So onward and forward right?

After the big flush and washdown last night and hanging it from a tree to dry there is only a minor looking oily stain on the flooring . The smell of lighting fluid still lingers so I'll try the recommended cleaning product

The sealing tape on the ground liner is blistered off where most the fluid damage was. After another cleaning and drying again its off to Canfields for a roll of seam tape to make sure it all stays together.

The sleeping pad has the same oily looling stain on part of it but not seeing any damage. Yet. I added a lil air to it last night and stacked my pack and cooler on top of it. Still fully inflated. I was just hoping the fluid didnt get through the outer covering into the foam filler. This is the first self inflating pad ive owned and grown rather fond of it. Life should return to normal by tonight. Depending on the smell.

The rain bypassed us last night so I didnt have to bunk up with the Marines. That probably would have resulted on much beer drinking and another problem with fumes. Hoorah Marines! Thanks for the field support!

Thanks for all the advice guys. getting back to business and onward to the next leg.

:biker:

Glad you are onward and things going better. But I was so wanting to read the post where you all caught lousy no good vagrants that did that. It takes time to conjurer up an idea to squirt lighter fluid on someones tent. That is a low life coward for sure. Ride safe my friend and I hope you are caring some self defense. So many idiots out there.