IGNORED

OK, stupid question time again ...

darthandy

As I was searching online for prices on air filters for my RSV (Thinking of going K&N), I ran across a Motorcycle Superstore section that said the Royal Star / Tour Deluxe / Venture need two filters. The RSV shop manual only shows one in the section on cleaning it. Have I been cleaning only half my air filters? Is there another one on the other side that I should know about?

Andy

My 07 has two. They are ideally placed to avoid sucking in a lot of forigen material. Mine have 20k mikes on them and of that 10.500 mi are mine. They are like new. The way it is arranged they both deliver air to a central point so you could actually clean one with no harm. Its not like one is dedicated to two cylinders. The two of them deliver air to a central point.

If you are shooting say deep creep in there. You have to aim at the center or soak the filter on the far side. Keep in mind.

There is two on the RSV and TD. I got a set of filters about six years ago to replace my old ones. Took them out and washed them in soapy water and let them air dry for a day or so and they were good to go for the next change. Have not bought filters anymore just lightly wash and dry and go.:cool10:

That's what happens when you just look at pictures and not read.

I was supposed to read? Now they tell me!

:bang head::bang head::bang head:

(Actually, if you go to page 3-29 and 3-30 , Cleaning the Air Filter Element, it only shows an air filter on one side and only talks about one air filter. It may say two elsewhere, but not here which is where I was looking.)

Andy

My advice is don't believe everything you read... especially in shop manuals.

Yeah, tell me about it! I had to tighten a bolt on my Triumph and the factory manual said it needed 89 ft-lb of torque. That seemed very high for a fairly small bolt so I went onto the Triumph forum to ask about it. I was told that I had an early edition manual and that I should look at the revised edition as the bolt in question probably required around 40 ft-lb. I got and checked the revised manual and sure enough, the torque for that bolt was 39 ft-lb.! Don't you love manufacturers and their accuracy.

Andy