IGNORED

Mapping Software recommendations for Garmin GPS?

thecount

Steve:

I make routes all the time and actually really like the software that comes with the Garmin. One of the advantages is that as long as you keep the maps up to date then it won't have to recalculate the route when you import.. the software that I like is called Mapsource.

Wayne

Wayne

My ZUMO 665 did not have software with it, and now seem like Mapsource is not the software as Garmin site indicates BaseCamp.

Then if using MapQuest or other, needs the Garmin plugin "Garmin Communicator" which seems to be a bit of a challenge as it's not "plugin in" to my web browser.

Sorry to sound frustrated. At one time on older Microsoft softwares, it was easy, not, its not so easy.

Thanks

S2

Steve:

I make routes all the time and actually really like the software that comes with the Garmin. One of the advantages is that as long as you keep the maps up to date then it won't have to recalculate the route when you import.. the software that I like is called Mapsource.

Wayne

I have been using the Honda Pwersports Trip Planner and it has worked well. Loading to the GPS is a bit tricky. You have to plug in the GPS so the software will know it's there but then it just puts a GPX file in your file downloads and you have to move it from there to your GPX files in the GPS unit.

Andy

I have been using Harley Davidson ride planner with garmin communicator on xp and win 7 ..does not work with android...easy to use ..set points as locations as waypoints doesn't go the way you want then change locations to waypoints..then save as..the n import to GPS..

For our trip last year I used Microsoft Streets and Trips. Allows you to put in things like :

- bike mpg to calculate gas stops

- time you'll start your daily ride

- time you want to finish your daily ride (+/- 1/2 hr, 1 hr...). You can then get a list of hotels/motels/camp grounds/sites to see near your daily end point. I picked a location and then saved it to the gps as a stop

- average cost per gallon of gas - will calculate your fuel cost for the trip

- points of interest can be set and how much time you expect to spend at each one. This will adjust where you'll stop for the end of the day

- how often you want to stop for a break and how long for each stop

During the ride I also used "Mad Maps" on the gps to indicate points of interest along the route, find restaurants/gas stations/grocery stores/laundomats. When we made better time than estimated or less distance, I did a search on the Zumo 660 for camp grounds/hotels and edited my saved route.

After initally setting a general route (what cities we wanted to go thru) I used Mad Maps and https://roadtrippers.com/ to tell me what is along the route. With roadtrippers you'll duplicate creating your route but then have it tell you where a variety of sites are (attractions, accomodations, food, entertainment, history, nature, shopping, sports, scenic drives).

I also used State/Provincial government tourist sites to select what we wanted to see, punched it into Streets and Trips and had it find the optimum route. Then removed things that were out of the way (eg opposite end of the State).

Hope this more than answers your question !

The Garmin software is Basecamp. BC replaced Mapsource a couple of years ago. The newer versions ('11+ IIRC) of Microsoft Streets and Trips will interact with the Zumo directly, although it is easier to interface with BC.

There are several tutorials on BC on www.zumoforums.com. Link here: http://garmin-mapsource.wikispaces.com/BaseCamp

S&T is much more intuitive. You can export a .gpx file and then import into BC. Further manipulation with BC is available, but you might want to just have it calculate a route and download it to your Zumo.

RR

Edited by RedRider

I am very happy with a FREE program called TYRE. Trace your route everywhere. Much simpler to use than the basecamp or mapsource thing. Give it a try, what have you got to loose?

I'll second the vote for Tyre. It's far easier to use and read from the Garmin as well as write to it.

Dennis