IGNORED

Need to get bike title

Huggy

Check your state DOL for 'contested title' process. In my state, once started, the state issues a license plate with current tabs and registration so it can be legally ridden, then a 3 year wait for title. Bike can still be sold, but the new buyer will need to wait the remainder of the 3 yr. period. The 3 yr. wait gives time limit for the title transfer to be contested by the original title holder, and if they show the bike goes back to them and any improvements made to the bike are lost to them:fingers-crossed-emo

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

It varies quite a bit by state.

Here in Michigan if it's more than six years old and has a value of less than $2,500 it's pretty easy (so long as it hasn't been reported stolen and there isn't a lien against it).

I believe some states are even easier. I know that some are almost impossible.

He needs to check with the DMV in whatever state he intends to title it.

OK he needs to get a title a so he can import it into Canada. The present owner has had it so long they can not find a the ownership. The bike was most likely originally from NY state. It was originally purchased as a project bike. :think:

the current titled owner can request a replacement title. that current titled owner would have to transfer to subsequent owners and each transfer will likley involve a sales tax transaction to the host state at the time of transaction. eventually, the title will catch up to the current seller and once he titles it and clears the sales tax for the transaction, he can sell it to your brother.

if there is a lein listed on the title now, a lein release letter will be needed.

the current titled owner can request a replacement title. that current titled owner would have to transfer to subsequent owners and each transfer will likley involve a sales tax transaction to the host state at the time of transaction. eventually, the title will catch up to the current seller and once he titles it and clears the sales tax for the transaction, he can sell it to your brother.

if there is a lein listed on the title now, a lein release letter will be needed.

Is there any way to do a search to see if it was registered in NY State? :think:

i was using the company ipad with that tap talk and i dont like it said im already banned from here what the heck:confused24: ..... MS has a 2 yr wait once thats up you can apply for a title draw back is you cant sell it

I can't believe it's so hard to get something titled in the US! :bang head: Here in Ontario all you need is a bill of sale and the Vin number and proof you tried to contact the previous owner. :stickpoke: And all you need to find out who the previous owner is the Used Vehicle Sellers Package which lists the complete history of the bike. :whistling:

It varies quite a bit by state.

Here in Michigan if it's more than six years old and has a value of less than $2,500 it's pretty easy (so long as it hasn't been reported stolen and there isn't a lien against it).

I believe some states are even easier. I know that some are almost impossible.

He needs to check with the DMV in whatever state he intends to title it.

Now all I need is someone who is willing to get that done. :think: