IGNORED

why a trailer does not fit my touring lifestyle, video enclosed

cowpuc

Seems like I have an endless supply of friends and neighbors that question my sanity for packing my mule the way I do and refusin to hitch up a trailer to er instead of putting all the weight on er tired ol back..

If ya have any interest in the subject this few minute vid may help splain why I am so reluctant to latch on a trailer..while I love the vid for the shear ruggedness of the mountain desert region the important part for the subject at hand starts at about 2.40 into the vid.. if you are the type who enjoys the highway touring and gets bored easily with slow moving back road country stuff, thats cool we just have different tastes in venture riding,, you probably should start the vid at 2.40.

keep in mind this is just a tiny example of the stuff I encounter while cross country touring.. my biggest struggle actually with trailer pulling comes into play with snake trailing between trees,, do it a lot..

I think it was larry, carbon one, who recently suggested a one wheeled trailer,, larry,, that thought is one that I have truthfully never considered.. I have been using the rack on the back successfully for many many miles spanning the wearing out of 5 1st gens and never thought of changing since hammering it out years ago.. your suggestion has me scratching my head though.. the reason why is I think I could fab up a narrow trailer

That would stay in the tracking of the bike.. it would have to have very minimal swing and pivot and remainlight weight. It alsowould be neat to build within that trailer aa permant means of hauling 2 gallons water and fuel. I carry 1 gallon water and half gallon xtra fuel now and, save very few instances, itsbeen adequate..

Larry, yours, as well as others suggestion are not falling on deaf ears.. I am always open for suggestions but those suggestions must be accomodating to what I am about in seeking fulfillment in my touring.. some like bling,, thats cool n I get it BUT, I also get txsturgises love for his ural,,, just the way I am and its probably way to far into my life to change my ride style now...

Must be something with the name Scott! Love that Video! Same reason why I don't have a trailer, but I am thinking of one for Regionals and Really long trips to stage up gear and get lighter for so twisties. I'm still trying to drag a knee on the Venture. :rotf: They do make one wheel trailers, seen one at the bike night in Austintown, ohio. It was really nice, I wished I looked closer.

The best and most admired thing about the video is Your Venture Lady so cheerful and willing to go along braving the Pillion to take in the same sights as you. You go Girl!

(I always said it takes more gonads to ride the rear, I don;t think I could do it! LOL)

Nice video work!

Does that have a darkside tire?

Seems like I have an endless supply of friends and neighbors that question my sanity for packing my mule the way I do and refusin to hitch up a trailer to er instead of putting all the weight on er tired ol back..

If ya have any interest in the subject this few minute vid may help splain why I am so reluctant to latch on a trailer..while I love the vid for the shear ruggedness of the mountain desert region the important part for the subject at hand starts at about 2.40 into the vid.. if you are the type who enjoys the highway touring and gets bored easily with slow moving back road country stuff, thats cool we just have different tastes in venture riding,, you probably should start the vid at 2.40.

keep in mind this is just a tiny example of the stuff I encounter while cross country touring.. my biggest struggle actually with trailer pulling comes into play with snake trailing between trees,, do it a lot..

I think it was larry, carbon one, who recently suggested a one wheeled trailer,, larry,, that thought is one that I have truthfully never considered.. I have been using the rack on the back successfully for many many miles spanning the wearing out of 5 1st gens and never thought of changing since hammering it out years ago.. your suggestion has me scratching my head though.. the reason why is I think I could fab up a narrow trailer

That would stay in the tracking of the bike.. it would have to have very minimal swing and pivot and remainlight weight. It alsowould be neat to build within that trailer aa permant means of hauling 2 gallons water and fuel. I carry 1 gallon water and half gallon xtra fuel now and, save very few instances, itsbeen adequate..

Larry, yours, as well as others suggestion are not falling on deaf ears.. I am always open for suggestions but those suggestions must be accomodating to what I am about in seeking fulfillment in my touring.. some like bling,, thats cool n I get it BUT, I also get txsturgises love for his ural,,, just the way I am and its probably way to far into my life to change my ride style now...

Puc,

Buddy,

Don't take this the wrong way,

but...

There's probably a reason for that.

From what I've seen, that, is: not the best solution to carrying things along on a trip...

A uni-go trailer or similar single wheel trailer, combined with a pintle type(gives more up down movement than standard ball) hitch would allow you to carry more things on your excursions, safely.

It is not my wish to criticize anyone,

but,

if I see something that I feel is detrimental to ones health, I feel the need to speak up...

The higher you carry a weight on a motorcycle, the more difficult it is to control.

Best wishes ,

Joe

Edited by CaptainJoe

And thats what I liked about the Bunkhouse, the weight was carried real low in the trailer.

Got to give it to him though making a trip like that two up and loaded like that. Heck I barely got all my gear on the bike for a camping trip. I weighed it all when I got home and it was 119 Lbs. Good thing 42 Lbs of it was on the seat and I was wearing 17 Lbs of it. I had all the bags loaded to capacity of 20 Lbs each.

Guest tx2sturgis

Maybe you should look at the trailer I built a few years ago.

Single wheel, leans with the bike, narrower than the bike, does NOT decrease fuel mileage or range. Carries a tent, sleeping bag, tarp, air mattress, cooler, and misc camping supplies.

Here's the permalink to the 2011 article:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=606750&postcount=36

Edited by tx2sturgis

Loved the off road video. I used to drive may XS750 Special off road, drove through the Fakahatchee Strand in the everglades two up until I got to sugar sand, too much for hte skinny rear wheel. Have not been out west on the bike other than renting an HD in Vegas while my wife was attending a seminar. Rode outof town and up a mountain near by. 100 degrees in town, 60 on the mountain. Chilly in T shirt and jeans.

Tx2sturgis: That single wheel trailer is sharp!! Is it solid suspension or is the the rear wheel mounted on a torsion arm?

Hey Puc. That bare skull colored helmet had me fooled at first ....

Off roading gives a whole different perspective on the scenery. I sold my dual sport when I bought my RSV but even on a dirt bike I never considered riding two up on the dirt.

I don't know how you walk with 'brass beach balls'.....

VentureFar...

that looks like a blast. you got a lot of good pics getting off the beaten path. rode on a lot of sand over the years but not on venture. do you know where road goes or just chance it don't think it would even show up on a garmon. or paper map. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Single wheel, leans with the bike, narrower than the bike, does NOT decrease fuel mileage or range. Carries a tent, sleeping bag, tarp, air mattress, cooler, and misc camping supplies.

Very cool Brian.

Like the Uni_Go (if i understand your write up correctly) you used a universal joint in the tongue to give the most up/down right/left travel while maintaining rock solid lean with bike control... (regular ball mount wouldn't work)

Good on ya!

Must be something with the name Scott! Love that Video! Same reason why I don't have a trailer, but I am thinking of one for Regionals and Really long trips to stage up gear and get lighter for so twisties. I'm still trying to drag a knee on the Venture. :rotf: They do make one wheel trailers, seen one at the bike night in Austintown, ohio. It was really nice, I wished I looked closer.

The best and most admired thing about the video is Your Venture Lady so cheerful and willing to go along braving the Pillion to take in the same sights as you. You go Girl!

(I always said it takes more gonads to ride the rear, I don;t think I could do it! LOL)

Nice video work!

Does that have a darkside tire?

indeed, that tippy is my best friend.. she also used to stay home with 3 kids while I took one and did exactly like that vid portrays.. did it all the way up till the kids moved on,, THEN IT BECAME HER TURN! Now adays, the bike dont leave the house without her on it, she truely is a remarkable person.. so areyou Mike for your observation of that point, you my friend are on to something with your comment about her. So many times we riders comment to each other about where we been, the bikes we ride and the things we do. We completely skip over the person on the back.. I wouldnt get on the back of ANYONES bike for anything more than an emergency,, I simply trust NO ONE at the helm but me,, she is far braver than I! My hat goes off to ALL riding partners out there! Thanks for pointing that out mike!

no darkside, did have extremely good results with the metzler rear tire I tossed on tweeks before we left home on this trip! Dating all the way back to the 70, s,, this metzler is showing the best wear resistance of any tire I have tried,, and I have burned down most brands offered on western touring.. I have not tried any of the multi rubber tires yet though, little to pricey for me. Someday I will find one, curious to see how theyhold up. Rode a buddys valkary with car tire/darkside, think the wear factor would be excellent, but I could not get beyound the feel in the twistys.. just like this trailer thingy,, I guess I am just to old o start redesigning my riding techniques..

Puc,

Buddy,

Don't take this the wrong way,

but...

There's probably a reason for that.

From what I've seen, that, is: not the best solution to carrying things along on a trip...

A uni-go trailer or similar single wheel trailer, combined with a pintle type(gives more up down movement than standard ball) hitch would allow you to carry more things on your excursions, safely.

It is not my wish to criticize anyone,

but,

if I see something that I feel is detrimental to ones health, I feel the need to speak up...

The higher you carry a weight on a motorcycle, the more difficult it is to control.

Best wishes ,

Joe

joe,, buddy,, NO CRITICALNESS FELT MY GOOD FRIEND!,

atter of fact, one of my best friends/neighbors has begged me for years to rethink my techniqe. He and his wife on their new harley followed tippy and I into a gravel parking lot last year. His front end wash out on a very slow turn and down they slid. I ran over and helped pick his bike up and bandaged his cut nose, scrapped the windshield in the fall.. the first words out of his mouth was,, that is exactly the reason why I keep telling you to get the weight off the high center of gravity on your bike.. his point was valid and so is yours.

looking very closely at txsturgis, s provided example, carrbonones ideas. Having ridden like I do for many years and miles, the trailer scenario would have to prove itself to me in "FEEL" though.. I am not one to just change things because the crowd thinks thats the direction I should go.. learned a long time ago that just cause everyone thinks something is right, doesnot mean it is.. can be a lonley way to live but it works for me.. not being critical either Joe!

ABSOLUTLEY PERFECT BRIAN! Wish we were neighbors brother,,, I spend hours gearheading with ya.. gonna take some of your ideas,, theft is americas number one crime ya know LOL, maybe shorten that up a little, lookin at it I think I coukd get by withthree feet max on the extention tx.. will be pickin your brain this winter if ok?

nice job brian,, remarkable really! THANKS

that looks like a blast. you got a lot of good pics getting off the beaten path. rode on a lot of sand over the years but not on venture. do you know where road goes or just chance it don't think it would even show up on a garmon. or paper map. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

no maps, no gps.. do carry a small compass for emergencys.. we pulled out of yosimite area other night for a night ride, actually looked up, found the big dipper and north star and used it for direction,, believe it or not THAT is a fact. I actually lied toa VERY good friend of mine, squidley, just recently when he asked if I had a road atlas with me. The reason why was cause if I would have said no he would have forced his on me, just the us brothers are.. I dont carry one cause I LOVE stopping and talking to people when I am lost, its all part of the experience for me..

No idea where the roads lead but they always seem to lead to where I am LOL

Puc you have a good start . My brothers ST 1100 . I tell him "Your bike needs a truck" he puts a small dog on the tank too. I don't say anything either way , he has as much fun as I do.

GOOD ON YA BILL! OF COURSE YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK OF YOUR BROTHER! You sure he and I arent blood relatives,,, please tell him I get it!

Very cool Brian.

Like the Uni_Go (if i understand your write up correctly) you used a universal joint in the tongue to give the most up/down right/left travel while maintaining rock solid lean with bike control... (regular ball mount wouldn't work)

Good on ya!

WORD, DITTO AND THAT

Evidently, there is a whole culture of folks like you.

Motorcycle-Carrying-Cargo-01.jpg Everything including the kitchen sink

[ATTACH]85102[/ATTACH] Can you scoutch up a little bit?

[ATTACH]85103[/ATTACH] Helpful during the grass harvest

[ATTACH]85104[/ATTACH] Isn't this side car on the wrong side?

[ATTACH]85105[/ATTACH] Yes we have some bananas today

jus sayin if you had a SECOND GEN there isn't anyplace in the video I couldn't pull my old camper trailer lol.Great video and keep on keepin on

If your talking from experience and have pics I would LOVE to see em and hear some stories! Nothing I enjoy more than reading others adventure times! Well,,,,, besides experiencing my self :rotf:

I tow a trailer a lot... but I agree. Your video is not a situation I would want a trailer. Any trailer. But to be honest...it is not a situation I would want a Venture either. Now... on my KLR650 that I sold a few years ago... that would be perfect. But my wife would only take short runs with me on the KLR.

Impressive! Ride on...

Guest tx2sturgis
I tow a trailer a lot... but I agree. Your video is not a situation I would want a trailer. Any trailer. But to be honest...it is not a situation I would want a Venture either. Now... on my KLR650 that I sold a few years ago... that would be perfect. But my wife would only take short runs with me on the KLR.

Impressive! Ride on...

If you want a perfect match for the KLR or other dual-purpose bike, check out the moto-mule:

http://www.moto-mule.com/trailermore.html

As for mine, it might be ok for dirt trail riding...but the one thing that a single wheel trailer is really good at is allowing the bike and trailer to track thru high speed sweepers without imparting much if any centrifugal force to the outside of the turn...in other words, they let the rider, ride the bike, instead of always trying to guide the trailer.

With the trailer loaded, it adds a touch of top-heavy feeling at slow speeds...naturally. But once your road speed gets up to about 35 to 40 mph, it virtually disappears back there.

And yes, the hitch is a u-joint, (for a class 8 tractor steering shaft) and the wheel is a 10 inch wheel and scooter tire, on a light duty torsion bar suspension. It rides VERY smoothly.

I have pulled it many thousands of miles now, on a few longer trips to South Dakota a couple of times, and Arkansas, and around the Texas Panhandle for several 100-300 mile trips. It performs very well.

:happy34:

Here are a few pictures from the Sturgis trip in 2011:

Edited by tx2sturgis

If you want a perfect match for the KLR or other dual-purpose bike, check out the moto-mule:

http://www.moto-mule.com/trailermore.html

As for mine, it might be ok for dirt trail riding...but the one thing that a single wheel trailer is really good at is allowing the bike and trailer to track thru high speed sweepers without imparting much if any centrifugal force to the outside of the turn...in other words, they let the rider, ride the bike, instead of always trying to guide the trailer.

With the trailer loaded, it adds a touch of top-heavy feeling at slow speeds...naturally. But once your road speed gets up to about 35 to 40 mph, it virtually disappears back there.

And yes, the hitch is a u-joint, (for a class 8 tractor steering shaft) and the wheel is a 10 inch wheel and scooter tire, on a light duty torsion bar suspension. It rides VERY smoothly.

I have pulled it many thousands of miles now, on a few longer trips to South Dakota a couple of times, and Arkansas, and around the Texas Panhandle for several 100-300 mile trips. It performs very well.

:happy34:

Here are a few pictures from the Sturgis trip in 2011:

brian,, THAT is awesome! Gotta give ya a salute for a job well done! Most definitly hasme scratching my head in thinking about its applicati8n to our ride style,, most definitly has merit forfuture consideration myfriend. Thanks q zillion for sharing the pics and info..

Hey Puc,

Thought about doing anything like this? I put MKII trunk on a few years ago, and before I went on my trip down to Oklahoma, I made a bracket to put the original trunk in place of my ball hitch bracket.

Bill

NOPE, I HAVE NOT!!!! WOW DOI LIKE THELOOKS OF THAT!!!

Bill, is the lower trunk mounted on a receiver platform? I really like carrying our tent with the sleeping bags, 3/4 foam, pillows all laid out, folded in half ane rolled up. Thats the bulk I carry on my rear carrier. Its really not as heavy as it appears but it is bulky.. I have been doing this years cause it allows for very fast setup/teardown time.. after a 16 hour day of riding I can literally pull into a field, parking lot, walmart,, whatever and within 5 minutes be sawing logs,, no joke..

With very little tweekin I think you could b3 on to something that would actually make off roading a venture even easier..

I have an 87 with decent glass at home.. I may very well glean from your idea,, but do some tweekin to make it fit our needs.. I could see actually removing my rear trunk, build a backrest for tippy to lean on and then placing the tent/bag roll directly behind her where the trunk now is.. than taking the 87 trunk (bigger than the 83). Mount the 87 trunk as you have suggested. I definitly see a much lower center if gravity on that trunk and carring heavier objects in that rear trunk would actually add to off roading capabilitys..

I REALLY LIKE WHAT YOU DID BILL!

Thank you for sharing your creation, it is really appreciated!

puc