IGNORED

Friend lost Ignition Key. Help!!!

Phoneman1981

Bubba, first question is , how would he get the cap off if he does not have a key? Second, the number under the cap has nothing to do with the key code.

The vin number will not get you a key code, if it did every car or bike would be fair game to all the crooks.

Best bet is a good locksmith that can make a key or use a jiggler key to unlock the gas cap and then remove the guts and "read" the tumblers.

Always have a spare some where or the key code written down, but he knows that lesson now.

Bubba, first question is , how would he get the cap off if he does not have a key? Second, the number under the cap has nothing to do with the key code.

The vin number will not get you a key code, if it did every car or bike would be fair game to all the crooks.

Best bet is a good locksmith that can make a key or use a jiggler key to unlock the gas cap and then remove the guts and "read" the tumblers.

Always have a spare some where or the key code written down, but he knows that lesson now.

It didn't work on mine but many slide the key flap on the gas cap over abd put a mirror under our to read the code

One key in the ignition. One in pocket. One in bag for a passenger. One bidder requiring tools to get at on bike and the key code nodded tools required to see. That's my policy.

I have no idea if this is right but think the serial number will do you no good. Otherwise anyone can get it while you are parked and have a key made. You have to have the key code or have new locks made or keys made to locks. Its a nightmare.

These are stamped keys not cut.

For those with a 1st gen...

On my 86...I still have the original keys.....there is a number stamped on the key shank just

below the black plastic head, that I believe is the key code....

An A followed by 5 digits.....

keep a spare laced into one of my boots..

as long as i don't lose my boots also ..I'll be ok

I always keep mine on a wire wrapped around the neck of the coolant bottle under the Fairing Cover on the left side of my 83's... Well,,, there ya go guys,,, the last secret that I had in life:rotf:

Oh yea,,, if your prone to stealin and ya decide your gonna steal my bike now,, for your safety you should let me know ahead of time cause there are some "things" about Tweeks you should be aware of BEFORE you pull out onto the road with her:rotf:

I have been in contact with Mike Ferrance (Heartbeat) and he is ordering the punches for 1st Gen keys, for his key machine. My 89VR key had the key code stamped on it and I gave Mike the code and he is going to make two spares for me.

Send him a PM.

I have been in contact with Mike Ferrance (Heartbeat) and he is ordering the punches for 1st Gen keys, for his key machine. My 89VR key had the key code stamped on it and I gave Mike the code and he is going to make two spares for me.

Send him a PM.

Thats really good to know, thanks Jay!!:thumbsup: