IGNORED

Town Names

BigLenny

South Dakota has some good ones too. Our high school plays a school from the town of Hitchcock. Ive been in Peever, Bath, Lemmon, Faith, Java, and Athol. The western part of the state has alot of colorful names. Most are small towns in the badlands etc.

Everything I can find still lists it as Virginville, the list office, wikipedia, trip advisor, AAA. Google maps. I go by there a lit ull have to detour and check this out.

Mike !

You don´t get it do you ? :rotf:

My home state ride thru's in Michigan

I am from "Fruitport" which is right next door to "Ferrysburg"..

Have been at the Johnston Boiler Co. factory in Ferrysburg a few times.

Welded tube for Boilermakers Local 169 out of Detroit (powerhouse construction) than got married, moved out of the field and into the shop, worked for Johnston Boiler for a year year before I went back to College... Small world Leland!!:thumbsup:

Tippy and I just got back from a bike ride and went right by the old shop. Almost stopped for pizza at Pizza Hut right down the road from Johnston..

Used to be a FROGMORE, SC, half way between Beaufort and the beach.

It's still there but outsiders moving in over the last 20 years managed to have it renamed to St.Helena, the name of the island it is on. The post office had the Frogmore Frog that teenagers would steal and bring back.

If you hear of Frogmore Stew,,, that is local for a shrimp boil (w/ new potatoes, Polish sausage and corn) that is also called Beaufort Stew and Low Country Boil. But you know you found a local when they call it Frogmore Stew.

Like once Sugar Tit,,, some people just can't leave a good thing alone.

Oh, and got a buddy from Muleshoe, TX.

Edited by Mike G in SC

Middlesex probably comes from Middlesex England. I don't think anybody can beat the English for odd names. Ozleworth, Wotton-under-edge, Tewksbury, Upton Snodsbury. My aunt lived in Heavitree Exeter. The heavitree was the tree they hung people from. It is still there. I have been to the corner of Gay and Queen streets in Bath, a road called The Road and the corner of Hangman lane and Deadman lane.

Pa has some of the best. Middlesex. Intercourse, blue ball, and virginville to name a few. In fact they hold the funny name record according to this. http://www.squidoo.com/pennsylvania-town-names

Since I am single I think I'll schedule a ride to virginville.

Hope you stopped by Climaxe on the way out.

From my Droid wherever I may happen to be at any given moment.

Middlesex ? How's that a funny name ? It covered the area around London.

It was East of Wessex (as was) and West of Essex. Come to think of it, it is North of Sussex (East and West) and South of....... Bedfordshire (and Herts & a couple of others.)

We don't have funny names here ???

While it is not a funny name, there is a town in Pennsylvania (not far from Puxatawney), that is named Glen Campbell.

My father is/was named Glen Campbell (yes, with one 'n').

We made a detour while returning from New England, just to photograph the town sign, fire house and Post Office. The Postmistress postmarked a blank envelope for me to send home.

Not a funny town name, but it made me sad and proud at the same time.

"A town named for my Dad."

attachment.php?attachmentid=84298&stc=1&d=1400267894