IGNORED

Squidley's Trailer Adventures

SapperMedic

In order for this to make sense, I have to begin this travelog with some background info. In January I broke my Humerus (Shoulder) helping to push start a Honda Shadow, ( Picture running too fast and can't stop). Because of that, my wife did not trailer my bike up to Utah. She left 3 weeks before I was to fly in. I had promised UTAdventure that would haul the trailer that Aussie Annie and Allen had used, back to Texas for Squidley when we met for dinner for another motorcycle group that we jointly belong to (Temple Riders Assn). When we hooked it up to the Envoy, the hitch was a little high and I worried that the rear end would drag if we hit some bumps, and no sign of it in the rearview mirrors. I could have bought a drop down hitch, but that wouldn't have solved the mirror issue. We then discovered something new. You CAN fit a tagalong motorcycle into the back of an SUV. It traveled nicely and we just put some of the luggage inside it to make up for the loss of space. We met a fellow Venture Rider (Non member, Blue RSV) from Washington headed for Los Alamos. I invited him to check out the website and encouraged him to use the membership if he needed roadside assistance. We arrived in one piece and now have it in the back of the truck for its final trip to Houston, (or maybe Leakey). I have to work for a half day next Saturday so we hope to get up to see the crew either Friday evening or Saturday afternoon. If this trailer could talk, it would have some of the most interesting stories.

Many have participated in the adventures of this trailer. It would be great to hear from those involved.

Our involvement came after the amazing work that was done in preparing it for Alan and Annie by Squidley (Brad) and Gunboat (Don). The Aussies were coming to my place in Salt Lake City to pick up Alan's bike and the trailer.

Along with our friends, Paul and Rhonda Tew, Jan and I rode to Cortez, Colorado. We met up there with Gunboat, after he made a 14 hour run from Texas to get us the trailer. This was our first and only opportunity to met with such a special person.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr70/utadventure/Mesa%20Verde-Cortez%20Trailer%20Trip/2013-05-17_20-06-40_211_zpsc3818ec6.jpg

We had a great time visiting, talking bikes, laughing and I'm sure swapping a lie or two. We were truly blessed to have this meeting. Thanks Don!

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr70/utadventure/Mesa%20Verde-Cortez%20Trailer%20Trip/ca5a49c867c6db6d2147bfeae0b31405_zps1c867485.jpg

The next morning we hooked up the trailer to my '86. I pulled it all through Mesa Verde National Park and then on to Moab and finally to home. It rode so well behind the bike you almost didn't realize it was back there. That was May of 2013.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr70/utadventure/9cfea7962b79e6717eab85c1f163b33d_zpsb232c64d.jpg

After we arrived home we grabbed a pic hooked up to Alan's bike.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr70/utadventure/4287d6f2e9710c216fee42d495213b0d_zps55926b7f.jpg

Alan and Annie arrived to our place in July to pic up the bike and trailer before heading out on their adventures. While here they took time for a ride to Bear Lake and Monte Cristo with us and Jim and Carol Lindsey. It was a beautiful day and ride (sorry you lost you parade fans, Annie)

At the end of touring around, we met up again in Moab, UT (this time in the car). Had a great couple of days visiting the parks and sites, and some great dinners!

Since they returned home, they arranged to get the trailer from Portland to SLC, where we kept it over the winter.

Last week Sappermedic (Brian) stopped by and got it almost home where it now belongs.

What great times.....I love to do it all again! VR.org members are fantastic!! Thanks All

Dave

When Aussie Annie and Alan were here on their first adventure, Squid's trailer spent lots of time with us that summer.

Here is a picture of Alan pulling it. Can't remember exactly where we were going. We went to Eureka Springs, Vogel and Whiteman AFB that summer. It was so much fun!

Patti

Thank you so much for the stories.... And the memories!!

I never knew what an adventure it would be with the trailer when I purchased it from our friend Don (Gunboat)

We didn't get to see him again on our second trip, he passed away shortly before our arrival in the USA.

I honored him with the memory tribute painted on the trailer, but also fulfilled his wish of having recognition of the states travelled by us, and the trailer, put on to it.

We found fridge magnets of all states at some truck stops...... And Alan glued them on the front of "Gunboat"

I'm glad it will soon be home with Squidley.

I would like to thank Dave, Brian, Paradise H-D, Portland (for storage) and Squidley for their help...... But most of all I'd like to thank Don Cumpston for his friendship and kindness

I hope he has enjoyed watching down and smiling at the adventures we, and others, have had with his little trailer :bighug::bighug:

I can't thank all of you folks involved in this enough. The best played plans always seem to get waylayed along the path, but y'all came through. I appreciate all you folks and look forward to taking it behind the "Black" '02 RSV.....thank you all again.

Is Dano not referring to the trailer in question?

I'm so confused .

RR

The trailer that Dano has is the trailer Alan and Annie used during their first trip to the US in 2011. The trailer that was used in 2013 to tour the states is what Sappermedic took back to Texas for Squidley.

Thus the confusion. There are two trailers.

Dave