IGNORED

Gas Tank Rust

Danaman

Has anyone had a problem with the gas tank rusting just above the rubber moulding on the back of the tank on the pet cock side. I know of at least three people who have a similar problem. The moulding appears to hold water and subsequently causing the rust problem, just my opinion. Curious to see if this a common problem. It is a 2004 which is always stored in a heated shop and does get washed a lot. I will try to upload a photo.

If its not an internal tank issue I wonder if that stuff Brain (Tx2sturgis) told us about this past winter would be a good product to spray in that area... It was an aircraft anti corrostion spray of some kind..

Maybe he will chime in here..

Puc

My son's 83, CX-500 tank started leaking badly in about the same place.

I went to auto parts place, told him about it. He looked up two seperate products for coating the inside of fuel tanks.

I ordered one, cost was about $65.00 as I recall. Anyway, it was a two part mix, I followed the directions. And the product coated the complete inside of the tank.

It Worked !!! Still not leaking after about 3 years of service.

Sorry, don't remember the name of the product.

My son's 83, CX-500 tank started leaking badly in about the same place.

I went to auto parts place, told him about it. He looked up two seperate products for coating the inside of fuel tanks.

I ordered one, cost was about $65.00 as I recall. Anyway, it was a two part mix, I followed the directions. And the product coated the complete inside of the tank.

It Worked !!! Still not leaking after about 3 years of service.

Sorry, don't remember the name of the product.

Good point George!!:thumbsup2:

I have done lots of tanks thru the years,, I tried the Cream Coat kits, made my own out of a mix of Seal All (GREAT STUFF with many uses) and acetone, tried the electrolisis method (google it, this works really good too) and finally found this stuff called "RED COAT".. The red coat is what a lot of radiator shops use (finally figured it out).. The really nice thing about the red coat is that you dont have to (I still do) acid the tank first.. It literally makes a tank within a tank.. I know of three bikes that I sold many many years ago that the red coat still looks like new in!!

Good point George!!:thumbsup2:

I have done lots of tanks thru the years,, I tried the Cream Coat kits, made my own out of a mix of Seal All (GREAT STUFF with many uses) and acetone, tried the electrolisis method (google it, this works really good too) and finally found this stuff called "RED COAT".. The red coat is what a lot of radiator shops use (finally figured it out).. The really nice thing about the red coat is that you dont have to (I still do) acid the tank first.. It literally makes a tank within a tank.. I know of three bikes that I sold many many years ago that the red coat still looks like new in!!

Well the " Inside " of the CX-500 tank is now a Blue Color . Ha Ha. The stuff dried, and its about a 1/32 inch thick coating inside the complete tank.

Also, the stuff takes several days to dry, before you put Fuel into the tank.

Anyway, It worked !!! Wish I could remember the name of the product. It was a special order product. Normaly not stocked at auto parts places.

If you can't find it, check with NAPA, auto parts.