IGNORED

Question on best roads for the WV folks

Eck

I am in the midst of planning a ride and would like to ask, which road is better, has more mountains and best in scenic views...?

Hwy 92 south out of Green Bank WV.....or ...Hwy 219 south out of Salty Fork WV?

It appears 92 has more mountains and that is what I am looking for, but thought I would ask those who may live in that area.

Thanks

Eck

No idea as I rarely visit that part of the state. When I go in that direction I just follow the front wheel, I don't look at numbers. I would think 92 but it depends on how well it is maintained. Skid may have a little more info. Or Slow Roll.

I am in the midst of planning a ride and would like to ask, which road is better, has more mountains and best in scenic views...?

Hwy 92 south out of Green Bank WV.....or ...Hwy 219 south out of Salty Fork WV?

It appears 92 has more mountains and that is what I am looking for, but thought I would ask those who may live in that area.

Thanks

Eck

Eck,

Weren't you the one that found a link that would give you the rider's eye view of any anticipated road trip. I would like to find that link again to plan a trip this summer.

Eck,

Weren't you the one that found a link that would give you the rider's eye view of any anticipated road trip. I would like to find that link again to plan a trip this summer.

These are the two I posted a while back. I used them both to find roads I am planning to ride in WV but I just wanted to know what those who live in WV thought of the choice on the two roads I mentioned in my above post.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/

http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/states/

Edited by Eck

Eck,

Been down both those roads in the last four years. I say that it must be a mixed bag. 92 is a road that runs down in the valley floor of mountains on each side. Views are all over but not as wide open as over on 219. 219 is wider and more open. It has more houses and small business also. I think it mainly depends on how you get there and where you want to end up.

just my 2 cents

Must see rides

1. Ride under the bridge at US19 New River Gorge

2. US 60 West over to the Hawks Nest State Park overlook

3. US 60 West over to the Gauley Bridge

4. US 60 West 2 miles west of Gauley Bridge is the Kanawha Falls city park.

5. US 60 East of US19 to WV41 south to Babcock State Park

a. Grist Mill in the park

b. Great place to watch the sunset is on the little road between the cabins and main entrance. The valley between and sun set in the middle. Take a bottle of wine and the music box with your favorite sound. It will echo down the valley and every time we have been there the park is almost empty. We have stayed in the campground & the cabins down by the river. Clean and affordable.

6. US60 East to WV20 north to WV39 east to WV55 east to WV150 Scenic Highway to US219

7. If you make over to Senca Rock

8. Ride up on Spruce Knob Highest Point in WV *** Restaurant at the base of Spruce Knob Meat and 3 vegetables really tasty place good dessert also.

9. WV72 **the goat trail *** over to US219 north to Blackwater Falls down to Canan Valley

Eck, the bottom line I have toured the WV area the last four years and have decided that WV does not have a bad road as long as you stay on the Eastern side of the state.

Eck,

Been down both those roads in the last four years. I say that it must be a mixed bag. 92 is a road that runs down in the valley floor of mountains on each side. Views are all over but not as wide open as over on 219. 219 is wider and more open. It has more houses and small business also. I think it mainly depends on how you get there and where you want to end up.

Thanks for all the information Cowboy! I may just keep going east on Hwy 33 just past Elkton, VA and get on Skyline Drive and take it south.

just my 2 cents

Must see rides

1. Ride under the bridge at US19 New River Gorge (Did this last year)

2. US 60 West over to the Hawks Nest State Park overlook (Did this last year)

3. US 60 West over to the Gauley Bridge (Did this last year)

4. US 60 West 2 miles west of Gauley Bridge is the Kanawha Falls city park. (Did this last year)

5. US 60 East of US19 to WV41 south to Babcock State Park (Did this last year)

a. Grist Mill in the park (Did this last year) Beautiful mill and the office has clean rest rooms....

b. Great place to watch the sunset is on the little road between the cabins and main entrance. The valley between and sun set in the middle. Take a bottle of wine and the music box with your favorite sound. It will echo down the valley and every time we have been there the park is almost empty. We have stayed in the campground & the cabins down by the river. Clean and affordable.

6. US60 East to WV20 north to WV39 east to WV55 east to WV150 Scenic Highway to US219

7. If you make over to Senca Rock

8. Ride up on Spruce Knob Highest Point in WV *** Restaurant at the base of Spruce Knob Meat and 3 vegetables really tasty place good dessert also. (Will be stopping here this year as we ride Hwy 33 east)

9. WV72 **the goat trail *** over to US219 north to Blackwater Falls down to Canan Valley

Eck, the bottom line I have toured the WV area the last four years and have decided that WV does not have a bad road as long as you stay on the Eastern side of the state.

I will be meeting my best friend in Bridgeport and then next day, riding east to get to east side and into VA., to pick up Skyline Dr.

I was going to take 219 south, but decided I want more of the mountains.. not valley floor...

Many thanks for all the info...and your time !!!!!!!! :thumbsup2:

Eck if you are meeting in Bridgeport take Rt 50 east to Winchester VA. then RT522-340 south to Front Royal. Sky Line Drive Starts just out of Front Royal on 340 and is just under 110 miles to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Let me know when you will be in this area and I will try to hook up and ride with you a ways.

Eck if you are meeting in Bridgeport take Rt 50 east to Winchester VA. then RT522-340 south to Front Royal. Sky Line Drive Starts just out of Front Royal on 340 and is just under 110 miles to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I already planned on taking Hwy 50 east out of Bridgeport but only to Hwy 250/119 south (just west of Gafton), down thru Philippi picking up Hwy 33 east going thru Elkins, thru Riverton, thru Harrisonburg, thru Elkton and picking up Skyline Dr east of Elkton.

Let me know when you will be in this area and I will try to hook up and ride with you a ways.

Should be some time in Aug or Sept. I have to wait for my best friend to tell me when he can take his vacation...I will email you when we make final plans/dates to be in Bridgeport.