IGNORED

Battery chargers

Guest ReinyRooster

Guest ReinyRooster

I am probably going to be buying the Odyssey battery when the new riding season starts and was investigating battery charges. I am very interested in the CTEK battery chargers.

Anyone have one, used one, have any comments about them? They look to be well made and only marginally more money then the others out there.

I use a Private Label smart charger from West Marine that has 2-10-15amp charge rates. Paid about $60 bucks for it.... wholesale.... then saw the same charger at SAM'S Club (different brand, same charger) for $49 retail with a starting circut. That's boating for ya.... :) Anyway I did a google search for the CTEK and noticed when reading some of the text that it's made for a lead acid battery. Odysseys are an AGM/Dry. Anyway, you might look into the SAM'S charger. I've been using my WM for about 4 years now and it's a dandy..... One nice thing about the CTEK 800 is it's size, and it could be stowed in a saddlebag for travel emergencies, but for what you get it's over priced.

Guest tx2sturgis
Anyway I did a google search for the CTEK and noticed when reading some of the text that it's made for a lead acid battery. Odysseys are an AGM/Dry. Anyway, you might look into the SAM'S charger.

Its still lead acid, just that the acid is not free floating. Its absorbed in a mat, hence the name, AGM, Absorbed Glass Mat.

Odyssey uses the term 'DryCell' to distinguish themselves in the market, and to get around shipping restrictions... they also sell to owners of 4x4 buggies and jeeps that are used in heavy duty trail riding, and end up laid over on the rocks sometimes. Those people NEED a battery that will not leak if tipped over.

And yes, I know you brokered a deal on here for the Odysseys awhile back...and thanks for that...still, the battery is lead acid, and any good charger or maintainer made for lead acid, (flooded OR AGM types), should work fine. Them little electrons arent too particular about what color the label is.

Its still lead acid, just that the acid is not free floating. Its absorbed in a mat, hence the name, AGM, Absorbed Glass Mat.

You're absolutely right, however all AGMs take a lower charge voltage to keep from gassing. Not all things are equal, and neither are the chargers..... :)

Guest tx2sturgis
You're absolutely right, however all AGMs take a lower charge voltage to keep from gassing. Not all things are equal, and neither are the chargers..... :)

Ok, wanna get picky?

:cool10:

Actually they need a lower 'finishing' voltage...and thats why I said any GOOD charger or maintainer will do the job. A three stage charger maintainer is the best, a 2 stage is still usable, but may not 'top' off the battery to 100%. They will normally shut off when the delta curve flattens, but that may not be 100% charge...

Any of the good maintainers will keep a decent battery in a usable condition...but lab tests are done and some are better than others at getting every last percent of charge to the battery, without harming it. And most of these good quality batteries have some sort of gas-recombinent technology, to recover whatever minor gassing might occur.

I just wanted to let the guy know, that he wont be harming an odyssey battery by using a CTEK or any other automatic charger/maintainer thats made for lead acid batteries, providing he buys one that has a reasonable charge rate. Sure, you put a 50 amp charger on a little AGM motorcycle battery, and you might break something.

Assuming all normal precautions are taken, the CTEK should be fine on an Odyssey battery.

Ok, wanna get picky?

:cool10:

Actually they need a lower 'finishing' voltage...and thats why I said any GOOD charger or maintainer will do the job. A three stage charger maintainer is the best, a 2 stage is still usable, but may not 'top' off the battery to 100%. They will normally shut off when the delta curve flattens, but that may not be 100% charge...

OK..........

Took the charger back to Sam's today and they just handed me a new one. GREAT!! It is a 25 amp, 10 amp, 2 amp, 75 amp boost with Desulfate cycle, Alternator/battery voltage check with auto float cycle after battery is charged and for all 12 volt battery types. Cannot hook up backwards, lets you know if battery is bad, what charge rate you need. Think it will fix breakfast if I find the right button. About 50 bucks hard to beat.

I have relied on Battery Tender brand for many years, including motorcycles, tractors outside, old cars and more.

This place has the best price I have seen and the Battery Tender Jr. has all the bells and whistles needed, and will work just fine on the spiral core Odyssey type batteries, I have had one in my race car on a Jr. for about four years now.

http://www.accwhse.com/batteryt.htm

The key difference with the AGM type batteries, is simply, Charge them at a " Constant Rate " about 4 to 6 Amps, for the specified amount of time. Use a " Constant Rate Charger "

"" A trickle Charger Will Not Fully Charge these batteries "

And, use an Accurate Voltage Reading, to determine the " State of Charge " Very specific on this in the Instruction sheet that is included in the box.

I am useing the Odyessy batteries on two bikes now. I have found that I need to Recharge, them about every Two Months.

Or if I go for a long ride, ( More then 4 to 6 hours ) and check the voltage, they will be close to fully charged.

During winter months, they seem to need to be recharged, about every two months.

Guest KitCarson

How many of you that use the full time automatic charge/then it supposedly goes into trickle charge to maintain a battery.....find your batteries fried when you go to use them? I do not use one on a bike as normally my bike never sits more than three days before going somewhere....but for years have used all kinds of chargers on boat batteries....I have tried I bet two dozen different ones.....different brands......read this and that....talked to battery folks....some say to charge the battery fast with a high amp charger.....others say to use a ten amp.........others even less........Last year I purchased a fancy super duper.....solve all your problems charger....has a computer in it got it from Cabela's and it is supposed to sense the charge needed....properly send the right amps to the battery and once charged it is supposed to automatically switch to a small trickle charge.....and only do that if needed.

The deal is what I find is these type chargers simply cook the batteries. Just about each time I try one and leave it hooked up for any length of time, I find the batteries cooked........no water........even this new computerized gadget......last week got the boat out.....washed it all up...getting it ready for a spring trip......opened up the caps.....put one and one half gallons of distilled water in the batteries.........so I took that gadget off.......threw it in the scrap metal barrel......where it can stay......

I think it best to use a charger with a timer on it......so it completely shuts off........so any of you find your batteries seem to die prematurely using these things.........it might just be me.....I do know I can run to any battery store .....buy one.....if there is a bad one in the store...it has my name on it........but I have had bad results with these auto chargers.....

I think it best to use a charger with a timer on it......so it completely shuts off........so any of you find your batteries seem to die prematurely using these things.........it might just be me.....I do know I can run to any battery store .....buy one.....if there is a bad one in the store...it has my name on it........but I have had bad results with these auto chargers.....

Kit, if you ever have a chance to pick up this book I'd highly recommend it. It deals with marine application, but it can be applied to just about any 12volt system. I bought one 20 years ago and have wired and rewired more big boats than I care to admit, and probably would have spent most of that time screwing things up if I hadn't read it. i have several others but nothing holds a candle to this one.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516XCJXBDGL._SS500_.jpg

Guest KitCarson
Kit, if you ever have a chance to pick up this book I'd highly recommend it. It deals with marine application, but it can be applied to just about any 12volt system. I bought one 20 years ago and have wired and rewired more big boats than I care to admit, and probably would have spent most of that time screwing things up if I hadn't read it. i have several others but nothing holds a candle to this one.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516XCJXBDGL._SS500_.jpg

So is this a hint??? That I might be lacking in electrical skills??:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Thanks for the tip ......I will get the book and read it. And I like to mess around a bit too........do appreciate your suggestion. Thanks.

Guest tx2sturgis
How many of you that use the full time automatic charge/then it supposedly goes into trickle charge to maintain a battery.....find your batteries fried when you go to use them? I do not use one on a bike as normally my bike never sits more than three days before going somewhere....but for years have used all kinds of chargers on boat batteries....I have tried I bet two dozen different ones.....different brands......read this and that....talked to battery folks....some say to charge the battery fast with a high amp charger.....others say to use a ten amp.........others even less........Last year I purchased a fancy super duper.....solve all your problems charger....has a computer in it got it from Cabela's and it is supposed to sense the charge needed....properly send the right amps to the battery and once charged it is supposed to automatically switch to a small trickle charge.....and only do that if needed.

The deal is what I find is these type chargers simply cook the batteries. Just about each time I try one and leave it hooked up for any length of time, I find the batteries cooked........no water........even this new computerized gadget......last week got the boat out.....washed it all up...getting it ready for a spring trip......opened up the caps.....put one and one half gallons of distilled water in the batteries.........so I took that gadget off.......threw it in the scrap metal barrel......where it can stay......

Kit, you forgot to say something about the Venture, 'not so good', Honda, 'good'.

:rotf:

Hey dude, the secret to that is, buy a very low amperage maintainer, 1 amp or less, and even most flooded batteries can handle that rate without drying out...but failing that, you should check the water level in those batteries every month or two...

I'm having good luck using maintainers on my motorcycle batteries..and i have for years...in fact, the AGM in my Ultra is going on 8 years old...but I ALWAYS hook it up when its going to be sitting for more than a few days.

Actually, the maintainers STOP the battery from self-discharging, or in other words, stop the battery from aging (while its on the charger)

Of course, the batteries are only good for so many starts, whatever that number turns out to be, and when it dies, it will probably leave me stranded at a rest area at 2300 on a sunday nite, miles from nowhere.

I do plan on putting in a new battery soon...(looks at 'round-to-it' reminder)

A proper battery "maintainer" (not a 'trickle charger") like the Battery Tender will take literally years for the battery to go dry, probably go dry on its own just as fast.

NEVER had a battery go dry on one, and I have some vehicles that move once or twice a year, the rest of the time, they are always on a Battery Tender. ON the older style batteries with caps, I check the water level once a year and add as needed, I haven't noticed any difference in the amount of water I have added before starting to use the Battery Tender and after.

Starting with a healthy battery is essential, as no charger, no matter how nice or sophisticated will be able to save one.

Also, any acid accumulation is a clear indicator of something gone wrong, usually the battery has a bad cell or two, or the charging system is overcharging. If you have a healthy battery and use a quality "maintainer" you should never have acid accumulation, a dry battery (check at least each year or few months, like you should no matter what) or a dead battery.

Guest KitCarson
Kit, you forgot to say something about the Venture, 'not so good', Honda, 'good'.

:rotf:

Hey dude, the secret to that is, buy a very low amperage maintainer, 1 amp or less, and even most flooded batteries can handle that rate without drying out...but failing that, you should check the water level in those batteries every month or two...

I'm having good luck using maintainers on my motorcycle batteries..and i have for years...in fact, the AGM in my Ultra is going on 8 years old...but I ALWAYS hook it up when its going to be sitting for more than a few days.

Actually, the maintainers STOP the battery from self-discharging, or in other words, stop the battery from aging (while its on the charger)

Of course, the batteries are only good for so many starts, whatever that number turns out to be, and when it dies, it will probably leave me stranded at a rest area at 2300 on a sunday nite, miles from nowhere.

I do plan on putting in a new battery soon...(looks at 'round-to-it' reminder)

I was going to do that........but I am on a venture site.....I have to behave at least a little bit:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:and the Honda does have a 140 amp altenator........you could run a couple Christmas trees off that system........now stop trying to get me in troulble:rotfl::rotfl:See you all....got to go to work.....someone just broke a water line.....off to see what that is about..........