IGNORED

new pistol first thoughts

baylensman

So I bought a Roger sr40. Waited the three days took the course finally got to the range. Only ran two, clips or 28 rounds(spring is still, stiff didn't want to force 15 in).

Well the piece fired perfectly. Man it throws the brass a ways. Out of the box it seem to ride a little high and to the left for my grip. Didn't want to adjust anything just yet. Will go thru some more rounds latter this week. Will get my glasses adjusted to fit a little better and some ear protection that doesn't move my glasses around then we'll see

It will get better the more you run it. Remember to grip it firmly with both hands, it's not a flower that can be crushed. If after running it more, you find it still shoots left, tighten the grip with your right hand. If it shoots to the right, tighten the grip with your left hand. Good luck.

I just got an SR 40 compact and it seams to shoot to the left and low. But I only shot about 30 rounds through it. I will get it to the range in a couple weeks and run some more through it.

You must be a righty :happy34:

Shooting low and left is common for a right handed shooter with a jerky trigger pull (anticipating the break of the trigger or the shots, depending on how you want to think about it) -- especially with a compact or sub-compact. Could also be due to not keeping a properly balanced grip. For a lefty with this problem, it would be low and to the right.

Practicing via dry fire (or snap caps if you don't want to dry fire your weapon) to build the muscle memory for a properly smooth and consistent trigger pull to keep the sights on your intended target before, during and after the pull is the key to putting a round where you want it. When you do practice, for the love of everything MAKE SURE YOUR WEAPON IS SAFE with NO AMMUNITION EVEN CLOSE in addition to keeping your muzzle pointed in a safe direction AT ALL TIMES [which includes knowing your target and especially what is beyond the target].

Remember a proper trigger pull means a very smooth and deliberate press on the trigger with consistent pressure all the way until even after the weapon fires -- if you consciously think about pulling the trigger until the trigger stops (opposed to until the gun fires) then you can focus on something other than the 'bang' and keep yourself from 'jerking it' at the last bit of the squeeze.

Of course, it is always possible that some bozo adjusted the sights wrong at the factory (or at the store where you bought your unit from) but, my money is on the former [nothing personal at all intended here, just what happens with a new to you weapon].

Keep practicing and enjoy! :thumbsup2:

Dry fire practice is arguably more important than live fire practice -- since, if one cannot dry fire a weapon while keeping it pointed where it should be, adding the live rounds to the mix will not help anything other than your wallet get much lighter much quicker.

You must be a righty :happy34:

Shooting low and left is common for a right handed shooter with a jerky trigger pull (anticipating the break of the trigger or the shots, depending on how you want to think about it) -- especially with a compact or sub-compact. Could also be due to not keeping a properly balanced grip. For a lefty with this problem, it would be low and to the right.

Practicing via dry fire (or snap caps if you don't want to dry fire your weapon) to build the muscle memory for a properly smooth and consistent trigger pull to keep the sights on your intended target before, during and after the pull is the key to putting a round where you want it. When you do practice, for the love of everything MAKE SURE YOUR WEAPON IS SAFE with NO AMMUNITION EVEN CLOSE in addition to keeping your muzzle pointed in a safe direction AT ALL TIMES [which includes knowing your target and especially what is beyond the target].

Remember a proper trigger pull means a very smooth and deliberate press on the trigger with consistent pressure all the way until even after the weapon fires -- if you consciously think about pulling the trigger until the trigger stops (opposed to until the gun fires) then you can focus on something other than the 'bang' and keep yourself from 'jerking it' at the last bit of the squeeze.

Of course, it is always possible that some bozo adjusted the sights wrong at the factory (or at the store where you bought your unit from) but, my money is on the former [nothing personal at all intended here, just what happens with a new to you weapon].

Keep practicing and enjoy! :thumbsup2:

Dry fire practice is arguably more important than live fire practice -- since, if one cannot dry fire a weapon while keeping it pointed where it should be, adding the live rounds to the mix will not help anything other than your wallet get much lighter much quicker.

Totally agree with Lilbeaver and cruiser. Any anticipation and or light gripping will have the mark go off to the left or right if a lefty. Practicing dry firing ( check and make sure no ammo or mag-as some guns will fire with a bullet in chamber and no mag)

It takes some practice, but remember,breathe, smooth trigger control and hold the gun afterwards. After some time your body/ gun will adjust to your natural comfort level. A. .40 will pull side to side and usually a .45 will go up, or higher. Short barrels and short grips also are part of the equation, so it's important to find the right firearm for your hand size.

Good luck and safe shooting....