IGNORED

Looking for a headlight

PGunn

I'm looking for a used headlight, the bucket is what I am after. The lens can be broken or cracked does not matter. My plan is to mount 2 LED projection lamps in place of the single lens so they will match my driving lights I just finished making. Attached are the LED projection lamps I put together.

try this site from e-bay. I have bought quite a bit from them, just keep looking there and a headlight assymbley what you want will show up.

I have done the same thing as you on the driving lights, the led's make the headlight look dim. I not sure if there is a led headlight out there that can cast the beam as far as a sealed beam or hdi. bulb can .

National Powersports Parts Store

I'm looking for a used headlight, the bucket is what I am after. The lens can be broken or cracked does not matter. My plan is to mount 2 LED projection lamps in place of the single lens so they will match my driving lights I just finished making. Attached are the LED projection lamps I put together.

What did you use for your passing lights? Are those the new Truck-Lite (single led) units.? If yes, any issues fitting them in the stock buckets? Thanks:confused24:

I bought these off EBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190811615414?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Removed the Halogen bulb and replaced it with a 55 watt LED (not an HID) I then bought a piece of 4 1/2 aluminum tubing with a 3 1/2 bore turned it in a lathe into this (pic #1).

Next I had to modify the back of the lights to have the needed depth so they wouldn't hit the back of the driving light case(Pic #2).

Next I used a piece of 1/4 neoprene as a fill between the chrome light ring and the aluminum adapter (picture #3). The press fit was easy and one thing to remember is to push it through about an 1/8" too far use a razor blade to trim the outside rubber to the adapter ring then press it back into place and trim the inside flush (pic #4).

Finished with the exception of need to be painted to match the bike. (Pic #5)

Difference between the original driving light and mine. (Pic #6)

Ok now for the headlight....

With the stock bucket the lens is glued into the bucket and all you need to do is apply some heat and the lens will come out. Next I will be fitting an aluminum plate in place of the lens. The plate will have holes bored through it in lets say just for discussion 2 places side by side. In these holes I'll be pressing the projection lamps into them much like I did my driving lights. Now with the 7" aluminum plate I can place 1, 2, 3, or maybe even 4 projection lamps depending on their size (diameter). Now when I paint the plate to match the bike it "should" look good or at least I hope so. I have a few Ideas on the plate also such as curving (convex or concave) the outside face but the holes will be bored straight through so the shape of the outside plate won't affect the beam of the light but will give it a nice match to the shape of the faring.

So the hunt continues..... LOL

Ya know, being you are machining all the tubes etc to mount. Why not machine a fland to sit against bucket and thread the back end. Then tube would sit in bucket and the nut would tighten to hold lamp mount vs an epoxy or glue. Just a thought n maybe you have already been there.

I think I got what your saying and something like that might work. A blind threaded hole in the center of the plate on the back side, screw a threaded bar into it (Loctite) pass the bar through where the original lightbulb would have gone a backing plate there (to "fill" the hole) and tighten a nyloc nut to pull it all together. That would work very well thanks for the idea. I should then be able to reattach the chrome ring around the bucket and over the mount plate like it was to start with a little moding.

:322: