IGNORED

EMERG Help needed on Carb set up, Daytona is waiting

The fuel leak might be coming from the fuel bowl cover. I dusted mine with talc and THEN could see the weeping at the seal area...

I say stop all fuel leaks and THEN worry about getting it running... no sense wasting a fire extinguisher...

That's what i thought also, What good will it do when the Bike runs with Airbox on and well balanced Carbs, when stopping the Leak needs everything undone again?

Ah well, the Soul is in Piece, but i thought you're outbound to Daytona ?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what i thought also, What good will it do when the Bike runs with Airbox on and well balanced Carbs, when stopping the Leak needs everything undone again?

Ah well, the Soul is in Piece, but i thought you're outbound to Daytona ?

yOU AND MBROOD ARE BOTH RIGHT I know its back tracking but I'm gonna take carbs back off while gas is wet on carbs and try to inspect with magnifying glass to track where leaks are coming from for better clues I repost with findings stay tuned.

Not leaving for Daytona till I'm confident carbs are 100% Plan local test ride period to confirm.

i say it again .... Baby Powder, Talcum, Chalk, Crayon ... anything like this will give you more Clue than chasing Leaks on a wet Carbs with a magnifying Glass ...
I don't have anything like that on hand without trip to the store. it's been 25 years since there were any babies around here.

An easy check... hold the rubber DRAIN tube up HIGH and open the drain screw and then SLOWLY lower the tube... you will see fluid hit the end at SOME height and THAT is roughly the level of the gas in the bowl. It SHOULD be near the center-line of the diaphragm needle.

Yep, sounds like your floats are leaking air and sinking (bowl fills forever) or there's some junk lodged in the float needle seat keeping it open (bowl fills forever) or a damaged float needle seat.

On a "good" set of carbs, you can actually take a very accurate float fuel level check by doing the above with the key ON... That lets the pump make up for the tiny bit that bled into the drain tube.

An easy check... hold the rubber DRAIN tube up HIGH and open the drain screw and then SLOWLY lower the tube... you will see fluid hit the end at SOME height and THAT is roughly the level of the gas in the bowl. It SHOULD be near the center-line of the diaphragm needle.

Yep, sounds like your floats are leaking air and sinking (bowl fills forever) or there's some junk lodged in the float needle seat keeping it open (bowl fills forever) or a damaged float needle seat.

On a "good" set of carbs, you can actually take a very accurate float fuel level check by doing the above with the key ON... That lets the pump make up for the tiny bit that bled into the drain tube.

Sounds like I need to separate carbs, take float covers off inspect, clean floats and float needles, reassemble test again then remount and test

Sounds like I need to separate carbs, take float covers off inspect, clean floats and float needles, reassemble test again then remount and test
I've moved lap top, video cam and carbs to bench, web cam link back on so you can watch me work on carbs on bench. if your commenting please use chat text on webcamnow window. that will save me a lot of time punching keys on the keyboard, you should be able to hearr my audiable responses.

Ok sounds pretty much like sticking float needle valves. As before, " Sea foam" and some run time, or take the covers off as long as you got them open.

You might want to consider replaceing the Float valves. ???

opened carb float cover first, found some corrosion settlement on bottom of bowl, blew thru all ports with throttle body cleaner and am see some blue metal flake thjat i used in paint for body evidently some airborn flakes landed in carbs laying on bench in shop. cleaned beginning to reassemble going to work on carb 3 next

This, instant video and chat, is a whole different vein of effort.. inventive and probably a darned good trend... IF you can get folks in sync.

If you blew UP the float needle seat with cleaner... that's great, and then clean the float needle and seat from below. I really don't think the float levers change much (if any) with proper handling but the seats sure are tempermental to tiny bits of gunk. Did you SHAKE each float to listen for any trapped fuel that may have got inside a leaking float?

You found trace of METAL FLAKE from a recent nearby paint job? My wife would smile and say "You pulled a Michael." A simple task with nasty, unexpected side effects.

At least the fuel FILL part is easy to check on assembly, take each and pump them full with the drain screw cracked and the drain tube elevated... lower it and check the level. If everything is to spec., there won't be any later spewing fuel out an orifice and you should be good to go.

Be carefull when you remount the carbs, I try and center them in the mount plates. Any stress to the lower mount boots by misalignment seems to lead to stress cracks and leaks shortly down the line. I always try and eye-ball the carb bank when they are ready to remount to see that they ALL seem to WANT to seat in the boots nicely.

This, instant video and chat, is a whole different vein of effort.. inventive and probably a darned good trend... IF you can get folks in sync.

If you blew UP the float needle seat with cleaner... that's great, and then clean the float needle and seat from below. I really don't think the float levers change much (if any) with proper handling but the seats sure are tempermental to tiny bits of gunk. Did you SHAKE each float to listen for any trapped fuel that may have got inside a leaking float?

You found trace of METAL FLAKE from a recent nearby paint job? My wife would smile and say "You pulled a Michael." A simple task with nasty, unexpected side effects.

At least the fuel FILL part is easy to check on assembly, take each and pump them full with the drain screw cracked and the drain tube elevated... lower it and check the level. If everything is to spec and not spewing fuel out an orifice you should be good to go.

Be carefull when you remount the carbs, I try and center them in the mount plates. Any stress to the lower mount boots by misalignment seems to lead to stress cracks and leaks shortly down the line. I always try and eye-ball the carb bank when they are ready to remount to see that they ALL seem to WANT to seat in the boots nicely.

thanks good info

Not sure about video cam, it seemed like a good idea at the time but it hasn't proved to be much useother than being able to see what I look like on cam. Big deal.

did everything in paragraph 2, i don't think these floats are hollow they appear to be a solid block of super lite styrofoam like material.

about pulling a micheal, happens to me all the time. if your in the mood for a funny story go to my post on Poor Man's Tip's and Fixes forum titled Making engine show ready 2/2/08, Read my response to danob11's post concerning using house as shop. That story is a great example of pulling a Micheal or Bob as it was.

paragraph's 4 and 5 duly noted.

thanks

bob

My floats are the earlier (86) type... hollow blow molded styrene... I guess SOME were prone to open at the seam and leak... devastating but repairable.

Yours are some type of foam? Heck, most foam I've seen will STILL soak up a bit... beads of plastic with air pockets between...

As long as you checked the level and fuel fed by the pump didn't show leaks, I sure BELIEVE you are ready for a remount...

Except I'm still a bit concerned WHERE you found those bits of "metal flake" and if you tried to start her, you might have drawn them further into the carbs?

I'm totally sympathetic to your efforts to get to the meet but REALLY glad that you decided to get it running "right" at home rather than some place down the road. I've had no luck on the road hoping for hope, so a few more EXTRA tools always seem to be on my bikes... always hoping it helps somebody else but a silent "gift" to myself.

:bighug:

My floats are the earlier (86) type... hollow blow molded styrene... I guess SOME were prone to open at the seam and leak... devastating but repairable.

Yours are some type of foam? Heck, most foam I've seen will STILL soak up a bit... beads of plastic with air pockets between...

As long as you checked the level and fuel fed by the pump didn't show leaks, I sure BELIEVE you are ready for a remount...

Except I'm still a bit concerned WHERE you found those bits of "metal flake" and if you tried to start her, you might have drawn them further into the carbs?

I'm totally sympathetic to your efforts to get to the meet but REALLY glad that you decided to get it running "right" at home rather than some place down the road. I've had no luck on the road hoping for hope, so a few more EXTRA tools always seem to be on my bikes... always hoping it helps somebody else but a silent "gift" to myself.

Floats seem fine, Metal flake only in first float bowl I opened and just 3 orfour flakes at most I blew through all carb ports and cleaned before reassembly,I feel positive i've cleared them out but time will tell all truth when I get them remounted. I think I've done all I can do.

As much as I'm sorry I'm not already there, I'd rather be here than on the side of the road. I believe confidence is where experience, wisdom, forethought and planning come togeteher. Or as my late father beat into my head all my life, If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Thanks for phone message, try again I had ringer turned off, i'll be up for a while and would love to talk to you.

OK I finished checking and cleaning float bowls, ports, valves ect on all 4 carbs and found crud in all of them but 1 & 2 were the worst. reassempled them and hooked them back up to test fuel line put them under pressure and no leaks. I set them on dry news paper and let them sit under pressure and not a drop came out of them. So I feel good to go to remount carb bank. This I'll do before I turn in but it's to late to crank the motor and wake the neighbors so I'll wait intill in the morning. see how it runs and make adjustments if needed.so i'll repost tomorrow.

For all that posted comments and help thank you very much, I sincerely appreciate your help and advice. I'll post winner of contest after successful test ride. Hopefully tomorrow.

Glad you found your problem, enjoy your trip to Daytona. Finally got my motor half-way clean yesterday after spending 6 hours getting a bird out of my house. Great way to waste a 60d day!

Ride safe!

Dan

Glad you found your problem, enjoy your trip to Daytona. Finally got my motor half-way clean yesterday after spending 6 hours getting a bird out of my house. Great way to waste a 60d day!

Ride safe!

Dan

a BB gun would work becarefull of glass in line of fire.