IGNORED

EMERG Help needed on Carb set up, Daytona is waiting

:sign09::sign09::sign09:Helpppppp.

I'm trying to wrap up bike rebuild project in time to make it to Daytona. My Atl riding buddies pulled out this morning

:900[1]::7_2_104[1]::7_2_102[1]::7_6_2[1]::7_6_3[1]: and Venturerider.org buddies are waiting :group cheers: and I'm still dealing with carb set up issues.:crying::fiddle::think::bawling::bang head::icon_smile_question:icon_smile_question:doh::sign green with env

So I'm asking, pleeding begging for help from you carb gurus in talking me through getting carbs set up.

:sign67::sign02::sign brain fart::You_Rock_Emoticon::sign bring it on::feedback::fingers crossed::sign cmon:

To help speed up the process I'm setting up the laptop in shop with web cam focused on project so those helping can see in real time video feed at the rate of 6 frames per minute.:photographing: The link for video feed is http://Webcamnow.com/DragonslayerBob

I will also be constantly monitoring this thread for feedback. Video cam should be online by 11:30am EST.

To make it interesting and fun I'm make a contest out of it. The person most helpful in helping me get issues solved in time to make it to Daytona will win a prize of thier choice between Daytona Bike Week 2008 souvenier or a On Board Liquid beverage dispenser kit (My Invention and product) with on line instructions on installation.:080402gudl_prv::mo money:

To get the ball rolling, this is where I'm at.

The new motor is installed cranked and running,

The air box is off, the diaphrams are all bouncing at different rates.

The carbs have slow gas leak which is pooling around top lip of intake boots then dripping down.

Choke is on.

When I decrease choke and increase throttle engine bogs down and dies.

During rebuild project I separated four carbs and installed new main diaphrams and coast enricher diaphrams, put back together and remounted to intake boots.

What Do I Do Now?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a stupid question, have you tried it with air filter and box cover on? THese things are sensitive to too much air coming in, even drilling extra holes in air box cover will upset them. Just tryin' to help.

Dan

I don't know much, Bob, but I know that a first gen won't run well with the airbox off, or the top of the airbox off, for that matter. It needs the restriction of the air for some reason. With the top of the box off you can cover it with your hand and it should smooth out.

Good luck, buddy! :thumbsup2:

gas leak first probly, float may have small piece of debrie, drain float bowls completely turn key on and toggle kill switch a few times this should pump a bit of gas through cabs and flush out debries. now close float bowl drains and put air box on bike will not run any where near right without airbox and filter in place. try this aand see where your at, you may have to drain floatbowls a couple times or more to clear float needles.

First things first Bob. The engine will run like crap with the top of the air cleaner off. The gas pooling is probably a bowl needle not closing and the bowl over filling.

Ps the webcam idea is cool....but I'm not getting anything??

Just a stupid question, have you tried it with air filter and box cover on? THese things are sensitive to too much air coming in, even drilling extra holes in air box cover will upset them. Just tryin' to help.

Dan

Man I can vouch for that. When I bouight it he '91 had a cover that looked like a piece of swiss cheese with foam over the holes to act as a some type of filter because some of the holes were drilled right into the area inside the filter. First thing I did was toss it and put a good one on. What a difference....:thumbsup2:

First things first Bob. The engine will run like crap with the top of the air cleaner off. The gas pooling is probably a bowl needle not closing and the bowl over filling.

Ps the webcam idea is cool....but I'm not getting anything??

try again it's up now

Gas leaking out might be on of the T-Connectors which feed the indivual Carbs.

If a Carb Bowl is overfloated, the Gas comes out of the Overflow Hose, which should NOT end up in this Carb/Motor Area.

nOT LEAKING FROM TOP GAS FEED TEES OR OVERFLOW TUBES.

The carbs have slow gas leak which is pooling around top lip of intake boots then dripping down.

Choke is on.

When I decrease choke and increase throttle engine bogs down and dies.

During rebuild project I separated four carbs and installed new main diaphrams and coast enricher diaphrams, put back together and remounted to intake boots.

What Do I Do Now?

Possible poor seal on one or more of the diaphrams, allowing fuel out & causing an lean condition?????

Also have you adjusted your mixture screws & Synced the carbs yet? The settings will probably be way off now, with the new parts installed.......

nOT YET i'M GONNA TRY TO CRANK NOW WITH AIR BOX BACK ON AS SOON AS i GET AIR BOX CRANKCASE VENT TUBE HOOKED BACK UP THEN WILL ATTACK SYNC SCREW,

i SPENT SOME TIME AT WAINWRIGHT A FEW YEARS AGO HOW IS THE WEATHER IN aLASKA NOW.

Air Box Back On Crankcase Vent Tube Hooked Up Choke Off Idle Screw Adjusted Ideling At 1100 Rpm

So who gets the goodies for suggesting the airbox?????????????????

You know thats all we're in it for!!!!!

Laughing with you,,

Dan

The fuel leak might be coming from the fuel bowl cover. I dusted mine with talc and THEN could see the weeping at the seal area...

I say stop all fuel leaks and THEN worry about getting it running... no sense wasting a fire extinguisher...