IGNORED

Tranformation has begun

Ventureless

My transformation to a Star Glide has begun. Not really to far other than removing the trunk. So far I have realized how easy it will be to replace the trunk fairly quick when needed. I only had to cut a few wires. Ones to the speakers and one to the led light on the trunk spoiler. Have already put quick disconnects on for when I do need the trunk. The cb and intercom wires are just tucked inside the left side speaker box as they will never get used so no need to connect them when using the trunk. So to reuse the trunk it will be a matter of 6 bolts and 6 quick disconnect wires. This weekend I will cut a plate to go over the trunk rack. I am thinking of making a hinged plate so I can get to the cb box. If I take the cb out of the box, it will be a nice place to keep registration, etc if I can make it easy to access. I will order a luggage rack of some sort to mount on the plate. I have an antenna to mount inside the fairing. So I won't have any big whip type antennas. Would have done more today, But I was working outside and it is to cold to stay out there to long.

Finally got some warmer, dryer weather to work on the bike for a few minutes. Got the stock radio antenna off and installed a new rubber amplified antenna. It is on the dash behind the bottom of the windshield. I was worried about the signal, but it actually works so much better than the stock one. Hopefully I will get the plate for the rear done this weekend. Then to figure out a backrest.

Finally got some warmer, dryer weather to work on the bike for a few minutes. Got the stock radio antenna off and installed a new rubber amplified antenna. It is on the dash behind the bottom of the windshield. I was worried about the signal, but it actually works so much better than the stock one. Hopefully I will get the plate for the rear done this weekend. Then to figure out a backrest.

Where did you get it?

Guest tx2sturgis

Looking good!

:happy34:

Try some ACF-50 on that rust. Works great on motorcycles and guns!

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/acf50.php

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30paBTt8Oko]www.youtube.com/watch?v=30paBTt8Oko[/ame]

It does attract dust, but on the underside of the pipes and frame, dust is better than rust!

Its a Canadian product that seems to be un-heard of here in the States, but its used by our military and worldwide....

Edited by tx2sturgis

Ok I haven't made anymore progress, but I do have everything I need to make my quick release passenger backrest. At least I think I do but I have a question. My plan is to take a strip of 1/4 inch steel and weld a piece of solid square piece right in the middle. Then I planned on getting longer bolts and bolting the strip across the 2 bolts that hold the top of the passenger grab rails. My question is will those 2 bolts or what they go through,l carry the weight? I know the trunk is bolted with 6 bolts and is pretty sturdy with a passenger leaning back.

And just to add some info about the backrest build, it will be like a trailer hitch turned up. The backrest from my trunk will be mounted to a piece of sheet metal which will be welded to a hollow steel square tube. That will then slide over the solid steel square mounted to the trunk rack. Then a pin will go through and lock the backrest on. Easy on and off just like a trailer hitch. And the piece coming up from the rack will be somewhat hidden when no backrest is on by the plate and luggage rack that will be mounted on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have a back plate cut out and most of the removable backrest ready. Everything still needs to be painted and then I will finish install. Attached are some pics of the removable backrest build. The welds aren't the best looking. I am still learning (just starting to learn).

Edited by Ventureless

• 2 weeks later...
Looking good!

:happy34:

Try some ACF-50 on that rust. Works great on motorcycles and guns!

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/acf50.php

It does attract dust, but on the underside of the pipes and frame, dust is better than rust!

Its a Canadian product that seems to be un-heard of here in the States, but its used by our military and worldwide....

To take care of the rust, I just bought the Harley exhaust from Freebird!!

Ok I have finished as much as I am going to do for now. Maybe get some ideas over the summer and do some more next winter. But hopefully after tomorrow's snow, it will be time to start riding daily again. More pics attached. Some with the backrest and some without.