IGNORED

Which road would YOU take?

Eck

when I went to Galena, I just followed any road that said North on it. some of the roads didn't even show up on google maps. but it was an adventure nontheless......:thumbsup2:

I will be doing the same in many places. I am getting a general idea of where and how I want to go.. Once I leave to go on this trip I will deviate from original plans many times I'm sure.

No doubt about it, it would be 287 for me, there are some GORGEOUS mountain lake areas up on 287 that you really dont want to miss!!

Something else that I personally would go out of my way to ride again is 14A going into Cody, the main road into Cody is 14 (crosses the Big Horn Mts) BUT you have to ride 14A (alternate route)!!! One of the passes on 14A took over 20 years to complete, the grades are over 10%, the views are spectacular!! Also, Little Big Horn Nat Park is a short ride above Sheridan (where 14/14A) come out east of Cody..

Thats my story and I'm stickin to it!!

Puc

So you mean the 14 that goes from Sheridan, WY to Lovell, WY? Not the 14 that goes to Greybull, WY, right? I think I rode that to possibly meet up with distant relatives in Powell, WY.

I think it's crazy to be there and not go over Beartooth Pass on 212 unless you think you'll pass thru again sometime. I would take either the Grand Loop Road (haven't myself but looks fun) or the Chief Joseph Hwy. (296) to get to the Beartooth Hwy. (212). This may cost you as much as a day to do but it'll be worth it.

I usually would do all of my journeys after Labor Day and found that National Parks and the like are much more manageable crowd-wise then. The West receives less precipitation in the Fall too, which I think is a plus. The downside is that it can get colder and sometimes even snowy and waterfalls tend to be subdued because of decreased stream flow in the fall. Days are shorter in the Fall too.

You might look at riding a loop of 212, 308, 72/120, and 296.

How long do you plan to stay in Yellowstone?

It can take a long time to get anywhere in those parts.

Edited by syscrusher
formatting

So you mean the 14 that goes from Sheridan, WY to Lovell, WY?

Yes this is the highway I plan on taking

I think it's crazy to be there and not go over Beartooth Pass on 212 unless you think you'll pass thru again sometime. I would take either the Grand Loop Road (haven't myself but looks fun) or the Chief Joseph Hwy. (296) to get to the Beartooth Hwy. (212). This may cost you as much as a day to do but it'll be worth it.

I plan on riding each of these routes (296 & 212) also while there

I usually would do all of my journeys after Labor Day and found that National Parks and the like are much more manageable crowd-wise then. The West receives less precipitation in the Fall too, which I think is a plus. The downside is that it can get colder and sometimes even snowy and waterfalls tend to be subdued because of decreased stream flow in the fall. Days are shorter in the Fall too.

I want to ride as soon as I can at the beginning of spring/ summer because I have other plans in the fall on eastern US.

You might look at riding a loop of 212, 308, 72/120, and 296.

I have these routes on my list to ride while there. Thanks!

We plan on being being in Cody, Billings, Red lodge, Yellowstone and West Yellowstone for about 3 to 4 days.

Eck, take a look at rt 120 thru Wind River canyon going North out of Riverton, Wy. it's a beautiful ride and ends in Thermopilis, while in Thermopilis there are public hot springs you can swim in, also take care while riding thru town, the local deer population thinks it was paved for them.

Get on google earth, be sure places, photos and panaramio are checked, then get directions from Riverton, Wy to Cooke City, Mt. it's a great ride with lots to see. The East Yellowstone entrance is 5 miles from Cooke City.

You'll probably want to get a room in Cooke City unless you have time to get to lodging in Yellowstone. Getting caught riding the in dark in Yellowstone can be scary, those bison blend into the darkness and you don't see them till they are right there.

This route you'll see Wind river canyon and Chief Joseph Hwy. We rode each both ways just to see it from both directions. :biker:

I would take either the Grand Loop Road (haven't myself but looks fun).....

I take that back, I have definitely ridden on the Grand Loop Road because that's how you get to many of the attractions in Yellowstone.

We plan on being being in Cody, Billings, Red lodge, Yellowstone and West Yellowstone for about 3 to 4 days.

The timetable may be ambitious but possible. It does take time though, especially in Yellowstone, lots of tour buses, speed restrictions, animals, etc. There are lots of really small cabins near Yellowstone Lake but cost $149 to stay. Good planning could get you into the Old Faithful Lodge. There's one opening for a single room July 18 for $121 for instance right now. Mammoth Hotel has lots more openings for $130. Good luck!

So you mean the 14 that goes from Sheridan, WY to Lovell, WY? Not the 14 that goes to Greybull, WY, right? I think I rode that to possibly meet up with distant relatives in Powell, WY.

I think it's crazy to be there and not go over Beartooth Pass on 212 unless you think you'll pass thru again sometime.

Yes, that is exactly the route I am speaking of, Your path if he is going west or, if he is going east out of Cody there is a sign that reads 14A (alternate) to the left and 14 to the right - take the left, stay on it thru Lovell and it rejoins 14 on the other side of the Bighorns..

I totally agree about Beartooth pass!!!

The timetable may be ambitious but possible. It does take time though, especially in Yellowstone, lots of tour buses, speed restrictions, animals, etc. There are lots of really small cabins near Yellowstone Lake but cost $149 to stay. Good planning could get you into the Old Faithful Lodge. There's one opening for a single room July 18 for $121 for instance right now. Mammoth Hotel has lots more openings for $130. Good luck!

Crusher hit the nail on the head!! We are tenters who normally just drop the tent in the bushes/sleep on the pavement in a parking lot or what ever BUT Yellowstone is one of the hardest places I have found to do that.. That said, even the campgrounds there fill up quickly at times - especially if you happen to there when something major is going on - like the Sturgis rally. It is a busy place during "normal" riding season (when its more likely to be warm)..

Eck, also keep in mind that early/late season riding, the probability of running into cold/snow/rain isnt just limited to the Yellowstone area.. Any Rocky Mountain related range or, drawing a line from the bottom of Michigan west.. Other than right along the west coast, anything north of that line can be questionable from mid september to Mid/late June (even in the high desert)..

Another interesting thing that I have experienced with Mountain riding is the best riding is from dawn till 1pm, start watching the skys really closely about one - something about that time of day that until 5ish in the evening is when the storms come thru (and they can be major).. I have experienced this in Mountain ranges all over the west.. Its gorgeous out there but it can be extremely dangerous and happen real quickly if your not keeping an eye on the weather.. Food for thought..

Puc

Eck, I've been on those roads and there is no bad choice. Like others have said it would be a shame to be in the area and miss Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Highway. If you plan to stop overnight in Cooke City you better have reservations. I believe there are only two maybe three places to stay there. You'll still see snow along the road in late July. I wouldn't plan on a trip over Beartooth before late mid to late June due to the weather. I know you've got an electric jacket and you may need it in the higher elevations.

Highway 12 over Lolo Pass is a great ride. I've got some photos posted from our trip to the west coast and the ones from Lolo Pass start at:

http://www.traynorphoto.com/WC2011/index_9.html

We were across Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth Pass in 2012. Photos from that leg of our trip starts here: http://traynorphoto.com/glacier_2012/index_10.html

Dennis

Eck, I've been on those roads and there is no bad choice. Like others have said it would be a shame to be in the area and miss Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Highway. If you plan to stop overnight in Cooke City you better have reservations. I believe there are only two maybe three places to stay there. You'll still see snow along the road in late July. I wouldn't plan on a trip over Beartooth before late mid to late June due to the weather. I know you've got an electric jacket and you may need it in the higher elevations.

Highway 12 over Lolo Pass is a great ride. I've got some photos posted from our trip to the west coast and the ones from Lolo Pass start at:

http://www.traynorphoto.com/WC2011/index_9.html

We were across Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth Pass in 2012. Photos from that leg of our trip starts here: http://traynorphoto.com/glacier_2012/index_10.html

Dennis,

Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Highway are both on my list already, as well as Hwy 12 from Lolo to Lewiston, they we are taking Hwy 129 south.

I appreciate the warning info of mid to late June ..(Thanks), Oh, and the heated jacket still fits and works great! Just used it last week in fact for a ride up into TN.

The photos are great, but they give me this "urge" to leave now ....:whistling: