IGNORED

Which road would YOU take?

Eck

Ok, here is the question for those of you who have been here before, and you have one of three choices of roads to to choose from. Which road would YOU take?

Choice # 1 = Hwy 89 north out of Yellowstone taking it up to Livingston, Montana......

Choice # 2 = Hwy 287 north/west up through Cameron and on to Three Forks?

Choice # 3 = Hwy 191 north to four corners

After taking ONE of these roads, I will be heading west to Missoula to pick up Hwy 12 south and take it all the way west through Walla Walla Oregon and down to Hwy 199 down to / through the Red wood Forest on Hwy 101.

I'm planning a road trip out west, and I have to choose which road is the best. (Hwy 89, Hwy 191 or Hwy 287)?

Edited by Eck

Ok, here is the question for those of you who have been here before, and you now only have one of two roads to choose from. Which road would YOU take?

Choice # 1 = Hwy 89 north out of Yellowstone taking it up to Livingston, Montana......

After taking ONE of these roads, I will be heading west to Missoula to pick up Hwy 12 south and take it all the way west through Walla Walla Oregon and down to Hwy 199 down to / through the Red wood Forest on Hwy 101.

I'm planning a road trip out west, and I have to choose which road is the best. (Hwy 89 or Hwy 287)?

When are you planning on this ride taking place?

Mike

No doubt about it, it would be 287 for me, there are some GORGEOUS mountain lake areas up on 287 that you really dont want to miss!!

Something else that I personally would go out of my way to ride again is 14A going into Cody, the main road into Cody is 14 (crosses the Big Horn Mts) BUT you have to ride 14A (alternate route)!!! One of the passes on 14A took over 20 years to complete, the grades are over 10%, the views are spectacular!! Also, Little Big Horn Nat Park is a short ride above Sheridan (where 14/14A) come out east of Cody..

Thats my story and I'm stickin to it!!

Puc

Mike

I am planning on starting this trip around end of May 2014, but not sure when I should leave and head that way or what the weather will be like when we get there

Eck

Edited by Eck

When I was out there in 2010 Rt. 287 was under construction and was 30 miles of MUD !! not a fun ride, we were leaving 4" deep ruts in the mud, 2 up & pulling a trailer :yikes: over 100 bikes went down in the mud the day before. Check on this before you take it.

If you go thru Casper, Wy then you need to/ have to, ride thru Wind River Canyon between Riverton and Thermopolis, Wy (be sure to stop and check out the Dam at the east end of the canyon) then on to Chief Joseph Hwy to the end then turn right, up & over Beartooth pass, or Left into Cooke City (food, lodging and gas). This ride makes for one of the best days of motorcycling you'll ever do.

Cooke City is just a few miles to the east entrance of Yellowstone.

Mike

I am planning on starting this trip around end of May 2014, but not sure when I should leave and head that way or what the weather will be like when we get there

Eck

I was just thinking if I get the chance I might ride out to Walla Walla and say hello.

Mike

Mike

Eck

May is too soon. Most of the mountain passes don't open till mid/late June. Beartooth (Red Lodge) is in the opposite direction from 287 out of Yellowstone. Unless of course and it's well worth it to ride to Red Lodge and back :-)

May is too soon. Most of the mountain passes don't open till mid/late June. Beartooth (Red Lodge) is in the opposite direction from 287 out of Yellowstone. Unless of course and it's well worth it to ride to Red Lodge and back :-)

You got that right, May is definitly to early for that region!! They are still snowmobiling out there into april at times.. I like late July into August for northwest mountain riding, the only problem with that though is Yellowstone is CRAZY busy at that time - the lines and lines of motorhomes can drive ya nuts!!

May is too soon, the Beartooth might not even be open at that time. When we were there during the Cody International in July there was quite a bit of snow on the sides of the road past Red Lodge to the summit.

When Mary and I went to Cruzen the Kootenays in June through the North Cascades we just about froze ourselves. During the trip to Cody the previous year in July the same area was just on the cool side. Quite a difference a month can make.

I would also like to bring to your attention that Venture West will happen June 19th-21st in The Dalles Oregon. Hint, hint.

As for 89 or 191 my choice would be 191 just because less of it is in a valley. Not being the navigator for the trip I can't remember which of the two we took. Either SilvrT or Sailor would be able to confirm which one we took though. Whichever it was a nice ride for a motorcycle.

I was just thinking if I get the chance I might ride out to Walla Walla and say hello.

Mike

Mike,

I will be in Clarkston, and may head south from there thru Devils Canyon, which means I may not go trough Walla Walla. However, When I get closer to the day/ date I can let you know. I would enjoy meeting up with you.

May is too soon, the Beartooth might not even be open at that time. When we were there during the Cody International in July there was quite a bit of snow on the sides of the road past Red Lodge to the summit.

When Mary and I went to Cruzen the Kootenays in June through the North Cascades we just about froze ourselves. During the trip to Cody the previous year in July the same area was just on the cool side. Quite a difference a month can make.

I would also like to bring to your attention that Venture West will happen June 19th-21st in The Dalles Oregon. Hint, hint.

As for 89 or 191 my choice would be 191 just because less of it is in a valley. Not being the navigator for the trip I can't remember which of the two we took. Either SilvrT or Sailor would be able to confirm which one we took though. Whichever it was a nice ride for a motorcycle.

That's what I was looking for Camos, someone who knows what the weather would be out there in May /June-ish time frame. So it would be better to be in that area around end of July / Aug it sounds like.

(Quote) Venture West will happen June 19th-21st in The Dalles Oregon. Hint, hint

Ah ha.. I didn't realize this.. but if June is to soon for me to be in that area then I may not make this event.

Interesting this should come up ! ( Which road to take ) ??? :stirthepot::stirthepot: :whistling::whistling:

Just the other day I was looking at a U.S. Map-- I noticed something that I have not been concerned with for many years. ( Since before interstate freeways ) !

OK, most of us usually travel East and West, ( well most of the time ) via the interstates.

But remember, there are still a lot of the old U.S. Highways, running North and South Border to border !!

The " Odd Numbered " U.S. highways. Might be interesting to ride some of these routes !! Very little traffic, maby better mom and pop resturants, maby a few more old interesting towns, to stop at , and hey, maby ever a better Steak House, here and there.

From Mississippii River to West coast , check out these routes on a U.S map.

Routes, 14, 50, 54, 61, 71, 81, 83, 85, 95, 97, 99, 101, 191.

And I'm sure there are more, East of the River !!

Well, just a thought, " The Road, Less Traveled " as they say ?? :cool10: :whistling::whistling:

Ok, here is the question for those of you who have been here before, and you have one of three choices of roads to to choose from. Which road would YOU take?

Choice # 3 = Hwy 191 north to four corners

I'm planning a road trip out west, and I have to choose which road is the best. (Hwy 89, Hwy 191 or Hwy 287)?

Hwy 191 is the only way to go, I would take 287 about 15 miles after it splits off of 191 to ride along the lakes then turn around and come back to 191 north. On 287 after you leave the lakes it is a pretty boring ride. I have been on all 3 and as a whole like 191 better.

In life, it is all about choices we make, every single thing you do, you are choosing a direction. . And how the direction of our lives comes down to the choices we make. This is true with every act. Only you have the power to choose for yourself.

When you have to make a choice and don't make it, that in itself is a choice."

Oh! Sorry, I was getting philisophical there for a minute. Ah!....NEVER mind.:whistling:

Hwy 12 is my favorite road I ever road, I road it from Lolo Mt to Aberdeen WA then took 101 south. When we came out of Yellowstone we took 287 to Twin Bridges then 41 south to Dillion where we spent the night. Went north on 15 to 43 west which goes thru parts of the Beverhead National Forest to Chief Joesph Pass then north on 93 to Lolo. Beautiful riding all the way. All sorts of little western themed towns all the way. Which ever way you go you will love riding thru Northern Idaho.

Hwy 12 is my favorite road I ever road, I road it from Lolo Mt to Aberdeen WA then took 101 south. When we came out of Yellowstone we took 287 to Twin Bridges then 41 south to Dillion where we spent the night. Went north on 15 to 43 west which goes thru parts of the Beverhead National Forest to Chief Joesph Pass then north on 93 to Lolo. Beautiful riding all the way. All sorts of little western themed towns all the way. Which ever way you go you will love riding thru Northern Idaho.

I have Hwy 12 (west) from Lolo Mt to Lewiston ID, then I am taking Hwy 129 south thru WA and into OR on Hwy 3 to Enterprise.

I plan to Take Hwy 191 north from Yellowstone to Bozeman then I-90 west to Missoula and then Hwy 12 thru Lolo.