IGNORED

Bluetooth headsets

Venturous Randy

I have used the Chatterbox 20(I think) headsets that are tethered from rider to passenger for about the last 15 years. I have replaced different parts of them a couple of times, and they work OK, but I am looking for something else. I am looking at something different that I know nothing about, including Bluetooth itself.

One of the things I am concerned about is battery life. Most of these note battery life around five hours. This was the big problem on the early Chatterbox units and they were not rechargeable, but I spent about a buck for an AAA battery holder and wired into the Chatterbox unit and Velcroed it on to the helmet and it works great. Chatterbox should have done this.

My phone is Bluetooth capable and I believe my GPS is also. But as I have said, I know nothing about this. So, anybody got any suggestions? I will attack one that I looked at.

RandyA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Bluetooth-Multi-Interphone-headsets-1600-feet-3-riders-can-connect-/190653629607?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

Lori and I have Scala Rider sets and we love them. we have the G4 sets but...http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/scala-rider-g9-powerset.html?gclid=CM65xJK4z7sCFQtBQgodjDUAog

They are bluetooth to telephone and music/radio as well as inter-calm. We chat back and forth like we are in a room together never thinking we are in separate helmets. They do not work with Yamaha system but there is a Bluetooth adapter online available that I am told by a Harley rider works with the 5 pin set up.

I bought these and love them

Sena-SMH10D-11-Motorcycle-Bluetooth-Microphone

I bought two of these units too. They work for better than 8 hrs on a charge (max estimated at 12hrs) but came with a 12v charger and a wall charger and the sound is great. Come as a single or double pack.

http://senabluetooth.com/product/intercoms/smh10/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-smh10-intercom/sena-smh10-part-2.htm

We wear half helmets 98% of the time.

I got the Scala G4 a couple of years ago but could not hear.

Needed something that fit's the ear, not the helmet.

Sold them to a VR member who was real happy with their full helmet results.

So,, helmet style is important,,, full helmet or 3/4?

(anyone use something bluetooth that works fine with half?)

Mike G.

I dont know what your helmet speaker output looks like. But I was in a conversation with some folks on making a headset for the shorty I have. (wired). but a fellow had discribed taking the wires that go the helmet peakers and making a std earphone jack on it and wearing ear buds.

I have made a earphone jack on my bike and ran the cable all the way up next to the OEM cable for just this reason. With the shorty I find it hard to hear music etc above 40-50 mph.

.... there is a Bluetooth adapter online available that I am told by a Harley rider works with the 5 pin set up.

What I would want is something that would connect to the bike's intercom and allow cordless connection to the helmets. I like using the cb during group rides and when I'm on the highway/interstate and would want to know if using this product and bluetooth head sets would provide this capability.

Sena SM10 - http://senabluetooth.com/product/adapters/sm10/

We wear half helmets 98% of the time.

I got the Scala G4 a couple of years ago but could not hear.

Needed something that fit's the ear, not the helmet.

anyone use something bluetooth that works fine with half?

Mike G.

I Modified my G4 and removed the hard-wired speakers and installed a 2.5mm jack. I would use standard ear bud headphones when riding with my 1/2 helmet. There were instruction on the ADV forum, and someone who would perform the mod for you.

We have two sets of Bluetooth units. We have a Scala Rider Q2 set, and a Sena SMH10 Dual set. The Sena is our favorite because the sound is considerably better than the Scala, also, they are easier to operate while wearing gloves. The Sena headsets connect to each other faster when you first turn them on. I keep the Scala's as a backup incase the Sena's ever crap out.

Having said that, there is a product on the market called UCLEAR that grabs my interest because it is a boomless unit. The microphone is integrated into the ear speaker. Has anyone had any experience with this product?

I would be cautious of the "no boom mic" for reasons of wind noise. I'm guessing they are kind of like a normal bluetooth headset you use in the car or in the airport? I get enough wind noise on my J&M's. And they have the wind socks and are usually under a visor on a 3/4 type helmet.

Mike, from the pictures I have seen of your system you should be able to cut the wires going to the speakers for the helmet. Install a 3.5mm jack for like ear buds and velcro it to the helmet (the jack) and use ear buds to hear. The wires are going to be tiny tinny and will burn up quick so be carful. Best luck I had with doing the small wires was to use a small aligator clip on the wire to act as a heat sink. If your not comfortable doing it maybe a friend that messes with ham radios or computers would do it for you.

Edited by djh3

What I would want is something that would connect to the bike's intercom and allow cordless connection to the helmets. I like using the cb during group rides and when I'm on the highway/interstate and would want to know if using this product and bluetooth head sets would provide this capability.

Sena SM10 - http://senabluetooth.com/product/adapters/sm10/

Just a quick look at the Sena SM10 leads me to believe you could connect the Yamaha into it via the 5 pin adapter but would only have sound because the other end only is a 3.5mm stereo plug. You wouldn't have the ability to transmit! You could hear the CB but not respond back.

Just a quick look at the Sena SM10 leads me to believe you could connect the Yamaha into it via the 5 pin adapter but would only have sound because the other end only is a 3.5mm stereo plug. You wouldn't have the ability to transmit! You could hear the CB but not respond back.

Not necessarily correct. You can use a stereo 3.5mm plug and have transmit on one leg and receive on other leg of the plug with DIGITAL AUDIO. This is how most headphones included with iPhone/Android have the mic built into the cord.

Not necessarily correct. You can use a stereo 3.5mm plug and have transmit on one leg and receive on other leg of the plug with DIGITAL AUDIO. This is how most headphones included with iPhone/Android have the mic built into the cord.

No, he IS correct. As he said the SM10 will not let you transmit (talk) only receive audio. What you say is true as in what the iPhone does but the SM10 does not. My iPhone has a 4 poll 3.5mm jack, gnd, right, left, mic.

Edited by aharbi

I have seen a small black box on a harley site that plugs into the 5 pin and powers up, it bluetooth connects everything, I spoke with a fellow on a harley trike and he said it took a few tries to find a unit that worked from new but yes he had full use of cb and sound through bluetooth..... I am looking for a link to it.

We have two sets of Bluetooth units. We have a Scala Rider Q2 set, and a Sena SMH10 Dual set. The Sena is our favorite because the sound is considerably better than the Scala, also, they are easier to operate while wearing gloves. The Sena headsets connect to each other faster when you first turn them on. I keep the Scala's as a backup incase the Sena's ever crap out.

Having said that, there is a product on the market called UCLEAR that grabs my interest because it is a boomless unit. The microphone is integrated into the ear speaker. Has anyone had any experience with this product?

I have friends that got the UCLEAR and said it worked great for them. They are both on Harleys and both have full face helmets. You may get different feed back on 3/4 helmets.