IGNORED

Texas Declared Disaster Area due to winter storm

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Wow. Most of Texas is now declared a Disaster Area due to the severe winter storm. And here I sit playing on the internet. Doesnt feel like a disaster, really.

Yeah its damn cold out there....no doubt. And icy in places and some snow. And wind...its more like being in Wyoming in the dead of Winter...but not as cold. Or windy. Or icy.

But really Governor Perry?

A disaster? :think:

http://governor.state.tx.us/news/proclamation/19153/

[b

A disaster?[/b] :think:

Sounds like a Mayor in Toronto a number of years ago Mel Lastman, he called in the Army to help clear snow after a storm. Made Toronto the laughing stock of Canada!:snow2:

Oh well.......it's all better now.......the current Mayor Rob Ford just smokes "Crack"! :happy-emoticon:

News to me too. Interesting. Although I will say that I saw a number of roll overs today while out...

The low tomorrow night is 4 (Yes, that is F not C). I think I need to go find my long pants...

Sounds like y'all are getting worse weather than we are here on the "wet coast" of Canada. While it's been a tad cold ( -5 c overnight, + 1 to 3 daytime), we've had relatively clear skies and very little wind. Can't say the same for the interior regions tho ... bitterly cold and snow in those areas.

I do hope this isn't the "calm before the storm" coz it can get real ugly around here.

Guest tx2sturgis

I do hope this isn't the "calm before the storm" coz it can get real ugly around here.

Yeah. Thanks to global 'warming', it is 16 degrees fahrenheit outside my house right now.

Remember guys, we have large herds of cattle, other livestock, large open sided dairies, millions of acres of food crops, and thousands of flocks of over-wintering migratory waterfowl in this area and throughout the state....its NOT a good thing to mess with us that way.

:moon:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Hey Brian,

It is cold. I actually plugged in the battery tender yesterday because I may not be riding for another week or so. I've got one pair of insulated blue jeans that get worn every couple of years. I have worn them twice this year already. Saw an interview on Fox news, everybody was saying how cold it was til they came across a nice lady from Alaska, she said it was like a spring day....It is all in your perspective.

Cold yes, disaster no.

stay warm

Bill

Yeah. Thanks to global 'warming', it is 16 degrees fahrenheit outside my house right now.

Remember guys, we have large herds of cattle, other livestock, large open sided dairies, millions of acres of food crops, and thousands of flocks of over-wintering migratory waterfowl in this area and throughout the state....its NOT a good thing to mess with us that way.

:moon:

Means higer prices for eveyone.

Sounds like y'all are getting worse weather than we are here on the "wet coast" of Canada. While it's been a tad cold ( -5 c overnight, + 1 to 3 daytime), we've had relatively clear skies and very little wind. Can't say the same for the interior regions tho ... bitterly cold and snow in those areas.

Sounds pretty nice to me!

If I only had beam time now so I could go to Canada to be warm...

You have that opinion because you live in the middle of nowhere; Lipan I think. Last time I was out that way, I think I rode 1/2 day without even seeing another vehicle. There is a quarter of a million people in the metroplex without water, power or phones and no fireplaces like I'm sure you have. Wanna trade with one of em?

Herb

Wow. Most of Texas is now declared a Disaster Area due to the severe winter storm. And here I sit playing on the internet. Doesnt feel like a disaster, really.

Yeah its damn cold out there....no doubt. And icy in places and some snow. And wind...its more like being in Wyoming in the dead of Winter...but not as cold. Or windy. Or icy.

so, typically if a disaster is declared, everyone with a loss will be able to apply for really cheap low interest loans from the fed govt... hhmmmmmmm.... interesting..... talk about a pro-active governor... how about declaring minnesota a disaster... temps below zero degrees fahrenheit, 8 inches of snow on the ground where I am, 28 inches of snow fell up north by silver bay, mn.... hhhmmmm.. where is my governor when I need him?? but then, I guess I didn't have a loss :sign woo hoo:

Guest tx2sturgis
You have that opinion because you live in the middle of nowhere; Lipan I think. Last time I was out that way, I think I rode 1/2 day without even seeing another vehicle. There is a quarter of a million people in the metroplex without water, power or phones and no fireplaces like I'm sure you have. Wanna trade with one of em?

Herb

Your point is valid, but when I wrote the post, the governor's proclamation included these counties out here in the flats...my home area, which is nearly 400 miles from the metro....and of course the DFW metro area is not out here in the flats.

I can understand declaring a state of emergency previous to the event, or even disaster, AFTER the event, and mainly in the counties affected. My point was that Wyoming and Montana and North Dakota (and other states) can have this type of weather for weeks on end.

Also, another point of the post was to introduce some of the northern members on this forum to the winters that we DO have in Texas...occasionally.

Please see my later post titled 'chilled to the bone'.

I had no intention to make light of the trouble people are having. That apparently is the way you took it.

By the way: This 'nowhere' as you put it, is a productive area and provides food, clothing, natural gas, dairy products, beef and electricity for your area...some of it directly. These industries and vendors can be seriously hampered by single digit temps and roads closed due to ice.

You guys be careful, take all due care, and stay warm.

:cool17:

[/b] :think:

Sounds like a Mayor in Toronto a number of years ago Mel Lastman, he called in the Army to help clear snow after a storm. Made Toronto the laughing stock of Canada!:snow2:

Oh well.......it's all better now.......the current Mayor Rob Ford just smokes "Crack"! :happy-emoticon:

I hate to hafta be the one to tell ya, BUT, Toronto was the laughingstock of Canada LLLOOOONNg before that:yikes:.....and the way Rob Ford is going it isnt going to end anytime soon......:rotfl:

Brian

Edited by friesman

Guest tx2sturgis

I hate to hafta be the one to tell ya, BUT, Toronto was the laughingstock of Canada LLLOOOONNg before that:yikes:.....and the way Rob Ford is going it isnt going to end anytime soon......:rotfl:

Brian

Can you correct your post please? I didnt type any of the text you quoted.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
I apologize, I dont even know what I did there to get your name involved...:yikes:

Brian

No worries. I get lost on here sometimes myself.

BTW...have yall got a disaster declaration yet? I notice your temp widget says -16. That seems more like home territory for Sasquatch!

I just got off the phone with my daughter in California, they are getting some of that cold snap too Brian.. She grew up in Michigan and is very familiar with how cold climate homes and businesses are built totally different than warm climate homes.. Natural disasters come in many forms..

I feel sorry for you folks out in the warmer climates that are dealing with this stuff!! It aint no fun. I KNOW from touring the west that there has to be many many folks living in the desert climates who really need our thoughts and prayers right now (homeless, indian reservations, back country dwellers AND metro dwellers).. Life can get disasterous FAST when your freezing and have no water cause of frozen pipes... People can die!

Anyway, my thoughts and prayers go out to all of them..

Puc

Guest Donna Shields

It's all about being able to get Federal funding if needed. Sounds like he is just planning for the possibility of potential future problems that may arise.