IGNORED

New owner again AND again~!

Thanks for the info. I'm just learning about the bike. I once owned one for a short while but a guy turned left in front of me and well that was that. Broke my wrist all to crap, I was an terminal leave in the service (had 5 days to go) the military rescinded my retirement and discharge. I remained on AD for 18 more months. Talk about a fouled up life...

You say it is a 1985 with a 1300cc engine. Since there was no 1300 in 1985, someone put the 1300 into the 1985. What is the engine number (left rear of the engine case, behind the cover, over the middle gear)?

The number I found is in a cast in box shape with parallel lines across it, much like a phonograph finish you see on some precision machined surfaces. The number is

"59J-00141 (followed by a very small "0" (zero) or "O" (OH).

You say it is a 1985 with a 1300cc engine. Since there was no 1300 in 1985, someone put the 1300 into the 1985. What is the engine number (left rear of the engine case, behind the cover, over the middle gear)?

Here is the info on the 85:

I found this number on the left side of the rider below the fuel pump (approx.)

Engine #59J-001416 (last digit updated to "6" Thanks Prarriehammer!.

Build date 12/84.

VIN JAY59J00FA001416.

It's interesting how the number on the block is somewhat represented in the VIN.

I cannot find any site that can tell me (using the numbers) what size engine this bike came with or what engine it is. All the sites I found don't cover Ventures.

Anybody got any info?

:lightbulb::lightbulb::lightbulb:

Edited by dna9656
new info

You may be one of the lucky guys on your 85. With the serial number 1416, you are the closest I have ever seen to the 2nd gear fix with the new and improved thrust washer. I believe the fix was on 1413. I have an 85 with the serial number in the 5000+ range.

If you look at the top of the page under VR History, you can get some better information on your bike.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Here is the info on the 85:

I found this number on the left side of the rider below the fuel pump (approx.)

Engine #59J-00141o.

Build date 12/84.

VIN JAY59J00FA001416.

It's interesting how the number on the block is somewhat represented in the VIN.

I cannot find any site that can tell me (using the numbers) what size engine this bike came with or what engine it is. All the site I found don't cover Ventures.

Anybody got any info?

:lightbulb::lightbulb::lightbulb:

Please excuse me if my replies to your post seem condescending and arrogant for that is not my intention.

I believe that your engine number is 1416. Perhaps the number stamp is slightly imperfect, thus the "o" as the last digit is actually the "6" minus the curved part.

The engine number and the last digits of the VIN will match in an unmolested bike. So, it appears that your engine came with that frame.

The "59J" part of the VIN and of the engine number is correct for a 1985 Venture, thus it is a 1198 cc (1200) engine. In 1986, Yamaha increased the engine size to 1294 cc (1300). The starting engine serial number for a 1986 1300 engine would have "1NL" where your 1985 engine has "59J". The frame serial number (VIN) on a 1986 would be JYA1NL00*GA000101 (starting serial).

Thank you for posting your 1985 VIN. I have been compiling Venture VINs and adding them to a database. The build date of 12/84 is also informative.

Please excuse me if my replies to your post seem condescending and arrogant for that is not my intention.

I believe that your engine number is 1416. Perhaps the number stamp is slightly imperfect, thus the "o" as the last digit is actually the "6" minus the curved part.

The engine number and the last digits of the VIN will match in an unmolested bike. So, it appears that your engine came with that frame.

The "59J" part of the VIN and of the engine number is correct for a 1985 Venture, thus it is a 1198 cc (1200) engine. In 1986, Yamaha increased the engine size to 1294 cc (1300). The starting engine serial number for a 1986 1300 engine would have "1NL" where your 1985 engine has "59J". The frame serial number (VIN) on a 1986 would be JYA1NL00*GA000101 (starting serial).

Thank you for posting your 1985 VIN. I have been compiling Venture VINs and adding them to a database. The build date of 12/84 is also informative.

I apologize to you for misreading your post, sometimes posts get misconstrued.

:whistling:

I apologize to you for misreading your post, sometimes posts get misconstrued.

:whistling:

Apology accepted and I am sorry for my apparent curtness.

As for the 1985 transmission repair, attached is a scan of the Tech Bulletin M85-014, showing the Venture models affected and the cut-off point for the afflicted engines.