IGNORED

Someone let their bike fall into mine today :(

LilBeaver

Well, I headed out to the parking lot from my office today (after a very very VERY long and hard day at work) and saw my mirror was tweaked a little funny. As I put my bag in the trunk, put on my helmet I thought no big deal, it may have vibrated a little loose or something -- well, turns out that was not the case at all. After closer inspection I found that the mirror was forced, quite hard I might add, into the position that it is in and also left a large-hand sized dent along with a 2.5" (long) and very deep scratch in the left side of my fuel tank. It felt like the handlebars might be slightly tweaked but I do not know for sure. Other than the mirror, damage to the tank and possible handlebar tweakage I did not see any other damage [nothing on the fairing, seat, side of the engine or saddlebags].

I did not see any note anywhere on my bike and my hours are long enough during the day that lots of people came and left in the time my bike was parked [in the bike-only parking] so I have no idea who dropped their bike into mine.

My workplace does have its own [legitimate] police force, so I will be filing a report with them first thing in the morning and I suppose I will be calling my insurance company as well. :(

Don't know why, I just felt like sharing... Hope everyone had a better day than I did.

That being said, I do fully realize that it could have been a lot worse -- from what I can tell (1) no one was injured [i assume the deuce that didn't keep their bike upright or leave a note was not there nor was their bike] (2) the damage could have been far worse (3) etc etc...

I just find it harder and harder to not be more bitter towards people when the 'classy' individuals, like this one, wander among us....

%%%

P.S.: I am fully insured so I am just out the deductible and whatever this will do to my premium, unless I can find the individual responsible

Guest tx2sturgis

Dang....sorry to hear this for sure. Was there any security cams nearby? Actually it sounds to me like a car bumped it. I've had that happen. Unless a cage cant get any where near the bike...of course..

Tanks are spendy...might be better to find one on ebay and bite the bullet...save that insurance for a BIG claim. And I dont mean anything fraudulent or false...just that if something else minor were to happen, and another claim is submitted in what...2 years? ...you can be hurting trying to find decent insurance rates...

Or at least, thats what I do.

Feel your pain. Sometimes co-workers can be real a-holes. Frustrating as hell as someone you know did the damage and is not man enough to own up. :mad: Hope damage is not too bad.

:322:

It does not LOOK too bad, but I know it will be an expensive fix no matter what I do...

Dang....sorry to hear this for sure. Was there any security cams nearby? Actually it sounds to me like a car bumped it. I've had that happen. Unless a cage cant get any where near the bike...of course..

Tanks are spendy...might be better to find one on ebay and bite the bullet...save that insurance for a BIG claim. And I dont mean anything fraudulent or false...just that if something else minor were to happen, and another claim is submitted in what...2 years? ...you can be hurting trying to find decent insurance rates...

Or at least, thats what I do.

I do not know of any cameras that record and observe this particular parking lot area, however, I am going to ask around tomorrow [when 'normal' people are at work because one never knows. I hope that one of the cameras pointed that direction has a recorder attached to it.

The dedicated motorcycle parking is situated in a space that is completely surrounded by barricades where a car COULD get to it but it would involve driving up on some grass [to get around the barricades] and then down the curb into the bike area -- hence my near certainty on it not being a car.

As far as the insurance rates go, I have never filed a claim on any of my vehicles in all my years of driving; have been with my current insurance company for what... uh... 8+ years?

Anyway -- I have some thinkin' to do... Joy. I will be doing some 'window' shopping at least. Since it is not all that bad, I will most definitely be heading over to see a certain duet Wednesday night... Or maybe I'll dust off the '78 hmmmm :think:

Thanks for the input :thumbsup2:

Years ago when I worked at a manufacturing plant, I was a team leader. One employee was screwing around on a machine he wasnt trained for and broke it. It was reported to me and I reported it to my supervisor. Needless to say the dillhole got reprimanded pretty harshly, and he should've been. So everyday the employee made off handed comments about how we would get whats coming to us. Each day after work he would always make it a point to walk out the door twirling his keys in his hand. Sure enough after a week or so, my one year old pickup got keyed from front to back down the passenger side. My supervisor called him after work at home, and chewed his a## and made a few threatening remarks to the scumbag as well. Supervisor shouldnt have done that, the scumbag turned on his answering machine and recorded it. After he recorded it he took it to the authorities. My supervisor almost got fired etc, and we couldnt do anything to the loser because it was known that we were looking for him. Nobody saw him do it, and there were no cameras in the lot either. So he got away with it. He quit a few weeks later and I havent seen him since. I think he moved away and I'm glad he did, everybody at the plant knew he did it too, just couldnt prove it. I feel your pain, my ordeal got real expensive......

Years ago when I worked at a manufacturing plant, I was a team leader. One employee was screwing around on a machine he wasnt trained for and broke it. It was reported to me and I reported it to my supervisor. Needless to say the dillhole got reprimanded pretty harshly, and he should've been. So everyday the employee made off handed comments about how we would get whats coming to us. Each day after work he would always make it a point to walk out the door twirling his keys in his hand. Sure enough after a week or so, my one year old pickup got keyed from front to back down the passenger side. My supervisor called him after work at home, and chewed his a## and made a few threatening remarks to the scumbag as well. Supervisor shouldnt have done that, the scumbag turned on his answering machine and recorded it. After he recorded it he took it to the authorities. My supervisor almost got fired etc, and we couldnt do anything to the loser because it was known that we were looking for him. Nobody saw him do it, and there were no cameras in the lot either. So he got away with it. He quit a few weeks later and I havent seen him since. I think he moved away and I'm glad he did, everybody at the plant knew he did it too, just couldnt prove it. I feel your pain, my ordeal got real expensive......

People such as him usually have put enough in the "bank of karma" to get whats coming to them. Sadly, most times we do not see it. Just be glad that A-hole isn't around.

Wow -- Classy...

+1 to being a good thing he is not around anymore.

Sorry to hear this. I too have had an episode or two, similar to this. I just feel violated when this happens. I could handle it much better if someone would man - up and look me in the eye and say sorry. Sounds like the parking at Tech.

Bill

Sorry to hear this. I too have had an episode or two, similar to this. I just feel violated when this happens. I could handle it much better if someone would man - up and look me in the eye and say sorry. Sounds like the parking at Tech.

Bill

Right on with the parking lot.

And agreed with how it feels -- I do not know exactly why but yeah, if someone were to come up and just say "sorry man, I lost my footing and it went over" or whatever happened it would be a lot easier to deal with even if I am still out the cash.

Oh well.

Turns out there ARE video cameras that overlook a few of these lots, so there is a chance that, at a minimum, I can confirm my suspicion as to what actually happened.

My former employer backed into mine last year. He did not have the b@ll$ to admit it. Found my fender paint under his rear bumper.

Wow -- hard to explain that one, eh?

Guest tx2sturgis

I've never thought that the Venture, or any large Japanese touring bike, needed an alarm system, especially one with a remote pager. Hell...NOBODY steals these bikes. Period.

But this event makes me think about that again.

Hmmm.....

:think:

I've never thought that the Venture, or any large Japanese touring bike, needed an alarm system, especially one with a remote pager. Hell...NOBODY steals these bikes. Period.

But this event makes me think about that again.

[...]

If I was 'notified' I could have been out the door and to my bike in less than 2 minutes, plenty of time to have seen someone lift their bike up and leave... That being said, this could have happened anywhere and to any bike. Just happened to be my bike this time. I suspect if the venture was any lighter or had I parked even slightly differently it would have gone over and I would have a lot more damage to deal with...

I suppose this is a risk I take parking my bike where I do... Likewise for any one of us for anywhere we park...

Sorry that happened to you.Im sure it sucks big time. A former member here, Let Him Ride, also had his bike backed into while parked last week. He has the 03 RSV with the 4500 buck turquoise/indian mural motif paint job. At least the guy that hit his bike came into the store and looked for him. His bike is now at the shop awaiting the insurance adjuster. Plenty of scratches and the HD trunk he has on there had the lid ripped off.