IGNORED

Replacing Clutch Diaphragm spring bolts

I replaced my clutch diaphragm with an EBC and noticed that the 6 bolts holding the spring in placed seemed stretched at bit. Might be part of the reason I was getting high torque clutch slippage. I haven't seen it recommended but I would think that after 25 years of being stretched that it would be a great idea to replace them as part of the clutch spring swap out. I also found a slight glazing on the plates and did the cross hatch sanding on these to knock it off.

Just wanted to let you know what I ran into.

Rick F.

Hey Cimmer,

In the kit I offer in the Classifieds for the MKI VR, (1983 to 1985) I send 6 new bolts because those bolts restrain 6 compression springs, and I have seen those bolts break when new, heavy duty springs are added to the clutch. On the MKII VR's, (1986 to 1993) VR's, the "shoulder" of the bolt will bottom out before the threads will bottom in the tapped hole. If the bolts are tightened too tight, you could see the thread closest to the shoulder of the bolt elongate. Replacement would be wise if this is the case. At 6 to 8 foot pounds, stretching those grade 8 bolts is pretty uncommon. As RandyA mentioned, the clutch diaphragm spring doesn't have enough tension to stretch them either. Sanding the steel clutch plates was a good move, and common on a clutch friction disc replacement. Congrats on rebuilding your clutch! :thumbsup2:

Earl

The bolts call for 5.8ft pounds and my mind screwed up and was torquing them to 8 ft lbs. I ended up breaking just one but the others did stretch right where you said. I think my Harbor Freight torque wrench is going to be replaced with a high quality one very soon.

I have yet to get a test ride in as the weather went cold and wet on me but I am still hoping to get one in before there isnt a chance..

thanks guys..

Rick F.

The bolts call for 5.8ft pounds and my mind screwed up and was torquing them to 8 ft lbs. I ended up breaking just one but the others did stretch right where you said. I think my Harbor Freight torque wrench is going to be replaced with a high quality one very soon.

If you are going to buy another torque wrench, buy a torque wrench with inch/pound calibration rather than foot/pound. The specified 5.8ft/lb is at the low end of the range for most foot/pound calibrated torque wrenches. Calibration, especially on the cheap torque wrenches, is probably inaccurate at the extremes of their intended range.

The specified torque of 5.8 foot pounds is equal to 69.6 inch/pounds.

When a low ftlb torque is called for, I don't bother torquing them. Snug with a 1/4" rachet is close enough. I think it's anal torquing to 5.8ftlbs. I've never torqued clutch bolts yet, and have never had a problem....

Some people have the mechanical experience and feel to not need a torque wrench all of the time.

Other people should never tighten anything without a torque wrench.

I have even seen people that should not tighten anything even with a torque wrench.:doh:

Some people have the mechanical experience and feel to not need a torque wrench all of the time.

Other people should never tighten anything without a torque wrench.

I have even seen people that should not tighten anything even with a torque wrench.:doh:

:sign20: