IGNORED

Clicking noise, and it won't start....

Tisunac

I was out of state for about a month or so and I didn't start my bike for that period of time. Yesterday I tried to start it - when turned the key to "contact" I could hear a clicking noise (like a pump or something) for about 10 sec or so and the bike won't start after that. It will turn just fine and it "feels" like it will start but it can't. Charged the battery overnight with no results. It's turning but it almost feel as it doesn't have any fuel (tank is full).

Any suggestion (before I tow it to a mechanic)??? Thanks for your time.

1999 Venture 2nd gen

The clicking you hear is the fuel pump. After the bike sits for an extended time, the gas in the carb. bowls evaporates and the carbs must be filled before it'll start. To to this, get on the bike and hold it relatively level. Turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump to run. The fuel pump will run for a couple of seconds, and then the ignition module will shut the pump off it the engine isn't turning over. To defeat this, turn the key OFF (on a 1st. Gen you can just turn the kill switch off. I'm not sure about 2nd. Gens, but they are probably the same) and then back on. The fuel pump will run again. Keep on repeating this until the fuel pump gets the bowls full and stops running. When this happens, you won't hear the pump run when you first turn on the key. Then attempt to start the bike.